1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 19:41
    Are those measures similar to the ones that have brought prosperity to countries like Ireland, Portugal and Greece?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 19:43
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Are those measures similar to the ones that have brought prosperity to countries like Ireland, Portugal and Greece?
    No.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 19:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No.
    Could Ireland, Greece and Portugal adopt these measures and greatly increase their economic status?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 19:50
    Could Ireland, Greece and Portugal adopt these measures and greatly increase their economic status?
    Yes.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 19:52
    Well then, what are these unpopular measures that will bring about economic turn arounds for the world's ailing economies!?!
  6. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 19:56
    Well then, what are these unpopular measures that will bring about economic turn arounds for the world's ailing economies!?!
    Among other things they should raise taxes for higher incomes and lower taxes for low incomes. This will improve consumer demand, boost the economy and create jobs.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:04
    You are saying that in places like Greece and Ireland they do not have progressive tax systems?

I know in the US we have a progressive tax system, nearly half of all Americans do not pay a Federal Income tax and of the half that don't many actually receive money from the government in the form of a tax refund. Between earned income credits and credits for things like having children people in the US actually receive money from the Federal government instead of paying taxes.

I get what you are saying and to a certain extent I agree. I see nothing wrong with increasing tax rates when they are as low as they are in the US. I see nothing wrong with closing loop holes. I also see nothing wrong with doing away with all forms of welfare, corporate or individual.

Countries can't tax their way into have a good economy. There must be a balance and more people need to be pulling the cart than riding in the cart. I count politicians as people whoare riding in the cart.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:17
    You are saying that in places like Greece and Ireland they do not have progressive tax systems?

I know in the US we have a progressive tax system, nearly half of all Americans do not pay a Federal Income tax and of the half that don't many actually receive money from the government in the form of a tax refund. Between earned income credits and credits for ...[text shortened]... ng the cart than riding in the cart. I count politicians as people whoare riding in the cart.
    No, I am saying they are not progressive enough.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No, I am saying they are not progressive enough.
    What kind of tax schedule do you imagine.

How do you ensure that the wealthy do not simply leave the country to escape the high taxes?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:22

How do you ensure that the wealthy do not simply leave the country to escape the high taxes?
    I wish these wealthy people really would go to Galt's Gulch. They're like those people who keep threatening suicide for attention but don't have the balls to follow through.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:27
    They don't have to commit suicide, they just have to put their money in off shore accounts.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:28
    They don't have to commit suicide, they just have to put their money in off shore accounts.
    Who cares?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Who cares?
    You do if you are interested in taxing their money to fund your programs.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:30

A top tariff of roughly 70% over ~$100k and a tax-free wedge of about $20k, with a progressively increasing rate in between. Something like that.

People don't leave their home country without a good reason. Especially if the economy is doing well.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Jun '11 20:301 edit
    You do if you are interested in taxing their money to fund your programs.
    I'm interested in taxing their land, not their money. We can always print more money if we need to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree