1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 12:40
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NNpkv3Us1I

Crisis pregnancy centers deceptively steer women away from abortion.
    So, someone who subscribes to a political movement that uses the term "pro-choice" as a proxy for "pro-abortion" is complaining that the "Center for Pregnancy Choices" is being misleading because it does NOT counsel abortion.

That makes sense.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 13:34
    Originally posted by @sh76
    So, someone who subscribes to a political movement that uses the term "pro-choice" as a proxy for "pro-abortion" is complaining that the "Center for Pregnancy Choices" is being misleading because it does NOT counsel abortion.

That makes sense.
    oh, honey, trying to be a grammar nazi is annoying in itself but doubly so when you are far off.

If you insist on being technical, the term "pro-abortion" implies abortion is a grand idea, that most women should have as many as possible. The term "pro-choice" means abortion or carrying to term then raising it or giving it up for adoption should be up to the woman in question and nobody else, which is what the pro-choice movement has been about all along.

If you insist on talking about hypocritical terms, "pro-life" is a fun one. Life starts at conception so it is a pro-lifer's holy duty to force a human being to carry a bundle of replicating cells to term against her will. Of course once that bundle of joy is born, the pro-lifer is often nowhere to be found. Little or no assistance in raising it, barely any healthcare, little education spending, no crusade to end child poverty in the US, etc.
    A pro-lifer is quite often also very pro-gun, a decidedly anti-life device. A pro-lifer is also pro-death penalty.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:102 edits
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    oh, honey, trying to be a grammar nazi is annoying in itself but doubly so when you are far off.

If you insist on being technical, the term "pro-abortion" implies abortion is a grand idea, that most women should have as many as possible. The term "pro-choice" means abortion or carrying to term then raising it or giving it up for adoption should be up to ...[text shortened]... e often also very pro-gun, a decidedly anti-life device. A pro-lifer is also pro-death penalty.
    I'll settle for "pro-right to abortion."

Pro "choice" is nonsense when only one of the "choices" is controversial.

The "pro-life" movement would be more correctly characterized as "anti-abortion." I'll stipulate to that.

All sides of the abortion debate love using misleading titles. Center for Pregnancy Choices is not any more misleading than "Planned (non-) Parenthood."
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:53
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I'll settle for "pro-right to abortion."

Pro "choice" is nonsense when only one of the "choices" is controversial.

The "pro-life" movement would be more correctly characterized as "anti-abortion." I'll stipulate to that.

All sides of the abortion debate love using misleading titles. Center for Pregnancy Choices is not any more misleading than "Planned (non-) Parenthood."
    "Pro "choice" is nonsense when only one of the "choices" is controversial."
    yes, "choice" only has meaning as a word when right wingers agree with every choice. Sarcasm aside, a woman gets pregnant. She wants more choice than "keep it". Her reasons are her own. Her body is her own. And since I can't force you to donate a kidney to someone on dialysis, you shouldn't be allowed to basically deprive a woman of her freedom.

"The "pro-life" movement would be more correctly characterized as "anti-abortion." I'll stipulate to that."
    i agree.

"All sides of the abortion debate love using misleading titles. Center for Pregnancy Choices is not any more misleading than "Planned (non-) Parenthood.""
    i am sure you will tell us all about how planned parenthood is misleading. perhaps you go into a planned parenthood clinic (you have to be quick, they will soon to be extinct thanks to republicans) hoping they will make you a parent and they do abortions on you? or they lie to you you're pregnant when you're not?
    Do try to explain how planned parenthood is misleading in another thread though. Even if what you're saying isn't a load of crap, it isn't relevant to this topic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree