1. Joined
    27 Sep '09
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 00:26
    Every class I go to it seems the prof is always passing around some paper for us to sign up to vote--or else pushing us to vote in other ways. I know some might think I am a bit 'radical' in terms of politics but seriously, I don't care for any one in politics these days. Thus, what if NO ONE voted?? What if we just all said a big "FU" until these people start actually listening to us?

Just an idea for something to perhaps debate or talk about.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 00:33
    Originally posted by fatalinsomnia
    Every class I go to it seems the prof is always passing around some paper for us to sign up to vote--or else pushing us to vote in other ways. I know some might think I am a bit 'radical' in terms of politics but seriously, I don't care for any one in politics these days. Thus, what if NO ONE voted?? What if we just all said a big "FU" until these peop ...[text shortened]... rt actually listening to us?

Not a Nash Equilbrium. None of you vote = I go vote = I win.
  3. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 01:03
    In a true democracy guvamint would be reduced by the same proportion of the population that did not vote. Don't expect what is right to happen any time soon.
  4. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 01:17
    Every class I go to it seems the prof is always passing around some paper for us to sign up to vote--or else pushing us to vote in other ways. I know some might think I am a bit 'radical' in terms of politics but seriously, I don't care for any one in politics these days. Thus, what if NO ONE voted?? What if we just all said a big "FU" until these peop ...[text shortened]... rt actually listening to us?

Don't take your right to vote for granted. There are plenty of places where such a right doesn't exist.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 01:30
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Don't take your right to vote for granted. There are plenty of places where such a right doesn't exist.
    we have no say over our government.

look at that the biggest ally to the u.s and a part of it can't even vote.
  6. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 02:59

The two party system has told you no long before you thought of telling government no.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 03:28

Yeah stay home and don't vote, but please convince al your radical friends to do likewise. Start with telrion. He's do your bidding!
  8. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 04:31
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    In a true democracy guvamint would be reduced by the same proportion of the population that did not vote. Don't expect what is right to happen any time soon.
    Okay, so lighter sentences for criminals in prison depending on how few people vote?
  9. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 04:33

Given urgent threats such as global warming, and the fact that 45,000 Americans are dying per year from lack of healthcare, and the fact that the Democrats have a much better plan for dealing with the economic crisis, and are on the right side of other issues too... given how much better the Democrats are than the Republicans given the current platforms of the two parties, I think it would be inadvisable not to vote.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 08:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 08:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Be kind with Wajoma. He ain't exactly the brightest crayon in the box.
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 11:18
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Be kind with Wajoma. He ain't exactly the brightest crayon in the box.
    Never claimed to be Seitse, but I'm definitely not the dullest, that slot is reserved for those that trot out the old 'not the brightest crayon' cliche.

It was originally an offhand comment but if you blokes want to play with it then go ahead.(small request to Sietse 'play with it' is not inuendo-ous and is not an invitation for more of the oh so risque innuendo that we have come to expect from you, let it go)
    karnachz, I don't think the original post was meant in all seriousness, nor was my response, but if guvamint is to be trimmed there are plenty of areas without jeopardising it's legitimate function i.e. protecting you from me and me from you. It is curious that you mention sentencing, in 1999 NZ held a referendum asking that question, the response was that 91.8% went with the 'get tougher' option, it was pretty much ignored by gummint.

Here's a recent example: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10600242

CFT:"Would the people who didn't vote be excused of their tax bill?

And conversely, would they have citizenship rights removed?

Haha, imagine it, that would be the test wouldn't it, all those advocating this that or the other gummint scheme would have to consider carefully before stepping out their front door on polling day. I don't have a problem with paying for the services I chose to use, but in NZ we have a minister of horse racing and a minister for rugby fer chrissakes. There would be about 50 ministries that are totally irrelevant to me. Are those the 'citizenship rights' you refer to?

Again, it was a rhetorical comment, although you have to admit the logic is there. I'm no fan of democracy, minority rights are likely to be trampled, with the smallest minority being the individual. It might be better to say if you don't vote then you can't complain. More countries now have a libertarian option on polling day, if you want the busybodies out of your lives and out of your pockets please consider seeking them out, don't worry Libertarians aren't likely to take over the world next election day but the important thing is to get the ideas out there and when the main parties see themselves losing votes to the freedom lovers they might reign in some of their power lust. It's about the best we can hope for.

Let's put the brakes on growing guvamint
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 11:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 12:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    A NZ passport costs between $150 and $600, it's term of ten years was recently halved, considering this day and age of computerised record keeping the price should be going down, good point, open up passport issuing to private competition.

You're on to it. (thumbs up emoticon)
  15. Germany
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 13:34
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    A NZ passport costs between $150 and $600, it's term of ten years was recently halved, considering this day and age of computerised record keeping the price should be going down, good point, open up passport issuing to private competition.

You're on to it. (thumbs up emoticon)
    What you pay for something is not equal to what something costs. I very much doubt that a NZ passport will cost $600 to produce, rather it seems more likely that the local council finds this an easy way to tax the populace. So the solution is not opening up the "market" to private competitors, but simply decreeing the price of it. Or better still, since no one really "wants" to have a passport, simply issue them for free, which would boost the economy since it reduces bureaucracy and gets rid of a regressive tax.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree