1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:001 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok FMF, just because the military treats its injured soldiers like dung in no way suggests that the same will happen to civilians. Perhaps Big Brother simply hates its soldiers. If only they were illlegal aliens they might be afforded a little respect.
    The U.S. can afford to provide good standard of health care to both civilians and to the military. Why do you think the government should provide better access to health care for members of the military instead of providing access to better health care for all Americans? Why this either-or thing in your mind?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:14
    So lets explore the options of people who are dependent on Big Brother for their health care.
    Another set of options to explore is that available to Americans who are too "rich" to qualify for sufficient government assistance but too poor to be able to afford private sector insurance that allows sufficient access to necessary health care services. Tens of millions of people were caught in this trap, apparently. You seemed to back the status quo. And now you are saying there shouldn't have been any reform to benefit these tens of millions of citizens but that the loopholes and blindspots of the Pentagon's provision of health care to a few thousand service women and men should have been reformed instead?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:15
    You can speculate all day long about these things but at the end of the day all we have are the end results.

True or false, is Big Brother in charge of our soldiers? True. Are they being properly cared for? No. However, according to people like FMF and yourself this is no indication of how Big Brother will care for its citizens.

So lets explore t ...[text shortened]... can hire a lawyer and fight a never ending expanding bureacracy that is bigger than God himself.
    And instead of navel staring you can look around the world and see how Big Brother is caring for citizens and armed forces alike.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    And instead of navel staring you can look around the world and see how Big Brother is caring for citizens and armed forces alike.
    Ah yes but whodey once found an anecdote on a pro-Insurance company anti-health reform blog about a U.S. tourist who had some problem when she was on holiday in Germany, so that rules out any chance that whodey might find any paradigm out there in "the world".
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 11:01
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Do you genuinely believe the most powerful country in the world cannot afford to provide health care to both its citizens and its armed forces? Do you really? Well, if you do, then it's not a false dilemma, but you're daft nonetheless.
    There are probably a great deal of things the US can afford to do, that they centrally plan health care a little less than other countries is not a question of can afford/can't afford it's a question of should guvamint be involved in the health care business. Should guvamint be making decisions and setting priorities regarding something so personal as the upkeep of your own bag of guts and bones.

Regarding military health care it should be a matter of contract.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 11:08
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    There are probably a great deal of things the US can afford to do, that they centrally plan health care a little less than other countries is not a question of can afford/can't afford it's a question of should guvamint be involved in the health care business. Should guvamint be making decisions and setting priorities regarding something so personal as the up ...[text shortened]... wn bag of guts and bones.

Well, unlike you I don't have any emotional problems with government, so my answer to the question of whether or not it "should" is: whatever appears to work best.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 12:251 edit
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    There are probably a great deal of things the US can afford to do, that they centrally plan health care a little less than other countries is not a question of can afford/can't afford it's a question of should guvamint be involved in the health care business. Should guvamint be making decisions and setting priorities regarding something so personal as the up ...[text shortened]... wn bag of guts and bones.

Can the US afford health care to everyone? Sure, they continue to balloon deficit after deficit to afford things like health care and retirement and defense etc, but what is the end game to all this massive debt? Is this the beginning of the end for the US government?

As for the government being under contract to care for its soldiers, you are spot on!! This should be the first priority. Then if Big Brother shows itself capable of taking care of its other problems perhaps we can place our faith in them to help its citizens. However, to trust in someone or some institution that appears to be either unwilling or unable to take care of its business is madness.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 15:08
    This post was inspired by someone I know who recently was discharged from the armed services due to a medical condition. He only learned of the medical condition after making it through boot camp. He then was told he needed urgent care and needed a surgery yesterday or he could die. To make a long story short, he had the emergency surgery, which did not cl ...[text shortened]... rnment run health care is something that we all can look forward to in the near future.
    I'm on my iphone so I'll have to be brief. I can't really comment on your friend's situation because I don't really know the full story from both sides.

On your article note the date on it predates Obama, who had actually campaigned on, and followed through with promises to address issues surrounding the treatment of wounded warriors and VA benefits in general. When I get to my computer I'll go into specifics with links.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 15:59
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm on my iphone so I'll have to be brief. I can't really comment on your friend's situation because I don't really know the full story from both sides.

On your article note the date on it predates Obama, who had actually campaigned on, and followed through with promises to address issues surrounding the treatment of wounded warriors and VA benefits in general. When I get to my computer I'll go into specifics with links.
    Oh? Let's get this straight. whodey used a cut and paste that pre-dates Obama.

Insinuated that the situation in the cut and paste was the fault of "Obama and company".

whodey does this having ignored that president Obama made a campaign promise related to the problem illustrated by the Bush-era cut and paste.

And Obama followed through on his promise (also ignored by whodey).

And Obama has addressed the issue (also ignored by whodey).

And to cap it all, whodey interprets his own deceitful presentation of this issue as some kind of evidence that health reform should not have been passed.

We shall see if this is yet another shonky whodey OP that whodey is distancing himself from before page 2 of the thread is finished.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 00:14
    How so FMF? If the US government does not give a damn about its soldiers, why would they care about little old Whodey?
    "the US government" is more synonymous with the US bureaucracy than the US people.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 00:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh? Let's get this straight. whodey used a cut and paste that pre-dates Obama.

"This post was inspired by someone I know who recently was discharged "
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 02:431 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    "This post was inspired by someone I know who recently was discharged "
    Indeed. Just don't expect FMF to read that part of my post. I conceed that this appears to have been a problem during the "W" years, if not earlier. Having said that, Big Brother is Big Brother no matter who is "in charge". And from the person in question that inspired my post, the problem seems to remain. In fact, the Congressman the family contacted regarding the soldier in question said as much.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 04:171 edit
    Indeed. Just don't expect FMF to read that part of my post.
    I did read the whole post, whodey.

Your cut and paste was from 2007.

Was Obama in power in 2007? No.

Did Obama make a campaign promise on this issue in 2008? Yes.

Did you mention it in your OP? No.

Did Obama follow through on his 2008 campaign promise? Yes.

Did you mention this in your OP? No.

Did you tell some story about a friend who has some problem or other in your OP? Yes.

Is your little "story" about a "friend of yours" believable? In the context of a deliberately misleading partisan OP which suggests that Obama, and not his predecessors, was responsible for the situation on 2007 and, also falsely, suggests that Obama has not addressed the issue? Frankly, no. Not believable. Sorry. Considering the rest of this typically shoddy, deceitful OP, the story about your "friend" who "inspired" you is probably an invention, a fib - either that or you were duped by a blog, yet again, and simply reproduced it here, as has so often happened.

And I did read the whole post, whodey.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 10:382 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

Is your little "story" about a "friend of yours" believable? In the context of a deliberately misleading partisan OP which suggests that Obama, and not his predecessors, was responsible for the situation on 2007 and, also falsely, suggests that Obama has not addressed the issue? Frankly, no. Not believable. Sorry. Considering the rest of this typically shoddy, de reproduced it here, as has so often happened.

And I did read the whole post, whodey.[/b]
    Ny little story is about someone that I know personally and who I know was in the military. I also saw his scars from his surgery and seen him continue to cough up blood after the surger and he cannot afford to get medical help currently. I can also tell you that they kicked him out of the military. What I can't tell you or corraborate is the story he told about being kicked out of the military. However, I saw the letter from their Congressman explaining that he has seen many complaints like this of late. In addition, the article points out that this has been an ongoing problem before Obama got into office. So do you suppose Obama and company has "fixed" this problem? I have heard of the militray having similar problems with Vietnam Vets in terms of long term effects of agent orange. You also had an issue with what was known as the "Gulf Syndrome". You see, the military is as greedy and petty as the rest of us and do not wish to pay for the costs of these chronic problems. Perhaps Obama can single handidly change all this just like he will single handidly save us from the Gulf spill and illegal immigration and all the bad guys in Iraq and Afghanistan. After all, he is the messiah.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 10:46
    Ny little story is about someone that I know personally and who I know was in the military.
    I wish I believed you. If your friend does exist, I hope he is treated with justice eventually. I feel sorry for him if his political literacy can only stretch as far as blaming Obama for his woes. But this pity would soon turn to uninterested contempt, if - intellectually speaking - the best he could come up with on a grown-ups debate forum, was stuff like: "Perhaps Obama can single handidly change all this just like he will single handidly save us from the Gulf spill and illegal immigration and all the bad guys in Iraq and Afghanistan. After all, he is the messiah."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree