1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 20:181 edit
    https://ijr.com/2018/03/1077083-ex-obama-campaign-director-fb/

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists.

When Facebook found out what they were doing, they were “surprised,” she said. But she also claimed they didn’t stop them once they found out:

“They came to office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side,” Davidsen tweeted.

Davidsen began the tweet thread with a link to a Time article outlining the Obama campaign's Facebook targeting campaign, which she said was codenamed “Project Taargus”:

That’s because the more than 1 million Obama backers who signed up for the [Facebook-based app] gave the campaign permission to look at their Facebook friend lists. In an instant, the campaign had a way to see the hidden young voters. Roughly 85% of those without a listed phone number could be found in the uploaded friend lists. What’s more, Facebook offered an ideal way to reach them. “People don’t trust campaigns. They don’t even trust media organizations,” says Goff. “Who do they trust? Their friends.”

The campaign called this effort targeted sharing. And in those final weeks of the campaign, the team blitzed the supporters who had signed up for the app with requests to share specific online content with specific friends simply by clicking a button. More than 600,000 supporters followed through with more than 5 million contacts, asking their friends to register to vote, give money, vote or look at a video designed to change their mind. A geek squad in Chicago created models from vast data sets to find the best approaches for each potential voter. “We are not just sending you a banner ad,” explains Dan Wagner, the Obama campaign’s 29-year-old head of analytics, who helped oversee the project. “We are giving you relevant information from your friends.”

Facebook did not immediately respond to IJR's request for comment. IJR has also reached out to Davidsen as well as current and former Mitt Romney campaign officials for comment.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 20:21
    Looks like Facebook took a pounding on Wall Street after this came out.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 20:43
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Looks like Facebook took a pounding on Wall Street after this came out.
    Actually, the relevant story here is Cambridge Analytica.
    That's the data firm with links to the Trump campaign.

Focus on the story at hand !!
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 21:19
    https://ijr.com/2018/03/1077083-ex-obama-campaign-director-fb/

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integr ...[text shortened]... eached out to Davidsen as well as current and former Mitt Romney campaign officials for comment.
    Oh brother!

Conservatives: Always pointing the finger of fault away from themselves. How repugnant.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 22:55
    Originally posted by @mghrn55

The story at hand is that the corruption of the 21st century will be the government, media, and social media working to mold the opinion of the masses.

So we should stop with this "collusion for me but not for thee" distraction stuff.

You should be against it in every instance if you care about democracy
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:02
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    The story at hand is that the corruption of the 21st century will be the government, media, and social media working to mold the opinion of the masses.

So we should stop with this "collusion for me but not for thee" distraction stuff.

You should be against it in every instance if you care about democracy
    Collusion is just fine as long as it is politically correct.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:34
    Originally posted by @mghrn55

Yes, whodey tried a pre-emptive strike on us all, probably hoping no one heard the REAL story yet.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 00:13
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Yes, whodey tried a pre-emptive strike on us all, probably hoping no one heard the REAL story yet.
    Ham on a second.
    Do you mean he gave you information in an attempt to sway you from an opinion you were going to have in the future?
    Aren't there rules against that type of underhandedness?
    What a disgusting violation of future privacy!
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 04:05
    Collusion is just fine as long as it is politically correct.
    Yep.

And you know what irks me...

Peopole act like you are changing topics when you talk about the endemic corruption of the Clintons when they are trying to bash Pres. Trump, but this all really is the same topic, just like how the Russians using Facebook is the same topic as the Facebook people colluding with Pres. Obama's campaign folks.

And thus, of course, colludign with Pres. Obama himself.

And that again hgihlights waht is the most disgusting aspect of all of this:

it took six years or so for this to come to light.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 04:06
    I have long thought that the media is actively involved in manufacturing consent and that the schools were far to oinvolved in molding the opinions of the next generation. I believed in what really amounted to free thought, free inquiry, free eveyrthing.

But those are all ideals to flush down the toilet when you realize that pursuing these things when no one else would pursue them is a fool's dream.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 02:20
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I have long thought that the media is actively involved in manufacturing consent and that the schools were far to oinvolved in molding the opinions of the next generation. I believed in what really amounted to free thought, free inquiry, free eveyrthing.

But those are all ideals to flush down the toilet when you realize that pursuing these things when no one else would pursue them is a fool's dream.
    Your post is close.

Only one word off.

Delete 'schools' and insert 'Roger Ailes and Fox News'. All they do is produce right-wing propaganda for the masses. They should provide a spoon with every broadcast.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree