1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Mar '24 20:18
    @AverageJoe1
    You know, Sh76, any such discussion, by any of you, will all go back to the common denominator......You want successful people to pay for mistakes and poor choices of not-so-successful people.
    Say it.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 01:46
    @mott-the-hoople said
    have you ever considered what it would be like if everyone was college educated?

where would the jobs come from?
    More importantly, what Republican would ever get elected again?

Where would the stupid come from?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 01:481 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Yes, easier for some than others. Why say such a statement? Of course it is. Some people buy a Mercedes, some a two-door Ford. Do you want to rectify that, too???? My neighbor has 6 kids, I have one. He will have a much harder time getting his kids through college. I would attribute his problem to poor planning. The govt (your savior) has absolutely nothing to do wi ...[text shortened]... his life. Vinny will be supported by no one.
    You sure you want to have a discussion like this?
    A disingenuous given is disingenuous.

Everyone pays what they owe. No one pays for anyone else. That is WHY we have a government, to provide for the things listed in the Preamble. The least you could do is pay what you owe so that the Government can continue to make this a great country, even for those people who are poor, minorities or women.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 01:53
    @averagejoe1 said
    @AverageJoe1
    You know, Sh76, any such discussion, by any of you, will all go back to the common denominator......You want successful people to pay for mistakes and poor choices of not-so-successful people.
    Say it.
    Stop lying.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 11:34
    @suzianne said
    A disingenuous given is disingenuous.

Everyone pays what they owe. No one pays for anyone else. That is WHY we have a government, to provide for the things listed in the Preamble. The least you could do is pay what you owe so that the Government can continue to make this a great country, even for those people who are poor, minorities or women.
    I agree, the poor and destitute should be covered by our tax money, if you will. There are about 50M, including the illegal aliens.
    As you say, I pay my taxes to meet that end. (Biden has not paid all of his, BTW).

But you err when you say 'no one pays for any else'. We just started paying off loans for serious losers. So your statement is incorrect, a lie by your standards, and I have to type this instead of get started on my walk!!! I think I will carry a poster on a stick (where do you libs get these things) and broadcast that you said that!!!!
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 12:34
    @mott-the-hoople said
    I guess you missed the (edu) AJ included
    a disingenuous lib tactic
    Just trying to educate. 😉
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 12:39
    @averagejoe1 said
    @AverageJoe1
    Say it.
    I want successful people to pay for mistakes and poor choices of not-so-successful people.

Of course, like any other soundbite, it's a bit of an overstatement. so, let me rephrase:

I think it's in the best interest of society to give the less fortunate (for whatever reason) at least a minimum standard of living that preserves their dignity, self-esteem and willingness and ability to contribute to society.

So I believe in wealth redistribution for the sake of wealth redistribution? Absolutely not. Do I think rich people are inherently bad? Of course not. Do I think everyone is entitled to equal outcomes? Of course not. Do I think everyone is entitled to equal opportunity with corrections for factors such as family status and inherited wealth? Again, no! (read Harrison Bergeron if you want the logical extreme of such position)

BUT...

Do I want people to starve because they flunked out of school and can't do anything useful? No. Do I want people to be shut out of education because their parents were bad? No.

Poor people aren't "entitled" to rich people's money, but it's in ALL of our interests that poor people get every reasonable opportunity to improve their lives and basic living necessities.

Do you disagree?
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 13:201 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    Since you never attended college you wouldn't like to know what it is like being in debt for two hundred thousand and their pay less than 100 thou if they are lucky, 50K more like it. That is more like making a buck an hour in 1960.
    You never show (quote button) what you are resopnding to, SHouse. Gets tiring.
    So, you bring up two points: The American way, 'where there is a will there is a way' is applicable here. Communists, some on this Forum, do not get its meaning. I did it, myself, started from scratch,, Had the will, found a way. What is wrong with you slackers? Oh, get the money from the rich, like Baby Face Nelson did.
    Secondly, you write as if the college grads are the only ones in need of help paying off debt!!!!! hahaha. That sentence speaks for itself.

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

PLease don't wrtie about Trump, (anymore), I just can't take it.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 13:30
    @averagejoe1 said
    I agree, the poor and destitute should be covered by our tax money, if you will. There are about 50M, including the illegal aliens.
    As you say, I pay my taxes to meet that end. (Biden has not paid all of his, BTW).

But you err when you say 'no one pays for any else'. We just started paying off loans for serious losers. So your statement is incorrect, a lie by y ...[text shortened]... carry a poster on a stick (where do you libs get these things) and broadcast that you said that!!!!
    Pure, unmitigated BS.

More Republicans (I should say MAGAs) making stuff up.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 15:54
    @sh76
    Educate Moot, oxymoron...
  11. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 17:24
    @suzianne said
    Pure, unmitigated BS.

What is the BS? Whydo you libs leave things hanging to make us have to respond as I am responding right now?
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 20:311 edit
    @sh76 said
    I want successful people to pay for mistakes and poor choices of not-so-successful people.

Of course, like any other soundbite, it's a bit of an overstatement. so, let me rephrase:

I think it's in the best interest of society to give the less fortunate (for whatever reason) at least a minimum standard of living that preserves their dignity, self-esteem and willingness and ...[text shortened]... very reasonable opportunity to improve their lives and basic living necessities.

Do you disagree?
    I get your point and like everyone of us, am empathetic to the people who can truly not take care of themselves. I would venture that 95% of street people Can take care of themselves, and some enjoy that life.
    Your "paying for mistakes of people". is quite a stretch, and not practical to implement. I know a poster on this Forum who is looking for that kind of Nirvana, and would fake his way right into the money line. So, can't be done. You cannot even dream up a program for that, and frankly, we have plenty of programs like that already, some women have many babies so they get a bigger check each month.

Para three says 'less fortunate' people. I agree, but I think there are only 50M that would qualify as less fourtunate. So let us take care of them, as I have said here for years, and everyone else, in this country, can be self-reliant, make a living. This is the USA, not northern Africa. They can contribute to society, as you say, by getting a job. If married, they both get a job. Too many children.. that is a tough one. Bad choices, and mistakes, as you say above. Tough one. I am taking care of 6 children, should I take care of their kids too>?
    No I do not want people in the USA to starve, I do not think you can point out starving people, except average people who cannot afford Biden groceries. Flunkin out of school seems an easy tack for you to follow here, but it fails when you see many people, who for hundreds of years flunked out, but made a living.

Yes, we have an interest in poor people bettering their lives. The old American Way adage. So, opportunity abounds, yet you seem to imply that we give people fish instead of teaching them to fish.

You seem to have jumped around many of thread issues, but do not get to the crux of what to do. If we DO do something, it would mean more government programs, agencies, handouts, and finding money to fund them all. Never forget for a moment that no matter what libs churn out, under the pretense that 'this will solve the problem". It will NEVER solve the problem. 50M people need help. I see them in the soup line at Church every Tuesday. Me, I also work with 'At Risk' children,,,job corps activities, etc. Save the children. Teach them how to make the right choices. It is too late for people who just, well, don't get off of first base. And, Those that are NOT part of the 50M.
  13. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 20:40
    @suzianne said
    Pure, unmitigated BS.

If sue does not answer this I am going to re-post!!!!!
    Forewarned is Forearmed!!

Oh, I just reposted it.....
  14. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 00:23
    @AverageJoe1 said to Sonhouse:
    😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

PLease don't wrtie about Trump, (anymore), I just can't take it.
    ------------------------

Telling Sonhouse not to talk about Trump is like telling a fish not to drink water LOL
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 00:29
    @sh76 said

I think it's in the best interest of society to give the less fortunate (for whatever reason) at least a minimum standard of living that preserves their dignity, self-esteem and willingness and ...[text shortened]... very reasonable opportunity to improve their lives and basic living necessities.

Do you disagree?
    you forget the people that are not "poor". The ones that are over the imaginary line you drew. The ones who can't afford to go to college because they missed one imagibary line or another and now have to enter into debt for life.

the ones who didn't get yearly doctor checkups because the copay was murder and now they have terminal cancer.

the ones who have to go die in wars because some rich ashole wants a multibillion military contract

the ones who go bankrupt because billionaires gamble with the world economy.

it's so nice you're willing to feed the hungry and the poor. The rest who aren't poor enough by your standard? Get to work, make your masters richer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree