1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 07:41
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

This observation is frequently used to bring discussion to a halt:
    http://xkcd.com/261/

One way to get around this problem is to use an alternative regime for purposes of comparison, eg. to liken the excesses of a small-town mayor to the enormities of Pol Pot. However, it since all fascist regimes are functionally analogous to Nazi Germany, shouldn't all such comparisons be subject to Godwin's Law?
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 09:48
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

One way to get around this problem is to use an alternative regime for purposes of comparison, eg. to liken the excesses of a small-town mayor to t ...[text shortened]... onally analogous to Nazi Germany, shouldn't all such comparisons be subject to Godwin's Law?
    I think most people treat Godwin's Law as referring implicitly to all indefensible political regimes.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 09:50
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I think most people treat Godwin's Law as referring implicitly to all indefensible political regimes.
    Therefore all comparisons to indefensible political regimes must be illicit!
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 11:45

One way to get around this problem is to use an alternative regime for purposes of comparison, eg. to liken the excesses of a small-town mayor to t ...[text shortened]... onally analogous to Nazi Germany, shouldn't all such comparisons be subject to Godwin's Law?
    The assumption in Godwin's law is that all comparisons to the Nazis, or Hitler, are either unjustified or overkill. It seems to me that it is most frequently invoked by people who are too lazy to deflect the comparison by other means.

Perhaps a new law is called for (Penfold's law?) which states that: As online discussions involving comparisons to Hitler grow longer, the probability of Godwin's law being invoked approaches 1.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:13
    Only nazis bring up Godwin's Law.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    This is the sort of thing a nazi would say about nazis. No doubt you would say Arbeit macht frei as well
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The assumption in Godwin's law is that all comparisons to the Nazis, or Hitler, are either unjustified or overkill. It seems to me that it is most frequently invoked by people who are too lazy to deflect the comparison by other means.

Perhaps a new law is called for (Penfold's law?) which states that: As online discussions involving comparisons to Hitler grow longer, the probability of Godwin's law being invoked approaches 1.
    Who is Penfold?

Incidentally, as anything grows longer, the possibility of all possible outcomes approaches one.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:32

From my perspecitve, Godwin's Law is a lazy man's way of deflecting any comparison to despotic regimes like the Nazis.

History should be used to learn about where we are headed, since there is nothing new under the sun. Without it, we are doomed to repeat it, as often is the case.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:38
    No, only people who bring up that only nazis bring up Godwin's law are actually nazis.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    From my perspecitve, Godwin's Law is a lazy man's way of deflecting any comparison to despotic regimes like the Nazis.

History should be used to learn about where we are headed, since there is nothing new under the sun. Without it, we are doomed to repeat it, as often is the case.
    It's not like we actually learn anything from history anyway.
  11. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:071 edit

I would think that as online discussion grows longer, the probability that any topic X will be brought up approaches 1. This is a version of the infinite number of monkeys hypothesis.

It would be more interesting if the probability approached 0.587 for instance - THAT would be truly fascinating.

EDIT: sorry, sh76 already pointed this out.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    Who is Penfold?

Incidentally, as anything grows longer, the possibility of all possible outcomes approaches one.
    Umm, no.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Is that why you compared John McCain to a Nazi for us a while back?
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:36
    Umm, no.
    Well, I certainly can't argue with that.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 16:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    Well, I certainly can't argue with that.
    Well, for example, the probability that you are both a kitten and not a kitten will never approach one, no matter how long you wait.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree