Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 06 Oct '09 15:42 / 1 edit
    http://the-classic-liberal.com/deliver-us-obama/

    This video came from last December, not recently, which means that the lunacy preceded the current debate over ObamaCare. This was at the tail end of the Democrats’ campaign attempt to cast their agenda in religious terms of social justice, although they have certainly picked up that effort again over the summer. If anything, it reminds people of just how bad Democrats and left-wing groups are at this kind of campaign. No one there seems to realize how shocking and sacreligious this will sound to actual churchgoers, who will rightly recoil at the worship of Obama as an idol in place of the actual Deity.

    Now can we admit that the President has built a weird cult of personality around him? … [T]he assembled health care activists from Obama’s first community organizing effort in Chicago pray to the President to give them what they want and to deliver them from their enemies.

    That goes just a touch beyond creepy, I think.
  2. 06 Oct '09 15:56
  3. 06 Oct '09 15:56 / 1 edit
    At the bottom of the clip, there's a note wondering whether the crowds are actually saying "Hear Our Cry, Oh God!" instead of "Hear Our Cry, Obama!"

    With the words on the screen saying "Hear Our Cry, Obama!" it does sound like that that is what they're saying. But if I close my eyes and try to hear what they're actually saying, it does sound more like "Hear Our Cry, Oh God!" Given the bad acoustics, you can make a good argument either way.

    Maybe someone could go back to one of these meetings with better equipment so we can get something more definitive on this?
  4. 06 Oct '09 16:00
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    At the bottom of the clip, there's a note wondering whether the crowds are actually saying "Hear Our Cry, Oh God!" instead of "Hear Our Cry, Obama"

    With the words on the screen saying "Hear Our Cry, Obama!" it does sound like that that is what they're saying. But if I close my eyes and try to hear what they're actually saying, it does sound more like " ...[text shortened]... these meetings with better equipment so we can get something more definitive on this?
    I did the same thing you did, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.I clearly hear 3 syllables not 1.
  5. 06 Oct '09 16:04
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I did the same thing you did, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.I clearly hear 3 syllables not 1.
    and I did not hear 3 syllables - at least none that I could discern as saying "Obama"

    of course, with the bad acoustics and so many people in the room, not everyone is going to be saying the word "God" at precisely the same time - so that could explain why you hear multiple syllables.
  6. 06 Oct '09 16:13
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    and I did not hear 3 syllables - at least none that I could discern as saying "Obama"

    of course, with the bad acoustics and so many people in the room, not everyone is going to be saying the word "God" at precisely the same time - so that could explain why you hear multiple syllables.
    Well I just did it for a fifth time.Eyes closed and head phones on.No doubt what so ever.They are clearly saying OBAMA
  7. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    06 Oct '09 16:18
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Well I just did it for a fifth time.Eyes closed and head phones on.No doubt what so ever.They are clearly saying OBAMA
    I've done the same thing four or five times, and I agree that it could be that they are saying 'Obama' - but the acoustics and the recording are really bad, and they could be saying 'God' - particularly, as suggested, if they are out of synch. I'm just not sure - even the author of the site linked to accepted that there was a possibility they could be saying 'God' (although he doubts it).

    That leaves me with the impression that either (i) you have preternaturally good hearing or (ii) you're hearing what you want to hear. You might like to prefer the first option, but how much credence do you give to the second?
  8. 06 Oct '09 16:20
    I just did the same thing again -- and I definitely hear "God", not "Obama".

    The thing that really bothered me though -- the trombone player is REALLY annoying.
  9. 06 Oct '09 16:23
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I just did the same thing again -- and I definitely hear "God", not "Obama".

    The thing that really bothered me though -- the trombone player is REALLY annoying.
    lol Ya,the trombone player needs to go!

    I guess we are going to hear what we want to hear,no convincing each other any differnt
  10. 06 Oct '09 16:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I've done the same thing four or five times, and I agree that it could be that they are saying 'Obama' - but the acoustics and the recording are really bad, and they could be saying 'God' - particularly, as suggested, if they are out of synch. I'm just not sure - even the author of the site linked to accepted that there was a possibility they coul might like to prefer the first option, but how much credence do you give to the second?
    I do have excellent hearing for the record.
    Wearing the head phones really made the difference for me though.You can clearly hear a young womans voice (at least once) say OBAMA above but in unison with the other monotone voices
  11. 06 Oct '09 16:33
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    http://the-classic-liberal.com/deliver-us-obama/

    This video came from last December, not recently, which means that the lunacy preceded the current debate over ObamaCare. This was at the tail end of the Democrats’ campaign attempt to cast their agenda in religious terms of social justice, although they have certainly picked up that effort ...[text shortened]... y want and to deliver them from their enemies.

    That goes just a touch beyond creepy, I think.
    for once the democrats have appealed to religion, which is strange considering that has been one the favorite republican tactics.

    let them do it, its not like the general population is stupid to the point of actually believing Obama is some kind of messiah.
  12. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    06 Oct '09 21:14
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I do have excellent hearing for the record.
    Wearing the head phones really made the difference for me though.You can clearly hear a young womans voice (at least once) say OBAMA above but in unison with the other monotone voices
    Nice work, sir. "I guess we are going to hear what we want to hear,no convincing each other any differnt [sic]" but you're still right!/ Nice.
  13. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    06 Oct '09 21:21
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I just did the same thing again -- and I definitely hear "God", not "Obama".

    The thing that really bothered me though -- the trombone player is REALLY annoying.
    I just did it to myself 5 times and the entire neighborhood could hear me scream "oh God"

    GRANNY.
  14. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    06 Oct '09 21:25
    Since your genitals are made of glue (or a non-specific glue-substitute), I'm not all that surprised...
  15. 06 Oct '09 22:02
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I do have excellent hearing for the record.
    Wearing the head phones really made the difference for me though.You can clearly hear a young womans voice (at least once) say OBAMA above but in unison with the other monotone voices
    I just listened to it using headphones. I'm not blaming you for this because it's an honest mistake. YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE THE FRICKING TIN FOIL.

    It's not even a question, they are clearly saying "oh, God"