1. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So these 140 aircraft from your text are coming all from Europe? 😵 What a moron. In case you didn't know, most of the people are NOT coming from Europe.

Secondly, of course a top government official doesn't have time to waste so flying by plane is perfectly justified. Especially if it's to broker a deal that could actually save the world.

But tell me, elying on think-tanks to think for you when attacking scientists guilty of doing the same.
    the people going to copenhagen should be the first to reduce their carbon footprint, instead, they're raising theirs and telling the rest of us to lower ours.

europe has the densest concentration of nations, conveniently located for rail travel to copenhagen.

do you think ALL the leaders have to travel by rail to realize a carbon savings?

but even better, if world leaders are so concerned, they could ALL videconference, reduce their travel expenditure to ZERO atoms of CO2 emitted, SAVE the PLANET, and leave a PAPER TRAIL.

i'm not getting your last bit ... i am not PAID to dispassionately examine the verity of AGW Theory ...
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 10:061 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the people going to copenhagen should be the first to reduce their carbon footprint, instead, they're raising theirs and telling the rest of us to lower ours.

europe has the densest concentration of nations, conveniently located for rail travel to copenhagen.

do you think ALL the leaders have to travel by rail to realize a carbon savings?

but even etting your last bit ... i am not PAID to dispassionately examine the verity of AGW Theory ...

No, I don't agree. I think no job in a country should be as important as the head of government so these are the LAST that should cut emissions. If they have to raise it minimally (I'd like to see those ridiculous figures for the Morocco equivalence, I bet just the Casablanca airport has more than 140 flights in a week and, if not, it's pretty damn close).

Conveniently located? Do you even have an idea of how long it takes to travel by train from most European countries to Copenhagen? And most don't have high-speed rail.

I don't think any leaders should travel by rail just to satisfy your pathetic populism. They are the LAST that should be cutting on their carbon savings.

but even better, if world leaders are so concerned, they could ALL videconference, reduce their travel expenditure to ZERO atoms of CO2 emitted, SAVE the PLANET, and leave a PAPER TRAIL.
    That's just not how international diplomacy works and it's disingenuous to believe it. Tell you what, they force YOU, me and everybody else to cut their emissions and the planet is saved.

i am not PAID to dispassionately examine the verity of AGW Theory ...
    LOL, exactly. The Cato Institute think tank is the one being paid to give you propaganda and you happily gulp it down for free like a good boy.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 18:58
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/eureka/article6935211.ece

December 3, 2009
    Greenwash: The last chance to stop global warming...until next time
    The Copenhagen summit is part of a never-ending circus that is about so much more than just climate change

(graphic) (presumably travel methods from London to Copenhagen):

0 kg: Walking (and swimming, it would take about 26 days)
    27 kg: Train (via Eurotunnel)
    120 kg: Motorbike (and ferry)
    277 kg: Ferry (Harwich to Esbjerg and car)
    400 kg: Plane (Heathrow to Copenhagen)
    480 kg: Car (via Eurotunnel)
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 18:59
    they forgot

0 kg: Videoconferencing
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 19:01

December 3, 2009
    The Copenhagen summit is part of a never-ending circus that is about so much more than just climate change

0 kg: Walking (an ...[text shortened]... wich to Esbjerg and car)
    It takes 13 hours to travel by train from Brussels to Copenhagen (follow your own link).
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 19:07

December 3, 2009

0 kg: Walking (an ...[text shortened]... wich to Esbjerg and car)

COPs usually attract about 5,000 delegates, observers and journalists, but the sense of the world being on the edge of an abyss means that about double that number will be in Copenhagen. The same number of activists are expected to travel to the city, many staying in the hippy commune of Christiania where they will plot various stunts and blockades.
    Related Links

* Outlook is hazy for emissions labels

* Is the idea of carbon trading just hot air?

Most will arrive by plane, generating an enormous carbon footprint, though a special climate express will carry 400 delegates on a 13-hour train ride from Brussels to Copenhagen. Yet when the conference ends and no one is watching, many of the rail martyrs will quietly fly home.

The delegates may come from 192 countries but they all belong to the same travelling circus and they greet each other like old friends. Many going to Copenhagen are veterans of the Rio Earth Summit of 1992. And in addition to the annual COPs, these delegates attend smaller meetings several times a year. Last month they met for five days in Barcelona at the final UN climate talks before Copenhagen. They spent a week in Bangkok in October. In recent years, the circus has also been to Buenos Aires, Marrakesh, Milan, Montreal, Nairobi and Bali.

Spending so much time away from home gives delegates plenty of opportunity to continue their discussions in a more intimate manner outside the conference hall. This is known in COP circles as carbon dating. Bill Hare, an Australian climate scientist and COP veteran, met his wife, one of the German Government’s climate change negotiators, at the Kyoto summit in 1997. “I’m aware of several other couples who met at these climate meetings. It’s not surprising given how much time we spend together,” Hare says. “People refer to us as the dinosaurs because we have been attending the talks for so long.”

7. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 19:08
    It takes 13 hours to travel by train from Brussels to Copenhagen (follow your own link).
    and?
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 19:091 edit
    and?
    LOL! That's ironic coming from a paste and run guy.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 19:09

COPs usually attract about 5,000 delegates, observers and journalists, but the sense of the world being on the edge of an abyss means that about double that number will be in Copenhagen. The same number of activists are expected to travel to the city, many staying in the hippy commune of Christiania where they will plot various stunts and blockades. ...[text shortened]... ople refer to us as the dinosaurs because we have been attending the talks for so long.”

The main change that Hare has noticed in the past decade is the gradual disappearance of organisations that are sceptical about man-made climate change. They used to set up stall alongside environmental groups in the exhibition spaces outside conference halls. Now that space is monopolised by the green lobby, which also controls most of the fringe events.

There was almost no debate at the Barcelona conference about the causes of climate change or how quickly temperatures would rise. The delegates spent the whole time arguing over how to share the burden of dealing with the problem.

10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 19:12

The main change that Hare has noticed in the past decade is the gradual disappearance of organisations that are sceptical about man-made climate change. They used to set up stall alongside environmental groups in the exhibition spaces outside conference halls. Now that space is monopolised by the green lobby, which also controls most of the fringe e ...[text shortened]... s spent the whole time arguing over how to share the burden of dealing with the problem.

Funny, the flat-earth guys also started to disappear at some point in time.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 19:41
    LOL! That's ironic coming from a paste and run guy.
    and what's the big deal about 13 hours?
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 19:45
    i went to the Rail Europe site, while looking up a fare it showed a list of activities i might like to try while in europe, one of them was "looking up someone's kilt by mistake".
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 19:48
    i get 14.5 hours, 1930 to 1000 the next day.

but that's 14.5 hours they're not sitting at home, screwing you over!

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/results.htm?rows=&itemId=-1&fn=fsRequest&cobrand=public&c=USD&from1=&to1=&roundtrip=0&from0=Brussels&to0=copenhagen&deptDate0=01%2F05%2F2010&time0=anytime&time1=anytime&nA=1&nY=0&nC=0&nS=0
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 19:49
    if Al Gore took a rowboat from the US to Denmark, the potential savings could be in the trillions!
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 20:38
    if Al Gore took a rowboat from the US to Denmark, the potential savings could be in the trillions!
    Only if it sinks. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree