1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    So it appears you did not really want me to post the information for you were never open to accepting it anyway. Just what I suspected. That is why i asked the question you failed to answer. 😏
    That's not what I said, so stop lying. As a practical matter, I don't waste time viewing YouTubes which can be edited to prove virtually anything. I will look at articles, however, and did look at those links you provided.

I'll believe he's a deserter IF and WHEN there is sufficient evidence to do so. Not gossip, not scuttlebutt, not misinformation.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 01:002 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's not what I said, so stop lying. As a practical matter, I don't waste time viewing YouTubes which can be edited to prove virtually anything. I will look at articles, however, and did look at those links you provided.

I'll believe he's a deserter IF and WHEN there is sufficient evidence to do so. Not gossip, not scuttlebutt, not misinformation.
    You apparently have never been in the military. In accordance with the international rules of war, prisoners of war are required to give their captors only enough information for identification, that is name, rank, serial number, and date of birth.

I was a US Army soldier for twenty years and I know that the general orders and code of conduct we were given stated that when captured to give the enemy only name, rank, serial number, and date of birth. It is obvious from the video that he gave his captors much more information than that. Therefore, he violated those general orders and code of conduct as a soldier of the US Army, unless they have weakened those rules since I retired in 1984.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 01:071 edit
    You apparently have never been in the military. In accordance with the international rules of war, prisoners of war are required to give their captors only enough information for identification, that is name, rank, serial number, and date of birth.

I was a US Army soldier for twenty years and I know that the general orders we were given stated that when ...[text shortened]... ders as a soldier of the US Army, unless they have weakened those rules since I retired in 1984.
    Stop the crap. No POW ever followed those non-existent "general orders". Hogan would have been up against a wall after being repatriated according to your post.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 01:232 edits
    Stop the crap. No POW ever followed those non-existent "general orders". Hogan would have been up against a wall after being repatriated according to your post.
    I looked it up on the internet and it is actually part of the
    Code of Conduct for the United States Military

The Code of Conduct is the same for the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

2. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

3. If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

4. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith in my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and back them up in every way.

5. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

6. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and the United States of America.

http://www.madracki.com/usarmyhawk/generalorders.html

It has been over 30 years since I retired and I still remember that part. We were given the General Orders and the Code of Conduct at the same time and I did not remember they were not the same.

It also appear to me that Bowe Bergdahl's statements were disloyal to his country.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 01:39
    I looked it up on the internet and it is actually part of the
    Code of Conduct for the United States Military

The Code of Conduct is the same for the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

2. I will ...[text shortened]... l Orders and the Code of Conduct at the same time and I did not remember they were not the same.
    The caveat is " I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability."

If you're looking at the possibility of being beheaded, your ability to not give further information is somewhat limited.

In any event, Bergdahl has not been charged with any misconduct relating to the time he was a prisoner. He claims and some reports indicate, that he tried to escape many times.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 01:531 edit
    The caveat is " I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability."

If you're looking at the possibility of being beheaded, your ability to not give further information is somewhat limited.

In any event, Bergdahl has not been charged with any misconduct relating to the time he was a prisoner. He claims and some reports indicate, that he tried to escape many times.
    I believe you are wrong. If you would look at the last video I posted on the charges against Bergdahl, yoo will hear that he was charged with one count of desertion under Article 85 and one count of misbehavior before the enemy under Article 99 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 02:08
    I believe you are wrong. If you would look at the last video I posted on the charges against Bergdahl, yoo will hear that he was charged with one count of desertion under Article 85 and [b]one count of misbehavior before the enemy under Article 99 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.[/b]
    I'm aware of what he was charged with and neither count has anything to do with his conduct as a prisoner. That would be covered by Articles 104 and 105 of the UCMJ.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 02:272 edits
    I'm aware of what he was charged with and neither count has anything to do with his conduct as a prisoner. That would be covered by Articles 104 and 105 of the UCMJ.
    Article 4 of the Code of Conduct includes the statement "I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades."

Article 5 of the Code of Conduct includes the statement "I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

His comrades say that 6 soldiers were killed while out looking for him. The fact that he was charged with misbehavior before the enemy could also include what he did while a prisoner. I can't say for sure since the details are not given. But it appears to me that if he does not get a court martial, then some funny business is going on.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 02:551 edit
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 18:05
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Would you happen to consider MSNBC to be left wing?
    I can't get MSNBC over here, so I can't give a definitive answer to that, but given that M$ is part of its name (and yes, with that meaning) - I doubt it. It might look left-wing to the severely right-shifted political spectrum of the USA, but in reality, it's probably middle-right at most.
    But again, I haven't seen it, so in this(!) case, I'm only guessing.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 22:27
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I can't get MSNBC over here, so I can't give a definitive answer to that, but given that M$ is part of its name (and yes, with that meaning) - I doubt it. It might look left-wing to the severely right-shifted political spectrum of the USA, but in reality, it's probably middle-right at most.
    But again, I haven't seen it, so in this(!) case, I'm only guessing.
    If that is the case then according to you, we don't have any left-wing media. I am sure glad I don't live in your country. 😏
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 02:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/now-i-get-it-gitmo-guantanamo-bay-president-obama-127264141618.html

President Obama has less than a year and a half before his time in office comes to an end. What’s lingering on his to-do list? Closing the U.S. military prison at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba. Guantanamo, or Gitmo as it is often called, which come ...[text shortened]... estion of what to do with Gitmo, at least after watching this video you can say, “Now I get it.”
    It's been suggested here that my intellect is lacking, so let me ask a simple question in keeping with my mediocre mentality. America has many prisons, so why is there such strong resistance to closing this one?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 22:17
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's been suggested here that my intellect is lacking, so let me ask a simple question in keeping with my mediocre mentality. America has many prisons, so why is there such strong resistance to closing this one?
    Maybe it is because these are foreign terrorists and are known as the worst of the worst. 😏
  14. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 04:17
    Maybe it is because these are foreign terrorists and are known as the worst of the worst. 😏
    So...one of America's supermax prisons, such as the one in Colorado is not secure enough for these terrorists? I don't believe that. I think Gitmo could be closed, and other prisons would do just as well.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 05:17
    Originally posted by bill718
    So...one of America's supermax prisons, such as the one in Colorado is not secure enough for these terrorists? I don't believe that. I think Gitmo could be closed, and other prisons would do just as well.
    Prisons is the USA are for our citizens, who have the rights afforded to citizens of the USA. Gitmo is for foreign terrorist, who do not have the rights as citizens of the USA.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree