1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:01
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Not much of a choice at that point in time. Die of smoke inhalation, or shoot self.
    Yes, no one has ever escaped from a fire.🙄
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:02
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    Yes, but those facts are irrelevant to No1, internet debater extraordinaire.
    LMAO! Some "facts".
  3. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    Originally posted by FMF
    He could have surrendered himself to the police.
    Do you think the police should carry around flamethrowers in case they need to burn a suspect out?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    That is dubious by the time a fire was started, and the cabin was full of toxic CS gas, as well as flames and smoke.
    Perhaps he couldn't bring himself to surrender because he was hoping to kill one or two more law enforcement officers.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:03
    Do you think the police should carry around flamethrowers in case they need to burn a suspect out?
    Show me a case where this has happened.
  6. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, no one has ever escaped from a fire.🙄
    Hmm, I thought I cited a case where the police started fire was found to be excessive force even though the victim escaped from the fire. Shrug...
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Show me a case where this has happened.
    Why do you need to see a case?
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps he couldn't bring himself to surrender because he was hoping to kill one or two more law enforcement officers.
    Perhaps, but I can't get into Dorner's head retrospectively. It was really fast from first spark to inferno.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:08
    Hmm, I thought I cited a case where the police started fire was found to be excessive force even though the victim escaped from the fire. Shrug...
    That's unresponsive to norm's "point" i.e. that once a fire had started Dorner's only choices were to die of smoke inhalation or suicide by gunshot. That is patently false.

(Shrug) And I showed you a case where law enforcement agents had deliberately set fire to a building housing a dangerous felon and a court found such action reasonable as a matter of law. Of course, the sheriffs didn't do that here but it's an example of the leeway police are given under the law rather than being subject to the nitpicking, 20-20 quarterbacking of jailhouse lawyers like yourself.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:10
    Why do you need to see a case?
    Because it's just something you're making up when we have an actual case before us. It's like your repeated references to Dorner's "summary execution". He shot himself. Flamethrower? For the record, I don't think that the perp's family should be rounded up and shot in the head one at a time until the perp gives himself up either.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:10
    Perhaps, but I can't get into Dorner's head retrospectively. It was really fast from first spark to inferno.
    Actually the deputies at the scene said the fire had consumed about a quarter of the building before they heard the gunshot. It would appear Dorner had a chance to surrender even after the fire started but choose not to avail himself of it. That was, of course, consistent with his manifesto.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:12
    Perhaps, but I can't get into Dorner's head retrospectively.
    Your entire claim about him having ONLY two choices, which did not include surrender, is based on your assumption that you have got into Dorner's head retrospectively.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:16
    Actually the deputies at the scene said the fire had consumed about a quarter of the building before they heard the gunshot. It would appear Dorner had a chance to surrender even after the fire started but choose not to avail himself of it. That was, of course, consistent with his manifesto.
    With the building, a rather small cabin a quarter consumed, it is amazing that Dorner was still conscious to shoot himself.

Fire move quickly, and super heated smoke puts most people in fires down long before the flames reach them.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your entire claim about him having ONLY two choices, which did not include surrender, is based on your assumption that you have got into Dorner's head retrospectively.
    I'm saying that after the fire started, the chances of surrender were reduced to virtually zero. In any case, the entire thread is hijacked from any parallel to the Tamerlan shooting.
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:18
    That's unresponsive to norm's "point" i.e. that once a fire had started Dorner's only choices were to die of smoke inhalation or suicide by gunshot. That is patently false.

(Shrug) And I showed you a case where law enforcement agents had deliberately set fire to a building housing a dangerous felon and a court found such action reasonab ...[text shortened]... being subject to the nitpicking, 20-20 quarterbacking of jailhouse lawyers like yourself.
    Even if that case is on point, which it isn't for reasons already stated ad nauseam, the transcript demolishes your analogy because the fire in the Dorner case started hours after the initial shooting had commenced while the fire in the Ginter started 15-20 minutes after the initial shooting had commenced. Dorner is more like M.O.V.E. where the fire started hours after the standoff had begun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree