1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 17:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually Joe I was unaware, it was not until OPEC refused to cut back output before i knew something was nefarious was afoot!
    Its because of Syria
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 19:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Its because of Syria
    What vested interested does America have in Syria?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 23:45
    What vested interested does America have in Syria?
    Not much 'vested interest' other than suppressing Russia Cold War style. Also we want to suppress ISIS/Daesh. So we need to help the FSA. But the Arabs have a major interest in Syria.

Also cheaper fuel means cheaper to operate Western military equipment. And lower gas prices which Americans are obsessed with.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 12:49
    Not much 'vested interest' other than suppressing Russia Cold War style. Also we want to suppress ISIS/Daesh. So we need to help the FSA. But the Arabs have a major interest in Syria.

Also cheaper fuel means cheaper to operate Western military equipment. And lower gas prices which Americans are obsessed with.
    So what's the US congress for if you have Saudis influencing it because of their tremendous buying power? Why not just elect the Saudis, or the Israelis?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 15:10
    So what's the US congress for if you have Saudis influencing it because of their tremendous buying power? Why not just elect the Saudis, or the Israelis?
    US Congress is full of Republicans. They are very aggressive people who like burning fuel.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 17:59
    US Congress is full of Republicans. They are very aggressive people who like burning fuel.
    Leftists politicians don't like burning fuel?

Leftist politicians don't have private jet planes and live in large fuel consuming mansions?
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:25
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Oil values are already a figment of a speculator's imagination and we will come to appreciate the significance of that in time. We have seen more than one crash through excessive speculation and more are coming soon enough.

Saudi Arabia can not only screw Russia and Venezuela, but also North Sea oil and to some degree fracking, because their oil just s ...[text shortened]... change disaster, there is sufficient demand to retain the value of the reserves. I suggest not.
    Fracking not only gets to oil reserves not previously available, but more importantly I think, natural gas. This resource in time may diminish the use of oil in many important areas, especially generation of electricity.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:28
    And lower gas prices which Americans are obsessed with.
    Why wouldn't we. At $4 a gallon I was spending as much for gas as for rent.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 02:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Leftists politicians don't like burning fuel?

Leftist politicians don't have private jet planes and live in large fuel consuming mansions?
    Tell me about it. Al Gore's mansion uses more fossil fuels in a year than I have in my lifetime.
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 11:25
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Fracking not only gets to oil reserves not previously available, but more importantly I think, natural gas. This resource in time may diminish the use of oil in many important areas, especially generation of electricity.
    In what way is the burning of gas ( a fossil fuel) more environmentally benign than the burning of oil (a fossil fuel)?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 11:26
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Tell me about it. Al Gore's mansion uses more fossil fuels in a year than I have in my lifetime.
    you have of course data for your carbon footprint at hand
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 15:25
    you have of course data for your carbon footprint at hand
    It's one of those paradoxes of political careerism. Al Gore, the eco-warrior has a huge personal carbon footprint. George Dubya Bush, defender of the oil industry, has a ranch packed with every energy saving technology you can think of. It's a red herring of course, what they do personally is practically irrelevant, except as a means to provide ammunition to the arguments of their opponents, what matters is the total carbon footprint of the 320 million people in the US, who collectively can burn more fossil fuel without being extravagent at a rate far higher than Gore, Bush or the whole of Congress, the judicial arm and the executive put together can hope to.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 15:51
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's one of those paradoxes of political careerism. Al Gore, the eco-warrior has a huge personal carbon footprint. George Dubya Bush, defender of the oil industry, has a ranch packed with every energy saving technology you can think of. It's a red herring of course, what they do personally is practically irrelevant, except as a means to provide ammuni ...[text shortened]... ore, Bush or the whole of Congress, the judicial arm and the executive put together can hope to.
    Yes I did get Gores book from the library but I think i got bored and never read it. What I do remember that for him the environment became a moral issue. Of course in order for his stance to have any potency he must have freedom of speech which evidently he doesn't. George Bush stance while admirable reminds me of allegedly religious people who get drunk and go to nightclubs but object to eating food that is forbidden to them. its a matter of perspective.
  14. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 22:31
    I love all your geo political conspiracy theories.

Essentially we are seeing a slow down in India and China meaning lower demand.

Supply of substitutes shale and renewables have increased.

= lower price.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 01:10
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I love all your geo political conspiracy theories.

Essentially we are seeing a slow down in India and China meaning lower demand.

Supply of substitutes shale and renewables have increased.

= lower price.
    We've seen a large supply of oil for quite some time now, it is only lately that we have seen a dramatic drop in the price of oil. The price of oil and gas here in the US does not seem to be tied to the laws of supply and demand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree