1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 03:40
    "A fake vaccination program reportedly orchestrated by the CIA in Abbottabad, Pakistan, may have helped the United States gather information about the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed in May 2011. But it also breached a principle of global health, that the workers who provide relief in the form of food, water, or vaccines against preventable illnesses such as polio, operate outside the realm of politics and national interests to meet basic human needs."

"Following the raid, Pakistan officials forced out workers from an aid organization that had been operating in the country for decades. Since December, at least 11 polio vaccination workers have been killed there in a series of attacks..."

http://www.boston.com/whitecoatnotes/2013/02/28/boston-physician-cia-vaccination-scheme-pakistan-undermined-global-public-health-efforts/SQqRWEpaCa17VcpptMZWHO/story.html#

"Although some U.S. policymakers consider immediate national security concerns a higher priority than long-term global health efforts, the CIA’s false vaccination campaign in Pakistan may cause collateral damage with profound long-term implications for national security. If every aid worker with a syringe is suspected of being a spy, the children, families, and communities of the world will no longer have protection against our greatest killers. Ultimately, if the neutrality of public health efforts is undermined, the world will become a more violent and unhealthy place."

Any thoughts on how to weight the benefits and drawbacks - and the long term implications - in a case like this?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 06:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    "A fake vaccination program reportedly orchestrated by the CIA in Abbottabad, Pakistan, may have helped the United States gather information about the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed in May 2011. But it also breached a principle of global health, that the workers who provide relief in the form of food, water, or vaccines against preventable illnesses s ...[text shortened]... weight the benefits and drawbacks - and the long term implications - in a case like this?
    This song has stuck with me ever since I heard it. I wish I could get all the lyrics.

"Aid travel with a bomb."

The song:

YouTube

The lyrics: Apparently not available on line.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 09:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    "A fake vaccination program reportedly orchestrated by the CIA in Abbottabad, Pakistan, may have helped the United States gather information about the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed in May 2011. But it also breached a principle of global health, that the workers who provide relief in the form of food, water, or vaccines against preventable illnesses s ...[text shortened]... weight the benefits and drawbacks - and the long term implications - in a case like this?
    horrible.

the cia must promise never to be caught doing that again.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 11:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    "A curse on both their Houses"
  5. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 13:24
    "reportedly orchestrated by the CIA".......
    Reported by who?
    How would they know?
    Is there any verification for this claim?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 13:46
    It's a sad story. It was irresponsible of the CIA to use this tactic, because they could and should have realized it could lead to a backlash on vaccination programmes. Said backlash even spread to other countries - in Nigeria nine polio vaccination workers have been killed in February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21381773
  7. Germany
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    "reportedly orchestrated by the CIA".......
    Reported by who?
    How would they know?
    Is there any verification for this claim?
    You can find plenty of sources online. A quick Google gives the following article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/cia-vaccine-ruse-in-pakistan-may-have-harmed-polio-fight.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Local anger was at its height last July, when The Guardian exposed the C.I.A. connection. It was confirmed by Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta in January.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '13 18:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's a sad story. It was irresponsible of the CIA to use this tactic, because they could and should have realized it could lead to a backlash on vaccination programmes. Said backlash even spread to other countries - in Nigeria nine polio vaccination workers have been killed in February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21381773
    It sounds like there is more than one reason for these killings.

I think the CIA and related agencies and the decision makers have become accustomed to there being collateral damage in targeted killings. One factor would be the manner of that damage. I don't know what is more troubling -- the idea that they didn't think about these consequences, or the idea that they did think about them. I think they are creative enough and have the discipline to have considered these consequences and they decided that on net, it was in their interests (they would say in the interests of their country) to go ahead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree