1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 17:59
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/73543-senate-votes-to-raise-debt-limit-by-290-billion

Wouldn't it be great if real people could do this?

Uh-oh! My credit card is almost maxed out! What should I do? Oh, I have an idea. I'll vote myself a higher credit limit. Cool. That was close.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:01
    Originally posted by sh76

Uh-oh! My credit card is almost maxed out! What should I do? Oh, I have an idea. I'll vote myself a higher credit limit. Cool. That was close.
    Call your credit card company. They actually might do it.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:01
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/73543-senate-votes-to-raise-debt-limit-by-290-billion

Wouldn't it be great if real people could do this?

Are you kidding? They do. So long as you're still current with your payments I've never heard of a credit card company declining someone for a higher limit.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:081 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Are you kidding? They do. So long as you're still current with your payments I've never heard of a credit card company declining someone for a higher limit.
    And people wonder why we had a credit crisis. Its bad enough it happened, but some people have learned NOTHING from it.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:11
    Yes, but you need the permission of the credit issuer.

I don't think Congress called the Chinese to ask permission to increase the national debt.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:17
    Yes, but you need the permission of the credit issuer.

I don't think Congress called the Chinese to ask permission to increase the national debt.
    A better question is what will happen to the US once CHina cuts off their money? Will it be a stimulus package every year?
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    A better question is what will happen to the US once CHina cuts off their money? Will it be a stimulus package every year?
    Then we pray.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:24
    Passed only because Voinovich crossed over. What would have happened, I wonder, had it not passed.

Also related, you might enjoy this article to ease your long winter's nap tonight. It's about just who bought the half trillion in US treasuries this year listed as the "other investors" in the latest US Treasury Bulletin. The speculation is that it was, in fact, no one. Sweet dreams.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/Sprott%20December.pdf
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:25
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Then we pray.
    To who, the messiah?

Yep, I suppose that is the statist plan when China cuts them off from their heroin supply. I just hope I'm not around when they are forced to detox.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 18:29
    To who, the messiah?
    It's nice to see you submit to petty, meaningless catch phrases from the right like "the Messiah"

Funny how Conservatives pin that phrase on the left but I only ever hear the right using it.
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 19:21
    To who, the messiah?

Yep, I suppose that is the statist plan when China cuts them off from their heroin supply. I just hope I'm not around when they are forced to detox.
    Tough choices were made. Did the debt save the economy? Will we rebound? I think that it's all conjecture at this day and time.

I have to say, whoday, I consistantly hope that you're wrong about all this, since you only see the dark side.

I would think that you would also hope that you're totally wrong about what you see in the political and financial world's future. Why not hope that it all works out?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 19:221 edit
    It's nice to see you submit to petty, meaningless catch phrases from the right like "the Messiah"

Funny how Conservatives pin that phrase on the left but I only ever hear the right using it.
    Unfortunatly, there is nothing funny about the deficits we are running up for future generations. All we talk about are other petty meaningless issues such as catch phrases
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 19:25
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Tough choices were made. Did the debt save the economy? Will we rebound? I think that it's all conjecture at this day and time.

I have to say, whoday, I consistantly hope that you're wrong about all this, since you only see the dark side.

I would think that you would also hope that you're totally wrong about what you see in the political and financial world's future. Why not hope that it all works out?
    When is debt a good thing? Its like smoking two packs a day and bumping it up to three packs a day all the whlle hoping you don't die of lung cancer or a heart attack. Of course, I can't prove that this will not happen, but the chances are it will.

What can I say, I hope I'm wrong. However, if I am right and people like me, get prepared for the lefts worst nighmare which will be Glenn Beck as the next commander and chief!! Mwaa, mwaa, mwaahahahaha!!
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 20:28
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Passed only because Voinovich crossed over. What would have happened, I wonder, had it not passed.

Also related, you might enjoy this article to ease your long winter's nap tonight. It's about just who bought the half trillion in US treasuries this year listed as the "other investors" in the latest US Treasury Bulletin. The speculation is that it wa ...[text shortened]... no one. Sweet dreams.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/Sprott%20December.pdf
    Would they have filibustered this?
  15. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 21:11
    Debt is a good thing at manageable levels, like 5% of income when that debt is an investment, or like financing an education that will raise future incomes, or even a home to own rather than always renting. For governments, with all the income they generation and affordable debt, I could understand 30% of GDP for many investments, but not 80% of GDP for many consumptions... that's like mortgaging your future so you can buy a lexus.... which I guess is what the voters were doing to themselves anyway, so now the government is representing the voter by copying rather than governing...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree