Consecutive sentences?

Consecutive sentences?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
24 Dec 10

Originally posted by utherpendragon
being .08 bac which is legally drunk doesnt fit into this scenario of yours. this sounds like someone who is about 3x the legal limit.
I agree. I think the system is a joke. It is designed as a taxing system to fill the coffers of cities and states; nothing more and nothing less. If no damages occur, nothing should be done. Once damages occur, no leniency.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
24 Dec 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I'm sure if your children were without the love and comfort of their mother for the rest of their lives as a result of some ass-wipe three-time offender who decided it was okay to get crap-faced drunk, drive at excessive speeds and blow through red lights as he plowed into your wife's car--- thereby killing her--- you would comfort yourself and your childr ...[text shortened]... life-affirming human being.

Sorry: I value life a hell of a lot more than you do, I guess.
If it happened to me, I'd want the mo-fo skinned alive. But that's not the point. The justice system cannot be based on what the victim wants.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
24 Dec 10

Originally posted by sh76
If it happened to me, I'd want the mo-fo skinned alive. But that's not the point. The justice system cannot be based on what the victim wants.
Two swings, two misses. The measure of love is response-based--- decidedly not reactionary-based. The justice system is a loose approximation of a more concrete form of reality: God is aggrieved; what does God want?

Planet Rain

Moves
24 Dec 10

Of course, we could invoke chaos theory and the butterfly effect here and just say everyone should get the death penalty because everyone is at least indirectly the cause of the death of others.

HG

Moves
25 Dec 10
1 edit

My cousins 2 children were hit by a drunken woman right in their own front lawn,,,,
she had several convictions already,, I'd have wanted her shot,, sorry, you have to be in their shoes I guess...

K

Germany

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I agree. I think the system is a joke. It is designed as a taxing system to fill the coffers of cities and states; nothing more and nothing less. If no damages occur, nothing should be done. Once damages occur, no leniency.
That's a pretty odd brand of justice. So if for e.g. an employer is not following safety regulations, he should not be fined, but if some deadly accident occurs because regulations were not followed, he should be tried for murder?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
That's a pretty odd brand of justice. So if for e.g. an employer is not following safety regulations, he should not be fined, but if some deadly accident occurs because regulations were not followed, he should be tried for murder?
Get rid of the safety regs.

If an employee causes the death of another employee he should be tried for manslaughter same as would happen should the incident occur outside work

If an employee causes his own death, thems the breaks eh. If an employer has a bad track record you know what you're letting yourself in for if you choose to work there.

K

Germany

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by Wajoma

If an employee causes the death of another employee he should be tried for manslaughter same as would happen should the incident occur outside work

If an employee causes his own death, thems the breaks eh. If an employer has a bad track record you know what you're letting yourself in for if you choose to work there.
That's an excellent idea, so employers would have to choose between not being competitive, or risking the lives of their employees and a prison sentence. Wajomastan would be a lovely place, though you'd might have to fence it to stop people from fleeing.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
25 Dec 10

That's an excellent idea, so employers would have to choose between not being competitive, or risking the lives of their employees and a prison sentence. Wajomastan would be a lovely place, though you'd might have to fence it to stop people from fleeing.
I don't think you quite understand the concept of the non-initation of force. The fence would represent an initiation of force. Maybe we're getting a bit too abstract for you.

K

Germany

Moves
25 Dec 10

I don't think you quite understand the concept of the non-initation of force. The fence would represent an initiation of force. Maybe we're getting a bit too abstract for you.
I'm sure those dead miners in China would agree.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
25 Dec 10

I'm sure those dead miners in China would agree.
Mining is a dangerous business.

K

Germany

Moves
25 Dec 10

Mining is a dangerous business.
Yes, equally dangerous everywhere regardless of regulation and enforcement. But you aren't truly free unless you're dead, right?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
25 Dec 10

Yes, equally dangerous everywhere regardless of regulation and enforcement. But you aren't truly free unless you're dead, right?
You're being very silly tonight, dead people can't agree or disagree with anything, and if you think so it's a debate for the spirituality board.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
25 Dec 10

You're being very silly tonight, dead people can't agree or disagree with anything, and if you think so it's a debate for the spirituality board.
They could be approximately dead?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Dec 10

The present system where we have less dead people and less people in prison then would be the case under your proposal seems preferable.