1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '11 23:151 edit
    http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/21/ghost-town-mongolia-inside-chinas-empty-cities/

So what can we make of this? Is it central planning run amock?

There is some hope, however. China's central planning comrade, Barak Obama, recently offerred China some assistance to help fill their ghost town cities. He did so by offerring to run some Amtrack trains to the empty cities in china as well as some high speed rails. 😛
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 08:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/21/ghost-town-mongolia-inside-chinas-empty-cities/

Just as a matter of interest, the exact same thing is going on in Dubai. Is that also central planning run amock, and are you happy with whatever criticism you are hoping to throw at communism also apply to Dubai (a capitalist Mecca)?
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 10:06

There is some hope, however. China's central planning comrade, Barak Obama, recently offerred China some assistance to help fill their ghost town cities. He did so by offerring to run some Amtrack trains to the empty cities in china as well as some high speed rails. 😛
    I'm confident you'd do a far better job of running things Whodey. You don't seem to have anything good to say about anyone...do you?
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 10:07
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm confident you'd do a far better job of running things Whodey. You don't seem to have anything good to say about anyone...do you?
    Could it be that whodey doesn't want to run things nor does he want to be run?
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 10:311 edit

Zhengzhou New District in Henan, a place with plans for fifteen yet-to-be-inaugurated universities. This is enlightened indeed. Who could object?

Nearest Western example I can think of is America's military industrial complex and its mountains of unwanted, useless nuclear weapons, its insane Star Wars scam and many other examples. Who could object to the price of freedom?

On balance though it is worth recalling the example of Brasilia, a new capital city built in a crazy out of the way place and now thriving. Zhengzhou may be a failed project but it is not impossible it had some logic to it and not utterly impossible that it has a future. So the Amtrack line may be part of the solution and maybe that just needs more future thinking. I only say this to balance the storyline a bit, not out of any optimism about the quality of governance in China. Question becomes - when do you admit a project has failed and stop throwing money at it? Maybe - when people stop getting rich out of the project!
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 20:35
    Did Obama offer this free or would Americans be PAID to do this? If the latter, would Americans be

a) better off?
    b) worse off?
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 20:45
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Did Obama offer this free or would Americans be PAID to do this? If the latter, would Americans be

a) better off?
    b) worse off?
    Some might be better off some might be worse off.

Is it gummints business to make innocent people worse off?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 22:472 edits

a) better off?
    b) worse off?
    The high speed rail suggestion is just a Big Government scam. Not only would they cost billions of tax payer money, they would require billions more to keep up and running. It would then become just another money losing scam like Amtrack robbing the American people of even more tax money.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Waj is right. I have no idea what is good for you and others, but I am thinking you know what is good for me. Therefore, the bufden is on you, what is "good" for us all?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 22:50
    Zhengzhou New District in Henan, a place with plans for fifteen yet-to-be-inaugurated universities. This is enlightened indeed. Who could object?

Nearest Western example I can think of is America's military industrial complex and its mountains of unwanted, useless nuclear weapons, its insane Star Wars scam and many other examples. Who could object to ...[text shortened]... failed and stop throwing money at it? Maybe - when people stop getting rich out of the project!
    The waste of centralized planning is truly astounding.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 22:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Just as a matter of interest, the exact same thing is going on in Dubai. Is that also central planning run amock, and are you happy with whatever criticism you are hoping to throw at communism also apply to Dubai (a capitalist Mecca)?
    A capitalist would never make such a great investment unless they had a very good chance at making money off of it. Translated, if a capitalist helps build a city, there will be people living in it.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 22:53
    So what should we do with these ghost cities?

1. Israeli/Palastinian homeland?
    2. Japanese refuge from centuries of radiactive wasteland?
    3. Libyan rebel/Gadaffi refuge?
    4. Relocation area for Washington DC which is where they belong?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 01:35
    A capitalist would never make such a great investment unless they had a very good chance at making money off of it. Translated, if a capitalist helps build a city, there will be people living in it.
    There are vacant homes aplenty due to stupid capitalists and nobody's living in them.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 02:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    There are vacant homes aplenty due to stupid capitalists and nobody's living in them.
    Perhaps it's a case of No True Scots Home...
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 03:18
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Of course, there are stupid capitalists, but it is their stupid money, not tax payers money.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree