1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 08:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    The better question becomes, when they found out why did they not rebel?

It is an example of what a strong centralized government can accomplish and should humble us all. Essentially, with such a government any evil can be carried out at a whim and with no opposition of significance.
    Don't hijack the thread you heel-clicking brownshirts.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Dec '12 08:48
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    A bluegrass evergreen:'Heel Clickin' Brownshirts'.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 01:50
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Why does it bother progressives so to bring up the Nazis?
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 02:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why does it bother progressives so to bring up the Nazis?
    Doesn't bother me. Nazis are everywhere, under every rock. In the precambrian days fish Nazis evolved to become amphibian Nazis, and eventually there came flying Nazis and Nazi flowers and fungi. Nazis are a fact of life. I say when life gives you Nazis, make Nazi-ade.

Nowadays they're called Republicans, though. 😉
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 08:46
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Sure. But a lot of bad things start out benignly. Who knew Hitler would do what he did?
    Sorry Norm I must have missed the Nazi's 'benign' phase, is that where you got the inspiration for the handle🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 18:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 21:261 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm reminded of a thread I started about a book called "Hitler's Beneficiaries". The book was written by Gotz Aly, a German historian. In it he attempts to make the connection that the German people were bought off by Hitler through his progressive Nanny state to look the other way when it came to his policies of abject evil.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 20:09
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The assumption in Godwin's law is that all comparisons to the Nazis, or Hitler, are either unjustified or overkill. It seems to me that it is most frequently invoked by people who are too lazy to deflect the comparison by other means.

Perhaps a new law is called for (Penfold's law?) which states that: As online discussions involving comparisons to Hitler grow longer, the probability of Godwin's law being invoked approaches 1.
    Or perhaps there's just a great many debates on regimes which are inherently crap and very fascist-esque in their behaviour.

The people who scream blue murder about Godwin's law (and defer to it most) are generally right-wing, pro-life, anti-abortionist, pro-war, Christian bastards.

God-awful people, who, ironically, could do with a bit of exterminating.
    The sort of people you tend to find online... but actually never really meet in real life... because they'd be chased out of a pub, thrown from a window or puked out into a bucket.

Jist sayin'...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree