Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 May '21 16:49
    @shavixmir said
    Yes.
    What to do about it?
    Men have to change their behavior.

But they won't.

Prison followed by a lifetime dealing with society as a sexual offender is a start. But that's punitive. Preventing this, using others as examples, never seems to work. Deterrence for those whose psyche bends them in that direction is nigh on impossible.
  5. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    10 May '21 18:04
    @Suzianne
    A very interesting subject, and another example of how our society is completely out of sync with nature. First thing to understand is that life would not exist without sex. Food and sex are the main forces of all organic life. Second, if our handling of food and sex were reversed, we would be a thousand times healthier both physically and mentally. Third, if humanity truly can't handle sex, how about getting rid of it -- by genetic engineering and test tube births -- anyone for that?

This also reminds me of these two cute girls, barely 17, sitting near me in my English class and happily bragging about having sex with older guys because boys their age don't know what the heck to do.

And finally, what about all those girls committing suicide because nobody finds them attractive? Anyone feel bad for them? I've never seen a girl commit suicide because they were desired.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 May '21 18:17
    @bunnyknight

I've seen girls commit suicide because they had been raped and abused. I've seen girls learn to hate their own bodies for attracting unwanted sexual interest. I have never seen or read about a girl who ended their life as a result of not being found attractive. I worked in mental health for 30 years.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 May '21 19:18
    @suzianne said
    Men have to change their behavior.

But they won't.

Prison followed by a lifetime dealing with society as a sexual offender is a start. But that's punitive. Preventing this, using others as examples, never seems to work. Deterrence for those whose psyche bends them in that direction is nigh on impossible.
    "Prison followed by a lifetime dealing with society as a sexual offender" for what?

For sexual assault or rape? Sure.

For "unsolicited male attention"? Ummm. No. We're not putting people in prison for leering or making a suggestive comment.

You really need to be more nuanced in your analysis.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 May '21 19:48
    @sh76 said
    "Prison followed by a lifetime dealing with society as a sexual offender" for what?

For "unsolicited male attention"? Ummm. No. We're not putting people in prison for leering or making a suggestive comment.

Could someone explain how this gets a thumbs down?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 May '21 19:58
    @sh76 said

Do you seriously think I am advocating prison for "leering or making a suggestive comment"? It seems you stopped reading at that point as well.

Maybe you need to be more nuanced in your supposition.

Men's behavior also follows a path of least resistance. The ones who take it to that final, undesired result have a long history of the lesser behaviors. Men being told by society that "it's your world" while women are told and shown their whole lives that "men are more important". This is the thing that has to change. The endemic, systemic message. But men always start to freak out when women are empowered. The B-word, the C-word and the L-word often follow. That's a problem. A lot of men can't let women be women. They want women to be their vision of what women should be. Less regarded, less worthy, less important. Instead of being invested in bringing women down, maybe men should just stay busy being better men.
  10. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    10 May '21 21:151 edit
    The old Y-chromosome shows why women are so easy to influence.
    Ahh, now the tawdry problem of removing the Y-chromosome from 37 trillion cells of the males. Uh huh.

Oh, and cut their balls off, too.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '21 01:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '21 02:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 May '21 04:16
    It’s such a complicated issue.
    I mean the spectrum of what we’e talking about ranges from natural instincts (which can include predatory behaviour) to micro-managing relationships.

Strikt codes of conduct for adults dealing with kids. And hefty penalties and shaming if you break them. That has a history of working. Especially when combined with job rotation.

Get rid of this whole “losing your virginity” malarkey. It’s not losing anything, it’s just gaining a new experience.

Proper education for men and women. Most can’t pinpoint a urethra or frenulum and the majority have warped ideas about the hymen.

An open culture about talking about sex, bodily functions, experiences, etc.
    To me as a father, I have to admit that I find even talking about kissing rather difficult. But if this can get opened up, then it will be less of an issue and far harder to force kids to be quiet about abuse and such things.

Years ago we were given an anti-rape course (well, the women were, but I was sitting in as part of my education). And two things (besides very basic self-defence techniques) stood out:
    If you’re ever being assaulted shout “FIRE”. Don’t call for help.

And even more importantly (and this can save your live or your bodily integrity), if you’re in a situation you think you’re being followed, stop and seriously scratch your vagina. As if you’re very itchy.
    Without looking in the direction of the person you think is following you, but with a quick look around, acting like you’re checking nobody is watching. Practise it so it looks natural.

Obviously most abuse is in and around the home (family members, close friends).
    No contracts or scratching is going to help in those situations.
    If at all possible, if you need babysitters, get two adults at the same time (so an aunt and an uncle or a friend and his wife... or two babysitters from various services) to babysit.

By no means always realistic or perfect, but it minimizes the chances of something going wrong.

Is it a lot of prevention being laid out on potential victims, rather than a focus on men’s behaviour? Yes. You are not going to change the behaviour of the majority of perpetrators. You can build in checks and balances, but much more is nigh on impossible.

You teach children to cross the road safely, because no matter how well you train drivers or punish the bad ones, those cars will run down a kid.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 May '21 10:201 edit
    @Duchess64
    My mother's cursory 'advice' consisted of, in effect:
    "Don't lose your virginity before marriage or, if you somehow do, never talk about that shame. If you fall pregnant before marriage, your life is ruined and it would be better for you to disappear rather than bring more shame onto the family."

My mother was a wise woman. When I got pregnant while still single and living with my parents, she said "A child is no problem, just make sure you don't marry for the wrong reasons." And I didn't.
  15. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    11 May '21 11:02
    OMG men are attracted to younger women what is the world coming to?
    When did this happen?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree