1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 16:201 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, for example, the probability that you are both a kitten and not a kitten will never approach one, no matter how long you wait.
    Yes, they do. Those two possibilities cannot exist simultaneously. However, if we waited an infinite period of time, at some point, my DNA would mutate to the point of turning me into a kitten or some being would develop the technology to turn me into a kitten. If that is impossible, then it is not a "possible outcome" for purposes of my original statement.

As for my not being a kitten, the probability that this is the case now is probably something like 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999 (the other possibility being that I am a kitten having an awesome hallucination or dream). Even if I am a kitten, the probably of my not being a kitten at some point given an infinite period of time is also one.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 16:30
    It is axiomatic that anyone who disagrees with me is a goosesteppin', Heil Hitlerin' Nazi swine.
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 16:37
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    It is axiomatic that anyone who disagrees with me is a goosesteppin', Heil Hitlerin' Nazi swine.
    I disagree! ....ooops
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 20:40
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Therefore all comparisons to indefensible political regimes must be illicit!
    Clearly, all of Germany didn't anticipate Hitler's regime to go where it went. And Austria did not beg in on the deal, anticipating fighting a war against the rest of the world.

Most comparisons and references to Hitler come with a slippery slope argument. What can happen, and has happened, not that the comparison is making a direct parallel to the Third Reich.

Godwin's law, is no law at all, just an observation by a geek on arguments on the internet. If taken to the extreme, all arguments of comparison would be illicit.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 20:45
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes, they do. Those two possibilities cannot exist simultaneously. However, if we waited an infinite period of time, at some point, my DNA would mutate to the point of turning me into a kitten or some being would develop the technology to turn me into a kitten. If that is impossible, then it is not a "possible outcome" for purposes of my original statement.

...[text shortened]... probably of my not being a kitten at some point given an infinite period of time is also one.
    If someone argued you were a "pussy" does that increase the chances you are a kitten?
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 20:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    ..or you could all gender reassignment, and hope that someone gets your pussy to purr..?!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 21:50

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 21:53
    Nazis are a particularly overused cliche. More obscure examples like Pol Pot stimulate the mind while Nazis just make everyone groan.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 22:13
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Clearly, all of Germany didn't anticipate Hitler's regime to go where it went. And Austria did not beg in on the deal, anticipating fighting a war against the rest of the world.
    At a dinner party I attended last night, one of the guests remarked: "The Austrians have pulled off a superb propagranda coup in persuading the world that Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian."
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 02:27
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's not like we actually learn anything from history anyway.
    The history of the human race seems to agree with you.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 02:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is that why you compared John McCain to a Nazi for us a while back?
    I don't recall that. I only recall comparing Nazis to progressives, but then McCain is a self proclaimed progressive, so there ya go!! 😵
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 02:30
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    At a dinner party I attended last night, one of the guests remarked: "The Austrians have pulled off a superb propagranda coup in persuading the world that Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian."
    ...and that Arnold Schwarzenegger was American?
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 02:43
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Sure. But a lot of bad things start out benignly. Who knew Hitler would do what he did?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 03:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 04:28
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Sure. But a lot of bad things start out benignly. Who knew Hitler would do what he did?
    The better question becomes, when they found out why did they not rebel?

It is an example of what a strong centralized government can accomplish and should humble us all. Essentially, with such a government any evil can be carried out at a whim and with no opposition of significance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree