Copenhagen carbon footprint matches Morocoo 2006

Copenhagen carbon footprint matches Morocoo 2006

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicon valley

Moves
06 Dec 09

well, it's highly likely he wouldn't make it, that's what i was counting on.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
06 Dec 09

Not enough limos

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/

silicon valley

Moves
06 Dec 09

Originally posted by Wajoma
Not enough limos

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/copenhagen_cooking_with_gas/

Copenhagen: limos, private jets and an orgy of celebrities

Andrew Bolt
Monday, December 07, 2009 at 05:54am

The Copenhagen summit of global warmists is now a huge threat to the planet:

On a normal day, Majken Friss Jorgensen, managing director of Copenhagen’s biggest limousine company, says her firm has twelve vehicles on the road. During the “summit to save the world”, which opens here tomorrow, she will have 200.

“We thought they were not going to have many cars, due to it being a climate convention,” she says…

“We haven’t got enough limos in the country to fulfil the demand,” she says. “We’re having to drive them in hundreds of miles from Germany and Sweden.”

And the total number of electric cars or hybrids among that number? “Five,” says Ms Jorgensen…

The airport says it is expecting up to 140 extra private jets during the peak period alone, so far over its capacity that the planes will have to fly off to regional airports – or to Sweden – to park, returning to Copenhagen to pick up their VIP passengers.

As well 15,000 delegates and officials, 5,000 journalists and 98 world leaders, the Danish capital will be blessed by the presence of Leonardo DiCaprio, Daryl Hannah, Helena Christensen, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Prince Charles.

The glitterati had to destroy the planet in order to save it.

UPDATE

Glenn Reynolds:

I’ll believe it’s a crisis when the people who tell me it’s a crisis start acting like it’s a crisis.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 09
1 edit

Surely spending a whole thread attacking a conference on climate change by criticizing their modes of travel is as hypocritical and wasteful as the subject matter?
I bet you used up at least a ton of carbon credits with all the internet bandwidth, electricity needed for transmission, hard disk space etc not to mention my precious time reading it.

As for the original post, it doesn't say:
1. whether the conference facilities will be dismantled afterwards, and if so whether the carbon calculation subtracted the recycling value of the materials.
2. what reduction (if any) could be achieved by using other modes of transport etc.
3. whether teleconferencing is actually viable for such a large conference.
4. Why it is so important for the delegates to set a good example.

Lets take an analogy. When there is a conference discussing starvation in Ethiopia, is it important for the delegates to go on a diet for the period and only eat cheap food?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
13 Dec 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Surely spending a whole thread attacking a conference on climate change by criticizing their modes of travel is as hypocritical and wasteful as the subject matter?
I bet you used up at least a ton of carbon credits with all the internet bandwidth, electricity needed for transmission, hard disk space etc not to mention my precious time reading it.

As f ...[text shortened]... opia, is it important for the delegates to go on a diet for the period and only eat cheap food?
There's no hypocrisy on my part, I'm not the one making the "we're going to fry, we're going to fry" claims. Yes the whole thing could be done over the internet.

1. Whether or not the facilities are recycled the cost in assembling and dis-assembling cannot be subtracted, my concern is the monetary cost extracted from unwilling donors, the cost in carbon credits should be the concern of all the doom merchants attending the conference.

2. Astral travel

3. Yes, it is the sharing of information, exactly what the internet excells at.

4. Their private jets, first/business class travel, gas sucking limos define hypocrisy.

Your analogy is FAIL, unless a delegate happens to believe that the food they eat in Copenhagen (or where ever) i.e. their piece of the pie results in less pie for a hungry person in Ethiopia (Shav's property-less utopia) in which case if they were true to their principles they should be on a full time diet. Most realise wrapping their Big Mac up and sending to Ethiopia is not the answer to world hunger. This cannot be paralleled with burning up untold tonnes of fossil fuel for the sake of attending a conference about not burning up untold fossil fuel.