1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It must be noted that the patients do not pay for it, the government does.
    There is no real risk of anyone being price gouged into poverty, but there is a risk of poor standards if oversight is not carried out properly.
    If people have crap health insurance, which the Republicans would LOVE to foist off onto everybody (except themselves), yes, they CAN be "price-gouged" into poverty.

A cancer diagnosis is the most common path for this.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:13
    Originally posted by quackquack
    There does come a point where peoples obligations to pay for others has been fulfilled.
    Witness the mental gymnastics the rich have to perform in order to feel better about letting the poor die.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:15
    There does come a point where peoples obligations to pay for others has been fulfilled.
    In an apparent Great Nation where veterans and first responders are treated shamefully I suppose your comment perfectly reflects the reality facing the unsung heroes who have been willing to give all in service to their fellow citizens.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:203 edits
    Originally posted by kmax87
    In an apparent Great Nation where veterans and first responders are treated shamefully I suppose your comment perfectly reflects the reality facing the unsung heroes who have been willing to give all in service to their fellow citizens.
    Why do veterans opt out of the VA at times?

It's because their care is government run and often subpar.

That's what you want for all of us.

I remember recruiters dangling the idea of free medical care for life if only I would join the army. Then I see what happens to military men who have health problems in the military as they are given subpar treatment, or just kicked out of the service without any health coverage at all, or they are put on secret death lists.

Disgusting

Now the country is having the same carrot dangled in front of them with a single payer system.

Some things never change.

Here is a 100% truth, nothing is ever "free" and you get what you pay for.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:30
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    wooo wooo zahlazi is scaring us with the profits bogey man.

You know profit, the difference between what something costs to produce and what it's value is to someone.
    A medical services organization can operate as a successful non-profit corporation while its employees are paid salaries and have benefits that are competitive with for-profit medical services organizations. Taking out the corporate shareholder profit motive both saves money and minimizes the issue of ownership interests conflicting with employee and member interests.. An example is Kaiser Permanente which provides care to over 11 million members.
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why do veterans opt out of the VA at times?

It's because their care is government run and often subpar.

That's what you want for all of us.
    Tell you what, Representatives and Senators in Congress get access to Government funded health care that apparently is first class. If I were an American, surely this level of care, enjoyed by both wings of Congress would be the type of coverage the ordinary citizens should demand. How about for just one minute all the alt right snowflakes stopped wasting all their energy demanding the right to be offended and channelled that rage into getting Congress level healthcare for everyone.

And if you're worried about how to pay for it, why not shave off a couple of percent off the military budget? If you want smaller government and being bankrupted less often, a slightly smaller military might mean taking a keener interest in diplomacy and spending less on war! And everyone gets Congress level gold plated health insurance. You know it makes sense...
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:36
    Tell you what, Representatives and Senators in Congress get access to Government funded health care that apparently is first class. If I were an American, surely this level of care, enjoyed by both wings of Congress would be the type of coverage the ordinary citizens should demand. How about for just one minute all the alt right snowflakes stopped wasting all ...[text shortened]... war! And everyone gets Congress level gold plated health insurance. You know it makes sense...
    Tell you what, how bout members of either party actually read their own damn health care bill and not opt out of it like a bunch of elitist pricks? Then maybe, just maybe, they will actually pass a damned budget, let alone balance it.

After being lied to repeatedly for the health care we have now, I see no reason to trust any of these snakes.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:37
    We treat first responders shamefully?
    Below is the September 11 Compensation Fund

Claims Submitted 7,408
    Total Claims Resolved by the Office of the Special Master 7,408
    Number of Award Letters Issued 5,562*
    Other Claims Resolved by the Office of Special Master 1,846**
    Average Deceased Victims Awards After Offsets $2,082,128
    Median Deceased Victims Awards After Offsets $1,677,633

Seems far from shameful to me.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:41
    All you people who want more government have it completely backwards. We regulated banks, airline and healthcare and people feel that they get treated poorly and overcharged while we have things like electronic and I-phones where every years the product is better and better and people actually like their devices. The solution obviously is less governmental regulation, not more.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:05
    All you people who want more government have it completely backwards. We regulated banks, airline and healthcare and people feel that they get treated poorly and overcharged while we have things like electronic and I-phones where every years the product is better and better and people actually like their devices. The solution obviously is less governmental regulation, not more.
    Yup screw regulation and allow the marketplace to be flooded with snake oil salesmen. People will eventually work out if the products are good for them, right? I mean with social media keeping us so connected, we'll work it out. Maybe we'll have a few casualties along the way, but people are always going to die, right?!
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:112 edits
    We treat first responders shamefully?
    Below is the September 11 Compensation Fund

Claims Submitted 7,408
    Total Claims Resolved by the Office of the Special Master 7,408
    Number of Award Letters Issued 5,562*
    Other Claims Resolved by the Office of Special Master 1,846**
    Average Deceased Victims Awards After Offsets $2,082,128
    Median Deceased Victims Awards After Offsets $1,677,633

Seems far from shameful to me.
    Why don't you tell everyone who fought to have this passed through Congress?

Go ahead.

We're waiting.

Here's a clue:

It was HILLARY CLINTON, as US Senator from New York.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why don't you tell everyone who fought to have this passed through Congress?

Go ahead.

We're waiting.

Here's a clue:

It was HILLARY CLINTON, as US Senator from New York.
    It's a terrible tragedy that people died but over $2,000,000/ person is a ridiculous number. Do we pay every soldier that dies $2,000,000? Ever cop that is shot that number? Money doesn't grow on tree and we need to make choices on how much and whom to pay. If indeed Hilary Clinton is responsible for this payment (which I am sure is debatable) she took money that rightfully belonged to everyone and gave a disproportionate amount to one group simply in hopes of getting votes later.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:26
    Yup screw regulation and allow the marketplace to be flooded with snake oil salesmen. People will eventually work out if the products are good for them, right? I mean with social media keeping us so connected, we'll work it out. Maybe we'll have a few casualties along the way, but people are always going to die, right?!
    You completely ignored the fact that the industries we regulate the most are the ones we as a society are most dissatisfied with. There comes a time to recognize that government intrusion often simply makes thing worse.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If people have crap health insurance, which the Republicans would LOVE to foist off onto everybody (except themselves), yes, they CAN be "price-gouged" into poverty.

A cancer diagnosis is the most common path for this.
    I am talking specifically about dialysis, which I understand is covered by the US government for all people regardless of healthcare coverage.
    I have no doubt whatsoever that in the US, for other medications, you can be "price-gouged" into poverty.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 May '17 15:52
    It seems a labyrinth of claim and counter claim in terms of which medical services are too expensive and out of the reach of ordinary citizens, without the appropriate health insurance in the US.
    We are talking specifically about dialysis. My understanding is that it is free to the patient.

Is dialysis a service given to anyone requiring it?
    According to Last Week Tonight, it is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree