1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 20:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    GM is NOT FOLDING. They are filing for Chapter 11; that is reorganization. GM is not ceasing to do business. They may come out of this eventually stronger than ever. Continental Airlines, Delta, United and many other airlines have, at one point or another, went into Chapter 11.

Some dealerships may close, but the average consumer will barely notice the difference.
    The difference with the GM reorganization is that it has been virtually nationalized. Between labor and government they have a huge controlling interest.

It appears to me that GM becomes the make work program of this recession/depression like those of Hoover and Roosevelt.

Ford may well emerge as the big winner, if the overall economy is able to recover from the massive inflation which will inevitably follow the monetization of debt.

On the dealerships closing, I see this as a really big mistake. They cost the parent company nothing, being stores owned and operated privately. They will likely remain in business and provide entree into areas by foreign manufacturers. The clientelle is likely more loyal to the dealer than to the brand he sold and serviced, so when a country Chevy dealer becomes a Kia dealer, the hole gets deeper for GM.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 22:09
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Do you think a company has to be democratic?
    I think that democracy has replaced more authoritarian models of governing in nations -- and should partially or wholly replace the corporate hierarchy in publicly traded companies. The only company I have heard of on this path to any degree is WL Gore, and I don't think there is momentum or a trend.

But I think democracy gives such advantages on balance that, yes, the transformation will happen one day.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 23:46
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    You found the electric car documentary shocking? 🙂
    😀😛😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree