1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 05:37
    I wonder if China or Japan might follow suit?
    Fidelity sells off short-term U.S. government debt

The nation's largest manager of money market mutual funds said Wednesday that it no longer holds any U.S. government debt that comes due around the time the nation could hit its borrowing limit.

Money market portfolio managers at Fidelity Investments have been selling off their government debt holdings over the last couple of weeks, said Nancy Prior, president of Fidelity's Money Market Group. While Fidelity expects the debt ceiling issue to be resolved, the Boston-based asset manager said it is taking steps to protect investors.

Prior said that Fidelity no longer holds any U.S. debt that comes due in late October or early November, the window considered by many investors to be the most exposed if the government runs out of money and defaults on its obligations.

"We expect Congress will take the steps necessary to avoid default, but in our position as money market managers we have to take precautionary measures," Prior said.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fidelity-bonds-20131009,0,3822933.story
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 13:50
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I wonder if China or Japan might follow suit?
    [b]Fidelity sells off short-term U.S. government debt

The nation's largest manager of money market mutual funds said Wednesday that it no longer holds any U.S. government debt that comes due around the time the nation could hit its borrowing limit.

Money market portfolio managers at Fidelity In ...[text shortened]... ior said.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fidelity-bonds-20131009,0,3822933.story[/b]
    I bet more and more people are going to feel that way, the Gov. is shooting
    itself in the foot. It has shaken people's faith in the Gov. to the point that
    even if they come up with a deal people are not going to trust them. They
    may find themselves at some point that people not going to buy anything
    they are selling.
    Kelly
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 00:47
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I bet more and more people are going to feel that way, the Gov. is shooting
    itself in the foot. It has shaken people's faith in the Gov. to the point that
    even if they come up with a deal people are not going to trust them. They
    may find themselves at some point that people not going to buy anything
    they are selling.
    Kelly
    This could be resolved in 15 minutes if Boehner would let the clean CR and clean debt ceiling votes go to the House Floor. The President would sign immediately.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:39
    This could be resolved in 15 minutes if Boehner would let the clean CR and clean debt ceiling votes go to the House Floor. The President would sign immediately.
    You really think people are going to get all confident by the government being given permission to increase the already outlandish 16.7 Trillion$ debt?

Only fools are buying that.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 01:48
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You really think people are going to get all confident by the government being given permission to increase the already outlandish 16.7 Trillion$ debt?

Only fools are buying that.
    Fidelity would not have dumped the US debt if the debt ceiling had been raised.

Only fools do not understand that.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 02:53
    Well there are a lot of people who could be willing to talk and things
    can change. The long and short is that the guy in charge is the one that
    will in history be talked about not leader of the house.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 02:55

I guess I'm a fool, because to trust someone whose only goal in life is
    to go deeper and deeper in debt isn't worth trust in my opinion.
    Kelly
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 05:03
    I guess I'm a fool, because to trust someone whose only goal in life is
    to go deeper and deeper in debt isn't worth trust in my opinion.
    Kelly
    Weird reply, especially in the context of why Fidelity dumped their short-term US treasuries.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 05:04
    Well there are a lot of people who could be willing to talk and things
    can change. The long and short is that the guy in charge is the one that
    will in history be talked about not leader of the house.
    Kelly
    False equivalence.

And I promise you, the last shutdown is much more associated with Speaker Gingrich than President Clinton.

Speaker Boehner will go down in US history as the most scum-of-the earth Speaker.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 10:401 edit
    False equivalence.

And I promise you, the last shutdown is much more associated with Speaker Gingrich than President Clinton.

Speaker Boehner will go down in US history as the most scum-of-the earth Speaker.
    Its possible, I'm not an Boehner fan; however, between Obama and him
    there are issues i think will go down in history as well, questionable, such
    as Benghazi, fast and furious, IRS scandal, NAS scandal, cutting off Vet
    death payouts during a war, closing WW2 monuments so the WW2 Vets
    cannot see them while letting Illegal aliens protest on government
    grounds, Solyndra, nearly doubling the total US debt in 5 years, never
    signing a budget, just off the top of my head I’d say Obama will be
    remembered over both Clinton, Boehner, Carter and possibly even Nixon.
    Kelly
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 23:43

A lot of fools lost a large part of their life savings when the real estate bubble burst in Sept. 2008.

The policy of the Fed is creating a worse bubble which will eventually burst, as bubbles do, and that is coming and encouraged by the Fed continuing to buy US debt. The longer it is delayed the more violent the crash will be.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 23:46
    False equivalence.

Only if he folds like a cheap lawn chair. As long as he stands up and fights Obama, he has nothing to worry about.
  13. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 04:013 edits
    Its possible, I'm not an Boehner fan; however, between Obama and him
    there are issues i think will go down in history as well, questionable, such
    as Benghazi, fast and furious, IRS scandal, NAS scandal, cutting off Vet
    death payouts during a war, closing WW2 monuments so the WW2 Vets
    cannot see them while letting Illegal aliens protest on government
    gr ...[text shortened]... say Obama will be
    remembered over both Clinton, Boehner, Carter and possibly even Nixon.
    Kelly
    The only thing Obama will be remember for is healthcare reform, a major achievement in US history.

Not sure about Clinton. He was impeached (by the way, that was the last time the GOP hit an all time favorability low). I kind of doubt that much would be said specifically about Clinton getting head on the side and lying about it under oath.

I actually think Reagan's defecation on the Constitution (bypassing the Constitution) in selling arms to Iran and diverting the funds to the Contras in violation the Boland Amendment will get much more play (be considered much more substantive) in the history books.

But as for Clinton, he was/is the most popular politician in America and the world. That might be something retained in the history books.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 04:02
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Only if he folds like a cheap lawn chair. As long as he stands up and fights Obama, he has nothing to worry about.
    Boehner is already folding. To be sure, the ACA is off the table. Maybe he can get repeal of the medical instrument tax.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 06:31
    The only thing Obama will be remember for is healthcare reform, a major achievement in US history.

Not sure about Clinton. He was impeached (by the way, that was the last time the GOP hit an all time favorability low). I kind of doubt that much would be said specifically about Clinton getting head on the side and lying about it under oath.

I actua ...[text shortened]... lar politician in America and the world. That might be something retained in the history books.
    I'm quite sure he will be remembered for healthcare reform, it is going so
    well now, and if a simple web site was to much for them, the rest of this
    healthcare law is going to be so cool to live with. I doubt they will forget all
    the times people working for him lied to everyone, and once he loses
    control of the Justice department they may start really looking into some of
    the things that have been going on.

With respect to Clinton, some of the good things he did Obama undid, and
    the one thing I recall about him is his lying about sex.

I do agree with you that all or our Presidents have flaws, they are after
    all just people.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree