Death panels vs throwing grandma off cliff

Death panels vs throwing grandma off cliff

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
27 May 11
2 edits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?OGnE83A1Z4U

Simply put, you have to see this clip. It's hysterical. Unfortunately, it was not suppose to be funny, rather, it was made in response to Congressman Ryan's proposal to "fix" medicare. Demcrats want us to believe that Republicans want to kill old people.

So who does the best fear mongering? In addition, is either side on the side of truth? Does Obamacare produce death panels and/or do Republicans want to let old people die?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
do Republicans want to let old people die?
Of course not. But sensationalism is very much bipartisan, unfortunately.

F

Moves
27 May 11

Originally posted by wittywonka
Whodey was, of course, the poster who dutifully regurgitated the scaremongering 'Death Panels' propaganda here at RHP. Seems he's trying to distance himself from it now.

w

Moves
27 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
Whodey was, of course, the poster who dutifully regurgitated the scaremongering 'Death Panels' propaganda here at RHP. Seems he's trying to distance himself from it now.
Persaonlly, I think both parties want to kill off all the seniors. It sure beats flipping the bill for their parents and grandparents. In addition, there would be no need to make visitation arrangements with them. After all, they are all very important and busy people. 😵

Hy-Brasil

Moves
27 May 11
1 edit

Simply put, you have to see this clip. It's hysterical. Unfortunately, it was not suppose to be funny, rather, it was made in response to Congressman Ryan's proposal to "fix" medicare. Demcrats want us to believe that Republicans want to kill old people.

So who does the best fear mongering? In addition, is ei ...[text shortened]... ruth? Does Obamacare produce death panels and/or do Republicans want to let old people die?
Its funny how the " ryan plan" affects no one over 55. but looking at the commercial you would never know that.

U

Moves
27 May 11
1 edit

So who does the best fear mongering? In addition, is ei ...[text shortened]... ruth? Does Obamacare produce death panels and/or do Republicans want to let old people die?
The Republicans were scaring people blatant lies.
The Democrats are scaring people with the truth.

Big difference there. While I don't particularly favor the commercial it is not intended to say Republicans "want" to kill seniors. It's a hyperbolic depiction of the result of Ryan's plan.

U

Moves
27 May 11

Originally posted by utherpendragon
Its funny how the " ryan plan" affects no one over 55. but looking at the commercial you would never know that.
I guess the fact that it affects everyone under 55 when we all turn 65 is only a minor detail.

w

Moves
27 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

Big difference there. While I don't particularly favor the commercial it is not intended to say Republicans "want" to kill seniors. It's a hyperbolic depiction of the result of Ryan's plan.
Here we go!! (I have to say its a nice change from FMF trying to muster up anything I may have said in the last 10 years that could be used against me even if it means twisting what I"ve said in the past.)

So the Dems fear monger with the truth and the GOP with lies. Do tell, how is the commercial fear mongering with the truth?

w

Moves
27 May 11

Originally posted by wittywonka
So when the GOP talks about death panels you would think that Dems are all of a sudden worried that our politicians are not straight shooters with us. However, when the Dems do it its just business as usual?

Ok my partisan friend, how is Ryans plan going to help kill off all the old folk?

w

Moves
27 May 11

I thought the GOP was the party of "No"? They have no ideas but simply say "No" to any plans the Dems have. But now that they have a plan they are all a bunch of murderous thugs. Hmmm. I suppose they go from one extreme to the other.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
27 May 11

Oh, come on. You don't really believe that, do you?

BOTH parties feed this hysterical nonsense to the unwashed masses in the hopes of swaying a few moderates who don't have the time or interest to pay close attention to what is actually happening.

You think the Dems stick to the truth while Republicans lie in these attack ads?

Get real.

U

Moves
27 May 11

Whodey, let's look at the factual claims made in the video.

1: In 1965 Americans made Medicare into law.

2: Today Medicare provides health insurance for 46 million Americans.

3: More the half of Americans on Medicare live on less than $28,000 per year.

4: Now Republicans want to privatize Medicare.

Whodey, which one of these claims is a lie?

U

Moves
27 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
Oh, come on. You don't really believe that, do you?

BOTH parties feed this hysterical nonsense to the unwashed masses in the hopes of swaying a few moderates who don't have the time or interest to pay close attention to what is actually happening.

You think the Dems stick to the truth while Republicans lie in these attack ads?

Get real.
I didn't say the Democrats never lie. What I did say is that this commerical doesn't tell any lies, whereas Whodey's "death panel" example made Politifact's lie of the year award.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
27 May 11

I didn't say the Democrats never lie. What I did say is that this commerical doesn't tell any lies, whereas Whodey's "death panel" example made Politifact's lie of the year award.
Oh okay, I thought you were making a general statement. The link doesn't seem to work so I haven't even seen the ad in the OP.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
27 May 11

By the way, "death panels" (in one form or another) are inevitable anyway.

We can't go on pouring an infinite amount of federal funds into keeping vegetables on life support.

Go catch a poltiician admitting that though...