1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:10
    So Facebook announced it wants to make 100 billion dollars by selling our personal information to advertisers. The private information of users of facebook are going to make the approximate 1000 facebook employees millionaires as their private shares in the company are converted to public stock.

Facebook collects all of your status posts, your name, your email address, your friend's names and anything else you've put on the site and then packages it all up into big giant information portfolio and sells it to advertisers to do as they please.

This is crazy.

I think the day after the IPO launches, everyone on facebook should close their account. The stock will tank and all those "millionaires" trying to profit by monetizing your personal information will lose all their money.

Rise up my friends...rise up!!
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:45
    Originally posted by uzless
    So Facebook announced it wants to make 100 billion dollars by selling our personal information to advertisers. The private information of users of facebook are going to make the approximate 1000 facebook employees millionaires as their private shares in the company are converted to public stock.

Facebook collects all of your status posts, your name, your ...[text shortened]... izing your personal information will lose all their money.

You are right - if you have a problem with facebook using your information then delete your account.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 18:30

Facebook collects all of your status posts, your name, your ...[text shortened]... izing your personal information will lose all their money.

Boo Hoo

Facebook provides people with an enormous service (if they want to use it) and does it all absolutely free. You can do business, send messages, share photos and videos, etc. etc. etc. all for free.

But because they were clever enough to find a way to make money out of it, that bothers you.

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

They don't "take" anybody's private information. The "private information" is voluntarily given to them by whomever chooses to do so.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 19:23
    Proletarians unite! You have nothing to lose but your Facebook account.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 19:34
    Facebook should be ashamed. They are and have created a whole bunch of 1%'ers. What are they trying to do, make it 2%'ers?

They make Hugo Chavez cry at night. :'(
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 20:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    Boo Hoo

Facebook provides people with an enormous service (if they want to use it) and does it all absolutely free. You can do business, send messages, share photos and videos, etc. etc. etc. all for free.

But because they were clever enough to find a way to make money out of it, that bothers you.

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

They don't "tak ...[text shortened]... rivate information" is voluntarily given to them by whomever chooses to do so.
    Is there anyone who still thinks what they post on Facebook is still "private"?😲
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 20:34
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Is there anyone who still thinks what they post on Facebook is still "private"?😲
    It's amusing when "privacy" advocates complain about company's "releasing" information that the consumer knowing and voluntarily released in the public domain... as though all the people using these social media sites are a bunch of victims. 🙄
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 01:57
    It's amusing when "privacy" advocates complain about company's "releasing" information that the consumer knowing and voluntarily released in the public domain... as though all the people using these social media sites are a bunch of victims. 🙄
    Many people only release information to close friends and family with everyone else being blocked.

That isn't "information that the consumer knowing and voluntarily released in the public domain."
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 04:53
    Frankly, not everything posted on facebook is public domain. I agree with you that many seem to forget how facebook makes their money, but they do publish specific privacy controls and they have given the impression that some information is limited in the privacy.

I would say people should not put private information up on facebook in no small part because the company has shown that they aren't as scrupulous as most would expect.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 07:22

So can I take it that you have deleted your account?

I never created a facebook account in the first place because I knew perfectly there were privacy concerns and I currently do not expect the benefits to outweigh the risks. That may change in the future and I may make and account.

Of course the main reason Facebook would want to go public now, is there is a serious risk that they will get beaten at their own game by a competitor such as Google+. So better to cash out now while the going is good.
  12. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 09:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I have a problem with facebook using or monetizing any or all of uzelesses photo's, whether its free for him to use or not!!! I am not ready to be confronted by his images at all!
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 13:57
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Many people only release information to close friends and family with everyone else being blocked.

That isn't "information that the consumer knowing and voluntarily released in the public domain."
    And all FB does with that info is, if anything, use it to target ads towards you that you would tend, based on your activity, to be interested in.

Can anyone make a coherent argument that there's something wrong with that?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 14:05
    The worst thing about Facebook is that Bono apparently has a large stake in Facebook, so this IPO will make him a lot of money. 🙁
  15. Joined
    04 Oct '10
    Moves
    04 Feb '12 18:28
    I'm just jealous that a guy like Mark Zuckerberg has made a fortune, and I haven't. On the other hand, it's a social network. It's not like the guy cured cancer. Is it worth $100 billion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree