England for world cup

England for world cup

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
26 May 06

Luso-brasileiro

Cajamar, SP

Moves
26 May 06

http://cbfnews.uol.com.br/copadomundo/

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
26 May 06

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Jesus, sometimes this place is painful. "inability of the proletariat..." "pray that England go out in group stages..." - God forbid a large group of people band together and celebrate something once in a while. You're all a bunch of sourpusses. Every one of you. And some of you (who use the word "proletariat" - NARG) - are elitist snob sourpusses.
Everybody hates the English so we expect everyone to hope we lose. It's just something you get used to.

I would have thought you'd understand this.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
26 May 06
1 edit

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
26 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Wait wait - you've got it wrong. I thought everybody hates MY country. Especially in soccer. It's the last thing we've left to the rest of the world. When the USA win the World Cup this summer, our conquest will be complete.

Don't think for one minute you're going to horn in on my getting-hated-on. Want it all to myself. Roll around in it. Lay there a while. Yeah...
🙂

I've never heard of anybody hating the US soccer team!! Honest!!! I think people are genuinely rather impressed with how far they have come in the last few years. I always give them a bit of support unless of course they are playing England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales (yes, even Wales), Norway, Sweden, Finland or Turkey. Quite a few teams in there but still quite a lot left too!

Oh but we definitely come top of the league in being hated though. Lost count of the number of people I know who say "I support *insert country here* or any country playing England". It's rather cute in a way.

cs
i'll decide!

Glasgow Scotland

Moves
26 May 06

Oh but we definitely come top of the league in being hated though. Lost count of the number of people I know who say "I support *insert country here* or any country playing England". It's rather cute in a way.[/b]
dont forget the support for the various law enforcement agencies of "insert country here!"

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by welsharnie
I don't know. Maybe if we had a motor too, we could drive it across the ocean to the US, taking care to avoid hitting Ireland of course.
Very considerate of you. Cheers!

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by Wheely
🙂

I've never heard of anybody hating the US soccer team!! Honest!!! I think people are genuinely rather impressed with how far they have come in the last few years. I always give them a bit of support unless of course they are playing England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales (yes, even Wales), Norway, Sweden, Finland or Turkey. Quite a few teams in there but s ...[text shortened]... I support *insert country here* or any country playing England". It's rather cute in a way.
Note from rest of world: it's not just soccer- we hate your rugby team, and Tim Bleeding Henman too. We're not choosy in our hatred. We like to spread it around.

N

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by sjeg
Note from rest of world: it's not just soccer- we hate your rugby team, and Tim Bleeding Henman too. We're not choosy in our hatred. We like to spread it around.
Where's Togo?

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
27 May 06

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it was just footy. Of course, everyone hates the rugby team, the cricket team, Tim Henman (odd one that) and in fact anything that we make heroes out of.

Must be tiring for you guys!

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
27 May 06

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it was just footy. Of course, everyone hates the rugby team, the cricket team, Tim Henman (odd one that) and in fact anything that we make heroes out of.

Must be tiring for you guys!
Well, hate is perhaps the wrong word, as it implies an active kind of loathing. That would take up far too much energy, you are quite correct. It's more of a feeling of mild disgust and pity.

It's not Tim himself, he seems quite a nice bloke- it's the people who sit on Henman Hill and who get into centre court, and then shout 'Come on Teeeem', all the time, usually just as he is serving. He was doomed to failure from day one- you couldn't succeed with those b@$tards on your side.

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by Nargaguna
Where's Togo?
Good question- I'll get back to you on that one.

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
27 May 06

Well, hate is perhaps the wrong word, as it implies an active kind of loathing. That would take up far too much energy, you are quite correct. It's more of a feeling of mild disgust and pity.

It's not Tim himself, he seems quite a nice bloke- it's the people who sit on Henman Hill and who get into centre court, and then shout 'Come on Teeeem', all the time, ...[text shortened]... was doomed to failure from day one- you couldn't succeed with those b@$tards on your side.
Understood!

Do you think that, lets say, the Scottish rugby team were playing in the world cup quarter finals at Murrayfield and that there was a hill outside from which you could see live footage of the match that there would be a load of people sitting on the hill shouting "c'mon Turnyyyyyyyyyy" or something like that?

I realize that pathological adulation of sporting "heroes" is a purely English thing and that we deserve utter derision for it 🙂

Regards

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
27 May 06

Understood!

Do you think that, lets say, the Scottish rugby team were playing in the world cup quarter finals at Murrayfield and that there was a hill outside from which you could see live footage of the match that there would be a load of people sitting on the hill shouting "c'mon Turnyyyyyyyyyy" or something like that?

I realize that pathological adul ...[text shortened]... "heroes" is a purely English thing and that we deserve utter derision for it 🙂

Regards
They might say 'och eye, ye floooor o' Sco'lun!', which is far less annoying.

I'll try and explain.

It's not the adulation, it's more the attitude- the unfounded expectation that you will always win the bloody cup, even when you clearly have a bloody average team.

Or when you do have a good team, you are even more reprehensible. Like when before the last Rugby World Cup, there were interviews with players and managment asking not 'CAN we win the WC?', but 'Can we win the WC WITHOUT CONCEDING A TRY?!'. You're too annoying.

And then you did win the world cup, whilst being arguably the fourth best side, and you were thoroughly intollerable. Any chance of anyone being glad for you vanishes when they see your behaviour on those rare occasions when you do actually win something. You even printed up programmes for the following six nations, advertising Wales, Scotland, Italy and Ireland as courses in a meal leading up to the main dish, a Six Nations decider with France on the last day, so confident were you of defeating EVERYONE.

But then we arrived and thrashed you in Twickenham, and brought you back down to earth. England finished fourth, I think. Does any of this shed any light?

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
27 May 06

They might say 'och eye, ye floooor o' Sco'lun!', which is far less annoying.

I'll try and explain.

It's not the adulation, it's more the attitude- the unfounded expectation that you will always win the bloody cup, even when you clearly have a bloody average team.

Or when you do have a good team, you are even more reprehensible. Like when before the la ...[text shortened]... ck down to earth. England finished fourth, I think. Does any of this shed any light?
Hey, I'm not asking why!! I know why!!

Take for example the current madness with the world cup team. Personally I don't think England have a hope in hell but yes, the whole country goes mental over a single player. I agree it doesn't make one bit of sense. However, I don't believe it's peculiar to the English.

I think the English supporters get blamed for what the stupid newspapers say. I never heard anyone say "We'll do this without losing a try". I never heard anyone say that the six nations was going to be an easy win (yes we did come fourth). You will admit, no doubt, that the English were always going to be favourites in that match at Twickenham. The Irish deserved the win it too. I don't know of any English supporter who thinks England will make the next Rugby World Cup quarter finals, let alone win the thing. How do you rate the Irish chances? Didn't the Welsh behave like you accuse the English, after their grand slam?

It doesn't really matter though, I'll continue supporting the home nations, nobody says you have to!