30 May '11 21:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.pickensplan.com/
    ...and?
  2. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 May '11 22:19
    I believe Denmark has a pledge to be free of fossil fuels by 2050. Can a nation do both?
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 May '11 22:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So, how many people died from the Fukushima accident so far?
    As yet unreported. They are keeping a tight lid on all of the families working there.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 May '11 22:23
    Solar is too expensive (at the moment). Wind doesn't produce constant power.
    That's dated information re solar power. It's made some huge strides over the past few years, and the tax breaks for installation as well as the experiments in various municipalities to pay for the installation and then allow the owner to pay it off in installments with their property taxes have expanded the possibilities greatly.

It's still fresh however. The first solar panel produced by automated manufacturing rolled off the lines about a decade ago.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 May '11 22:44
    ...and?
    and... it establishes that wind can be a major component of energy production for the future.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 May '11 22:482 edits
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    That's dated information re solar power. It's made some huge strides over the past few years, and the tax breaks for installation as well as the experiments in various municipalities to pay for the installation and then allow the owner to pay it off in installments with their property taxes have expanded the possibilities greatly.

It's still fresh however ...[text shortened]... irst solar panel produced by automated manufacturing rolled off the lines about a decade ago.
    the biggest problem with solar panels is space. I'd love to install solar panels in my yard. With the tax breaks and energy savings it would pay for itself in a few years. But you need a large patch of open land unobstructed by trees and I don't have that.

What would really work is covering the roofs of apartment buildings in big cities with solar panels.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '11 23:30
    Deserts. The Sahara should be a giant solar power plant.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 May '11 23:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    and have power lines running under the Med, perhaps?
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    31 May '11 05:551 edit
    and have power lines running under the Med, perhaps?
    You could bounce the energy around the globe using microwave links and satellites. Yes it would be inefficient, but you would have an over abundance of solar energy to tap!
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    31 May '11 07:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Finally, an industrialized country with a sensible energy policy. And this with a Center-Right government! Details here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43214183/ns/business-oil_and_energy/

Some highlights:

"We want the electricity of the future to be safe, reliable and economically viable," Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters ...[text shortened]... heme was scrapped and cleaner more environmentally friendly measures put in its place.
    They'll just continue to buy nuke generated power from France.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 10:30
    No, it isn't. It is between using our resources to build and maintain (at huge cost and substantial risk) nuclear power plants or using those resources to develop more efficient and less dangerous alternatives.
    The nuclear plants in Germany are already built. Shutting them down early results in a much higher cost per unit over all because the economics of nuclear include a very high construction cost which gets paid off over time. Shutting down a nuclear plant sooner than necessary is more expensive than keeping it running.

I don't know how you calculate efficiency. I don' think it even makes sense in this context. Please explain for example how solar is 'more efficient' than nuclear.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '11 10:32
    Yeah, it's real "clean" in Northern Japan these days ...........................
    Yes it is. Its a lot cleaner than it would have been if they had been using coal power instead of nuclear. Its a lot cleaner than most parts of China that is heavily dependent on coal.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    31 May '11 10:35
    Originally posted by Kunsoo

It's still fresh however ...[text shortened]... irst solar panel produced by automated manufacturing rolled off the lines about a decade ago.
    Not really. It's still a lot more expensive to build a solar plant to generate power than to build a coal plant. That's not to say solar power is useless, just that its use is situational at the moment.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    31 May '11 10:37
    and... it establishes that wind can be a major component of energy production for the future.
    A major component, yes. The major component, no.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 May '11 10:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Transporting energy long distances leads to losses. I've heard conflicting reports about the importance of these. Some say they are a big deterrent to a project like that, others say that it's not that bad.

Anyone knows a bit more about this (beyond wiki)?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree