1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wish I believed you. If your friend does exist, I hope he is treated with justice eventually. I feel sorry for him if his political literacy can only stretch as far as blaming Obama for his woes. But this pity would soon turn to uninterested contempt, if - intellectually speaking - the best he could come up with on a grown-ups debate forum, was stuff like: "Pe ...[text shortened]... legal immigration and all the bad guys in Iraq and Afghanistan. After all, he is the messiah."
    Your concern is touching.

All I can say is that I am not trying to pin this on Obama, rather, I am pinning it on "the machine" that we call the federal government. Any fool can see that there have been problems in the past regarding "discarded soldiers". My only point was that before the US tries to tackle universal coverage they should first help people like the person I mentioned.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    Your concern is touching.

All I can say is that I am not trying to pin this on Obama, rather, I am pinning it on "the machine" that we call the federal government. Any fool can see that there have been problems in the past regarding "discarded soldiers". My only point was that before the US tries to tackle universal coverage they should first help people like the person I mentioned.
    So what sort of changes do you suggest that would prevent such situations in the future?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So what sort of changes do you suggest that would prevent such situations in the future?
    Once you become a soldier and sign away your life for your country, you deserve free medical care for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!! No if's, ands, or buts about it. I don't care if you become the worst criminal the world has ever known. Enough of these games trying to discharge soldiers without medical coverage.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:49
    Once you become a soldier and sign away your life for your country, you deserve free medical care for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!! No if's, ands, or buts about it. I don't care if you become the worst criminal the world has ever known. Enough of these games trying to discharge soldiers without medical coverage.
    Fair enough. So to solve the problem of Big Government, we need more government interference?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:51
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm on my iphone so I'll have to be brief. I can't really comment on your friend's situation because I don't really know the full story from both sides.

On your article note the date on it predates Obama, who had actually campaigned on, and followed through with promises to address issues surrounding the treatment of wounded warriors and VA benefits in general. When I get to my computer I'll go into specifics with links.
    Are you still on the iphone? I would like to know what Obama has done about the situation.

I would like to know if my friend has any recourse. If you were in a similar situation, what would you do?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:521 edit
    Fair enough. So to solve the problem of Big Government, we need more government interference?
    More government interference? What are you talking about?

I would love to know what they promise soldiers when they join up. Do they promise them free medical for the rest of their lives? Then again, recruitors are notorious for lying and saying anything to get young recruits to join up. I think a campaign should start to "get the word out" about the US military.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:53
    More government interference? What are you talking about?
    Aren't you saying the role of government should be expanded? Or am I misunderstanding you here?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 15:551 edit
    Aren't you saying the role of government should be expanded? Or am I misunderstanding you here?
    I am saying that the soldiers are under contract with the US government. Their medical needs should be covered under that contract. If not, then the recruits should be informed and make their own decisions. What is happening now is simple deciet to get people to join up.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 18:47
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA_Hospital#Eligibility_for_benefits

Eligibility for benefits

By Federal law, eligibility for benefits is determined by a system of eight Priority Groups. Retirees from military service, veterans with service-connected injuries or conditions rated by VA, and Purple Heart recipients are within the higher priority groups.

Veterans without rated service-connected conditions may become eligible based on financial need, adjusted for local cost of living. Veterans who do not have service-connected disabilities totaling 50% or more may be subject to copayments for any care they received for nonservice-connected conditions.

Eligibility for VA dental care and nursing home care are much more restricted. VA nursing homes are primarily for veterans needing care for a service-connected condition, or who have service-connected disability ratings of 70% or higher. Reservists and National Guardsmen who were called to active duty by a Federal Executive Order qualify for VA health care benefits.[8]
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 21:06
    My only point was that before the US tries to tackle universal coverage they should first help people like the person I mentioned.
    This is a pretty ludicrous either-or fallacy you're conjuring up here.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 21:14
    I am saying that the soldiers are under contract with the US government. Their medical needs should be covered under that contract. If not, then the recruits should be informed and make their own decisions. What is happening now is simple deciet to get people to join up.
    So, from your "my friend said" story, you have extrapolated what exactly? There are no contracts for soldiers? There are contracts but they are meaningless? Soldiers should be able to break the contracts? Soliders are told that there are contracts but really there aren't? New recruits should be encouraged to take out private health insurance? That soldiers should define their medical needs, even after they have been discharged, and not their contracts? What is it that you are claiming exactly?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 21:21
    I would love to know what they promise soldiers when they join up.
    So you would "love to know what they promise soldiers when they join up" but you haven't just simply looked it up, although you have read letters to a Congressman about it and you have already decided that the problem means that there shouldn't have been any health care reform affecting 30,000,000 Americans until you find out what your friend's contract was like and until his case has been addressed? What exactly has prevented you from looking into the matter?
  13. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 22:22
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA_Hospital#Eligibility_for_benefits

Eligibility for benefits

By Federal law, eligibility for benefits is determined by a system of eight Priority Groups. Retirees from military service, veterans with service-connected injuries or conditions rated by VA, and Purple Heart recipients are within the higher priority groups.
    ...[text shortened]... were called to active duty by a Federal Executive Order qualify for VA health care benefits.[8]
    *boing*
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 23:57
    Are you still on the iphone? I would like to know what Obama has done about the situation.

I would like to know if my friend has any recourse. If you were in a similar situation, what would you do?
    First of all unless you retire you don't retain medical benefits after you leave, unless you obtain injury or illness related to your service. But former service members do receive reduced rates for insurance through Tricare.

I would actually love to hear from his unit's side of things, because I suspect there's more to the story. But from what you told me, from HIS standpoint... it sounds like nothing. Especially considering he went AWAL, which likely amounts to a negative discharge. On that note, do you know what type of discharge he received?

As to what Obama has done for Veterans, a LOT. Here's just one that directly pertains to wounded warriors.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1671

Record Budget Enhances VA’s Ability to Become a 21st Century Organization

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced President Obama’s 2010 budget for VA. The budget emphasizes a Veteran-centric commitment to expanded services with a 15.5 percent increase over 2009, the largest percentage increase for VA requested by a president in more than 30 years.

“Our 2010 budget represents the President’s vision for how VA will transform into a 21st Century organization that is Veteran-centric, results-driven, and forward-looking,” Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki said. “This transformation is demanded by new times, new technologies, new demographic realities, and new commitments to today’s Veterans. It requires a comprehensive review of the fundamentals in every line of operation the Department performs. We must be sure that valuable taxpayer dollars are invested in programs that work for our Veterans.”

The centerpiece of the $112.8 billion VA budget proposal is a dramatic increase in Veteran health care funding, with an 11 percent increase over the current year's funding (excluding one-time Recovery Act funds).

“Organizational transformation requires changes in culture, systems, and training,” Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs W. Scott Gould said. “This will require resources, but it will also demand commitment and teamwork. The entire Department is dedicated to serving the needs of Veterans, and every VA employee has a stake in transformation to meet those needs.”

That transformation is already underway. For instance, the enhanced use of automated tools, coupled with more efficient processes, recent staffing increases, and improved training is expected to reduce the compensation and pension claims processing time to 150 days in 2010, or 16 percent faster compared to 2008, while reducing the pending inventory and improving accuracy. VA anticipates an 8 percent increase in education claims in 2010 compared to this year due largely to the improved education benefits of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act. Nonetheless, VA's goal is to complete all education claims without any increase in average processing days.

“We are making the smart choices today to improve the services that our Veterans receive tomorrow,” Secretary Shinseki said.

VA’s budget request contains four major categories of activities. These activities include: creating a reliable management infrastructure, delivering ongoing services, making progress on Departmental priorities, and instituting new initiatives critical to meeting the needs of Veterans now and in the future.

Nearly two-thirds of the increase ($9.6 billion) would go to mandatory programs (up 20 percent); the remaining third ($5.6 billion) would be discretionary funding (up 11 percent). The total budget would be almost evenly split between mandatory funding ($56.9 billion) and discretionary funding ($55.9 billion).

VA's new budget request provides for an estimated 122,000 more patients to be treated over the current year. Many of these patients will have multiple visits in the course of the year. VA expects to end fiscal year 2010 with nearly 6.1 million individual patients having received care, including 419,000 Veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan war zones who separated from service.

“VA has too often in the past been seen as difficult and bureaucratic as it relates to its charge of providing for our Nation’s Veterans,” Secretary Shinseki said. “Changing that perception will require a significant transformation. We will not nibble at the edges of this change. We must be bold and demand that we begin immediately showing measurable returns on investment in a responsible, accountable and transparent manner.”

The budget supports the administration's goal to gradually expand health care eligibility to more than 500,000 new enrollees by 2013, while maintaining excellent care quality and timeliness. In 2010, the transformation of VA health care will support scheduling of 98 percent of primary care appointments within a month of the desired date.

The new budget proposal places a high priority on initiatives aimed at making servicemembers' transition to civilian life and VA benefits seamless. This includes the President's initiative for VA and the Department of Defense to collaboratively develop and implement a joint “Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record."

The new system supports the administration's initiative for a uniform registration of all servicemembers with VA, will improve delivery of benefits by assuring availability of medical and administrative data useful both in future medical care as well as in the determination of service-connection in disability ratings.

“The Department’s number one priority is providing for our Veterans,” Deputy Secretary Gould said. “We have an obligation to make sure that every dollar goes to delivering timely, high-quality benefits and services to our clients—the Veterans. A strong corporate model will enable decentralized provision of services at VA by professionals in the field while providing integrated policy and coordination through a central office.”

The fiscal year 2010 VA budget fosters strong support for Veteran-focused information technology, providing more than $3.3 billion to ensure reliable, accessible and secure computer systems. In addition to improvements in VA's electronic health records, this investment will support the President's goal of making claims decisions timely, fair, and consistent with the extension of a new paperless processing initiative expected to lead to an electronically based benefits system by 2012.

VA-managed national cemeteries will be preserved as shrines while maintaining the current high level of service. The National Cemetery Administration would receive $242 million in operations and maintenance funding in the fiscal year 2010 request. The budget provides for activation of three new national cemeteries, Bakersfield National Cemetery in California, Alabama National Cemetery near Birmingham, and Washington Crossing National Cemetery in southeastern Pennsylvania. VA expects to perform 111,500 interments in 2010, a four-percent increase from the estimate for the current year.

The President's budget for construction projects and other capital programs in VA is more than $1.9 billion. This continues work on five major medical projects already in progress, begins seven new ones, and provides resources to support the cemetery system's expansion needs, including resources for improvements at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Illinois, and Houston National Cemetery.

It also contains $600 million for minor construction projects, $85 million in grants for construction of state extended care facilities, and $42 million in grants for state Veterans cemeteries.

The seven new medical facility projects move VA towards new construction or renovations at VA medical facilities in Brockton, Massachusetts; Canandaigua, New York; Livermore, California; Long Beach, California; Perry Point, Maryland; San Diego, California; and St. Louis, Missouri.

Capital funds also will support ongoing improvements at medical centers in Bay Pines, Florida; Denver, Colorado; Orlando, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and St. Louis, Missouri.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 01:141 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    [b]First of all unless you retire you don't retain medical benefits after you leave, unless you obtain injury or illness related to your service. But former service members do receive reduced rates for insurance through Tricare.
    I guess my question is, what does it mean to "leave"? I mean, the soldier in question had a prexisting medical problem he did not know about until he joined up and then was basically told to leave once they realized he was damaged goods. So what you are saying is that at best he is only entitled to reduced rates through Tricare even though he had no real choice in leaving?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree