1. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 04:25
    well, you asked for it!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7857087/EU-to-ban-selling-eggs-by-dozen.html
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 04:54
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    well, you asked for it!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7857087/EU-to-ban-selling-eggs-by-dozen.html
    I'll believe it when I see it! (I've lost count of the number of times I,ve been told I wont be allowed to buy beer by the pint and that bananas will have to be uniformly bent).

EU proposals are generally fr the benefit of the consumer.

I can imagine selling rolls by weight to be a good thing. Ditto eggs.

But I would not believe anything written in the Torygraph about Europe!
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 06:49
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    well, you asked for it!

What will be the alternative? By the 10s?

By the wieght?
    "I want 2 hectogram eggs please."
    "That will be 3 and a half egg. Do you want it in a bag, sir?"
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 06:56
    I read the article, but just don't get the point. Is there some sort of reason for both making a change and forcing it on every nation in the group? That wouldn't exactly be a big selling point for wanting to be in the EU.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 07:081 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What will be the alternative? By the 10s?

By the wieght?
    "I want 2 hectogram eggs please."
    "That will be 3 and a half egg. Do you want it in a bag, sir?"
    Weight makes sense for eggs. "Eight eggs please." "Large, medium, small, factory, free range?" "Medium, free range please." "That's 400 grammes, so that'll be 2 euros please."
  6. Germany
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 07:44
    If this proposal comes through, you can still by eggs by the dozen. They just won't be priced by the dozen, but by weight. So if your box of eggs has some relatively small egss you'll be paying less. Makes sense to me.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 07:46
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I read the article, but just don't get the point. Is there some sort of reason for both making a change and forcing it on every nation in the group? That wouldn't exactly be a big selling point for wanting to be in the EU.
    The U.S. federal government can make changes and force them unto all states. Note that the EU budget is a mere 1% of its member states' GDP.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 09:291 edit
    Myths about this kind of legislations by the EU have been about for quite some time. Every country has at least one traditional dish that is permanently about to be banned by the EU but never is.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 09:34
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Myths about this kind of legislations by the EU have been about for quite some time. Every country has at least one traditional dish that is permanently about to be banned by the EU but never is.
    It was a fad in the U.K. in the 1980s, especially, to make up these kinds of stories.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 10:37
    the French tried to decimalise time once, even producing watches, twelve is just a more practical number. Seems like the ancient Babylonians knew a thing or two.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 10:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the French tried to decimalise time once, even producing watches, twelve is just a more practical number. Seems like the ancient Babylonians knew a thing or two.
    So you want the dodecimal system back? Like we'd have 6 fingers on our hands?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 13:10
    I can see it now, the duodecimal system brought back, requiring a genetic program to force the human race to all have 6 fingers. They will point to how pianists, guitarists and flute players will have definite advantages in music competitions, how if you are in the mafia where they cut off your little finger for transgressions, you still have 5 fingers left. Yes, I can see it all happening now.....
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 13:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I can see it now, the duodecimal system brought back, requiring a genetic program to force the human race to all have 6 fingers. They will point to how pianists, guitarists and flute players will have definite advantages in music competitions, how if you are in the mafia where they cut off your little finger for transgressions, you still have 5 fingers left. Yes, I can see it all happening now.....
    When I was new to the binary systm, I counted on my fingers to represent a 8-bit byte. Worked very well.
    ( "But what about the thumbs?" ) I used them as carry.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 14:40
    since when did you count time on your fingers????
  15. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 10:35
    No EU ban on buying 'dozen' eggs

Page last updated at 12:03 GMT, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 13:03 UK

The EU is not preparing to ban the sale of groceries by quantity, such as "a dozen" eggs, the Euro MP steering new food labelling legislation says.

Renate Sommer MEP was responding to suggestions that shoppers might have to change the habits of a lifetime if all food had to be sold by weight.

"There will be no changes to selling foods by number," she said on Tuesday.

"Selling eggs by the dozen... will not be banned," she said. No final agreement is expected before mid-2011.

Earlier this month the European Parliament rejected an amendment which said that in some cases EU member states could leave the weight off the label, if the produce was traditionally sold by number.

The amendment said: "In the case of foodstuffs normally sold by number, member states need not require indication of the net quantity provided that the number of items can be clearly seen and easily counted from the outside or, if not, is indicated on the labelling".
    Egg rules to be kept

Ms Sommer said the new rules would allow both the weight and quantity to be indicated, so the number of items in a box of eggs or bag of bread rolls would be clear.

Existing EU rules on egg sizes would be unaffected, she said. There are four official sizes of eggs - very large (73g and over); large (63-73g); medium (53-63g) and small (under 53g).

Earlier, UK officials said they would defend food producers' right to label groceries by number.

EU countries currently have exemptions allowing some pre-packed foods to be labelled by number alone.

The new legislation will now be considered by EU government ministers before a second reading in the parliament.

British Labour MEP Glenis Willmott, closely involved in the negotiations, said "there is absolutely nothing in the new rules... that would prevent producers from selling their products by quantity - so to say that it won't be possible to sell eggs by the dozen is plain wrong".

MEPs rejected "traffic light" colour coding in nutritional labelling - a system already used by some supermarkets - in favour of "Guideline Daily Amounts" (GDAs).

Many food producers had lobbied against "traffic lights", fearing that they would stigmatise certain foods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10461548.stm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree