1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 05:09
    I know what you're thinking: "haha, very funny; a cheap joke from some comedian trying to get cheap laughs". Well...yes.

But....

This video by Samantha Bee mocks him, yes; however, the evidence indicating he can't read is fairly eye-opening. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to watch a YouTube video, check out this link:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/31/samantha-bee-is-convinced-donald-trump-can-t-read.html

So...is Trump illiterate? You be the judge:

YouTube
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 05:423 edits
    And before you scoff at this video, consider the following from Politico:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/donald-trump-talks-like-a-third-grader-121340

"Run through the Flesch-Kincaid grade-level test, his text of responses score at the 4th-grade reading level. For Trump, that’s actually pretty advanced.........His comments from an August 11 news conference in Michigan earned only a 3rd-grade score.

Also, Trump's ghostwriter, Tony Scwartz, said that Trump has a "200-word vocabulary":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-vocabulary_us_580d458de4b0a03911ed69b6

“He has the smallest vocabulary of any person who has ever run for any kind of office, much less president "―Tony Scwartz.

All these statements are consistent of a man who can't read. That Trump may be illiterate actually has some merit.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 06:14
    I just put 10k on the new prez ( TRUMP) to win. 10 to 1 odds.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 07:36
    So, not only the first mentally handicapped US president, the first illiterate one as well.

Very progressive!
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 10:10
    Originally posted by vivify
    I know what you're thinking: "haha, very funny; a cheap joke from some comedian trying to get cheap laughs". Well...yes.

But....

This video by Samantha Bee mocks him, yes; however, the evidence indicating he can't read is fairly eye-opening. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to watch a YouTube video, check out this link:

http://www.thedail ...[text shortened]... an-t-read.html

[youtube]7LFkN7QGp2c[/youtube]
    I think Mr. Trump can read far better than one would assume, please remember though he has to tailor his speeches to his base of support, who consist primarily of under educated blue collar workers with limited vocabulary's. One and two syllable words is normally all they understand.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 10:51

But....

aww, didn't see you already posted this
  7. Germany
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 11:45
    Originally posted by mchill
    I think Mr. Trump can read far better than one would assume, please remember though he has to tailor his speeches to his base of support, who consist primarily of under educated blue collar workers with limited vocabulary's. One and two syllable words is normally all they understand.
    At first I also entertained the possibility that Trump's moronic ramblings were some kind of clever ploy in order to appeal to dumbasses. But it's just too consistent, too convincing to be an act. Besides, Trump just being that massive of an idiot is also consistent with his past - it's not like he has been working towards becoming president his entire life.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 11:50

But....

I dunno, it sure looks like he's reading the teleprompters.

When he sticks to them, anyways.

I do love Samantha Bee, though. 🙂
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 11:52
    He can read - even without glasses:
    YouTube
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 12:09

But....

I believe the hostess said right off the bat how the presentation was designed to be wild conjecture in the spirit of Info Wars, etc..
    He is in a deposition, and clearly understands the rules of the game.
    As a source of wealth, he has been a target of those deplorables who 'just want a little off the top,' folks whose only real complaint is that they are part of the have-nots whereas he is part of the haves.
    They see big pockets and figure he will probably roll over in order to avoid costly legal fees or public smearing campaigns: the worse the charge, the better.
    So he has two options, really.
    He can roll over and settle every time, or he can put them through their paces, make them earn their keep.
    Although his attorneys are far more costly than those against whom he defends, he knows the more painful he can make it for them (i.e., costly), the less likely he will be required to defend.
    When word gets out you're an easy mark, you may as well open up the till and let them pick you clean.
    Cost of doing business, unfortunately.

As has been pointed out, he reads teleprompters when appropriate.

That he speaks to his audience on the topics important to them?
    Stays on point regarding their issues?
    That's a bad thing?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 12:43
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I believe the hostess said right off the bat how the presentation was designed to be wild conjecture in the spirit of Info Wars, etc..
    He is in a deposition, and clearly understands the rules of the game.
    As a source of wealth, he has been a target of those deplorables who 'just want a little off the top,' folks whose only real complaint is that they are ...[text shortened]... ce on the topics important to them?
    Stays on point regarding their issues?
    That's a bad thing?
    So you want a president who has a very short attention span, a borderline personality, narcississtic to the 9th degree, a probable sociopath and who doesn't read, irregardless of whether he CAN read or not, and very impulsive, reactionary type. So this is the dude you want on the nuclear trigger. That is not even mentioning his sexual proclivities or his absolute zero knowledge of foreign affairs.
    Just remember, without immigration, Trump would not even have a wife.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 12:47
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    I just put 10k on the new prez ( TRUMP) to win. 10 to 1 odds.
    Where did you get 10:1?

I'll take that bet.

Betting markets I can see are mostly 3:1 or, at most, 4:1.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 13:442 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He can read - even without glasses:
    [youtube]fs-K5rCaKVo[/youtube]
    Interesting. I must say, that was a pretty damn effective poem for what Trump was trying to accomplish.

One thing I noticed, is that you could easily count how many words from that poem have more than one syllable (very few have more than one). I counted two words with three syllables, (beautiful was one) and noticed only a handful with two.

So even if Trump can read, it seems far below a level needed to read congressional bills, FBI reports, or anything that a president needs to read. However, he'd probably just have someone else do all the reading, and give him an abridged version.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 13:46
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    So, not only the first mentally handicapped US president, the first illiterate one as well.
    Wasn't that the last republican president?
  15. Germany
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 13:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you want a president who has a very short attention span, a borderline personality, narcississtic to the 9th degree, a probable sociopath and who doesn't read, irregardless of whether he CAN read or not, and very impulsive, reactionary type. So this is the dude you want on the nuclear trigger. That is not even mentioning his sexual proclivities or his ab ...[text shortened]... edge of foreign affairs.
    Just remember, without immigration, Trump would not even have a wife.
    Make that illegal immigration.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree