Give the Poor food or money?

Give the Poor food or money?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
25 Mar 13

Originally posted by moon1969
That would be so much more expensive and bureaucratic, though in general such as with food warehouses I think it would ok to give food in addition ot monetary help.

The original post just comes idiotic and naive, however. Sorry.
You are high. No it wouldn't. It would be a lot cheaper to have the government simply buy the food and have people come pick it up.

Why do libs think that government supplied food is more expensive, but government supplied healthcare is less expensive. Pathetic.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
25 Mar 13

Originally posted by Eladar
You are high. No it wouldn't. It would be a lot cheaper to have the government simply buy the food and have people come pick it up.

Why do libs think that government supplied food is more expensive, but government supplied healthcare is less expensive. Pathetic.
I don't think it matters what is given away. If it becomes perceived as an entitlement, it is bound to attract people on the border of the standard to it, and to forgo productive work. Whatever the standard of poverty is, if a person can get within a couple of thousand dollars of it via welfare, it doesn't seem to require high level math to determine that all that work is just for the difference between welfare and work. Many find that they can work under that table, collect welfare, and be way ahead of the game.

It is remarkable that the people to first propose negative income taxes were Milton Friedman and Henry Hazlett. Both saw their mistake and repudiated the idea. The problem with defining people as poor is that they seldom stay poor, and sometimes those defined as poor by income, are not poor as determined by assets.

Your point on health care vs. food is right on, and food is arguably more vital to survival than health care. You can get all the free surgery and medicine in the world, and still starve to death.

Government supplied food is often so bad as to remain unused even by people in very poor circumstances. I've seen porches full of government canned goods, cereal and cheese that people said they wouldn't feed to their dog.

The trick is to give the help required, without enabling sloth, or rewarding gaming the system.

K

Moves
26 Mar 13

Hey I got an idea instead of giving the poor food or money how about giving them......

A job?

K

Germany

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
Hey I got an idea instead of giving the poor food or money how about giving them......

A job?
Who do you think is reponsible for giving the poor jobs?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Someone who needs their labor. Trouble is, at the very bottom of the labor market there is all kinds of monkeying around with the market Which hinders the hiring of marginally productive workers who may well be a lot more productive later on.

E

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Not the government. As soon as the government asks people to do a bit of work to get a check, people complain and call it a form of abuse.

E

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by normbenign
Government supplied food is often so bad as to remain unused even by people in very poor circumstances. I've seen porches full of government canned goods, cereal and cheese that people said they wouldn't feed to their dog.

The trick is to give the help required, without enabling sloth, or rewarding gaming the system.
I wonder if people who are literally starving to death would turn their noses up to the government's food? If the government food is so bad, then perhaps it would give people a reason to get a job, but keep them alive and kicking until they do.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Mar 13

Not the government. As soon as the government asks people to do a bit of work to get a check, people complain and call it a form of abuse.
They do? I don't see the problem with it.

E

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by kevcvs57
You could combine the two and call it, oh I dunno, a Workhouse?
Kev does.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Mar 13

In many countries government is the largest employer.

E

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
In many countries government is the largest employer.
But do they require work to receive assistance?

If so, then it is little different than working for your lord on the manor.

P

Moves
26 Mar 13

Perhaps some, others sell it for other things. Those other things include things like alcohol, drugs and sex.
Assuming that a significant number of those poor enough to qualify for food stamps sell them for alcohol, drugs and sex says everything about YOU and nothing about the vast numbers who need this assistance. Shame on you.

Back in the 1960's then then mayor of Newberg, NY claimed that the vast number of those recieving assitance in his impoverished city were using the help to buy drugs, etc. A huge and expensive investigation was launched. They found something like two people who might have been abusing the system.

If you want to live in a country with little government and no social services, move to Somalia.

P

Moves
26 Mar 13

Here's a thought. Let's stop giving handouts to those who have quite a bit of wealth and are not going hungry and homeless: big agriculture, oil companies, etc.

E

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by Phranny
Assuming that a significant number of those poor enough to qualify for food stamps sell them for alcohol, drugs and sex says everything about YOU and nothing about the vast numbers who need this assistance. Shame on you.

Back in the 1960's then then mayor of Newberg, NY claimed that the vast number of those recieving assitance in his impoverished city we ...[text shortened]... f you want to live in a country with little government and no social services, move to Somalia.
The fact that you are unwilling to admit that people abuse the system as I've described speaks volumes about you. As long as people like you are in charge, people will be enabled to continue milking the government for all the government is willing to give.

E

Moves
26 Mar 13

Originally posted by Phranny
Here's a thought. Let's stop giving handouts to those who have quite a bit of wealth and are not going hungry and homeless: big agriculture, oil companies, etc.
Great idea. I'm all for doing away with all welfare and quit using the power of the government to transfer wealth to anyone.