1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 16:171 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    No, I said you are a Marxist and that you can't see this as evil because of your Marxist beliefs.
    I'm hardly a "Marxist". In fact, I'm rather indifferent to what economic system a society puts in place so long as it is democratically selected and doesn't violate Natural Rights (I admit I do prefer one which doesn't lead to mass deprivation and suffering like laissez faire historically did, however).

Your threshold of "evil" is appallingly low if you find minor subsidies to low income people "evil". Do you also find Food Stamps and unemployment insurance to be "evil"? How about Senior Citizen discounts? Lower prices for children at movies?

That's a lot of "evil"!
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 16:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm hardly a "Marxist". In fact, I'm rather indifferent to what economic system a society puts in place so long as it is democratically selected and doesn't violate Natural Rights (I admit I do prefer one which doesn't lead to mass deprivation and suffering like laissez faire historically did, however).

Your threshold of "evil" is appalling ...[text shortened]... counts? Lower prices for children at movies?

That's a lot of "evil"!
    OK, I call is Marxism, you call it Natural Rights, so be it.

Taking money away from certain people who can afford cell phones so that others can afford cell phones is a very narrow re-distribution of wealth which fattens the pockets of cell pone companies.

You are blinded by your belief in what youcall 'Natural Rights' and can't see the evil of this kind of practice.

I'll let you have the last words with your next post. I tire of your games.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 16:52
    OK, I call is Marxism, you call it Natural Rights, so be it.

Taking money away from certain people who can afford cell phones so that others can afford cell phones is a very narrow re-distribution of wealth which fattens the pockets of cell pone companies.

You are blinded by your belief in what youcall 'Natural Rights' and can't see the evil of this k ...[text shortened]... practice.

I'll let you have the last words with your next post. I tire of your games.
    Redistribution of money is not the same as redistribution of wealth. Also, nobody owes the rich tax free cell phones.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Redistribution of money is not the same as redistribution of wealth. Also, nobody owes the rich tax free cell phones.
    Everyone who has a cell phone and pays for it without government assistance is rich?

I really don't think you see the flip side on this thing. Who do you think is profiting from this program? True, it does make the government bigger and that is attractive to people like you, but it is a program designed to make the rich richer.

The middle class is being milked so that the poor can have cell phones and the rich cell phone company owners richer by having more customers.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:011 edit
    Everyone who has a cell phone and pays for it without government assistance is rich?

I really don't think you see the flip side on this thing. Who do you think is profiting from this program? True, it does make the government bigger and that is attractive to people like you, but it is a program designed to make the rich richer.

The middle class is bei ...[text shortened]... or can have cell phones and the rich cell phone company owners richer by having more customers.
    The amounts are tiny. Stop crying; I don't mind paying a few extra pennies a month so that more people can afford a cell phone.

Do you also get furious if a movie theater lets kids and Seniors in at a reduced price?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:031 edit
    You mean:

The amounts are tiny. Stop crying; I don't mind paying a few extra pennies a month so that cell phone companies can make more money from more customers.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:05
    fixed.
    I think there's a Forum rule about deliberately altering a prior post.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:08

The middle class is bei ...[text shortened]... or can have cell phones and the rich cell phone company owners richer by having more customers.
    I'm not particularly in favor of this cell phone thing. I just like provoking people who spew popular memes instead of thinking for themselves.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:08
    OK, I'll go back and take it out of quotes and simply reword for the proper flip side of your statement.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:10
    I'm not particularly in favor of this cell phone thing. I just like provoking people who spew popular memes instead of thinking for themselves.
    Thinking for themselves? Who else is saying what I'm saying? Perhaps I missed that story or thread.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:12
    OK, I'll go back and take it out of quotes and simply reword for the proper flip side of your statement.
    I really don't care what you do though it would be nice since you are venting so much outrage over the cell phone thing to get a response regarding Senior discounts and cheaper ticket prices for children. Surely there's very little difference between those things and the Lifeline cell phone program - other users are subsidizing lower prices for certain groups in all cases.

Personally I think it's a good program with possible externalities:

Cell phones can clearly give a leg up to those who have fallen on hard times; unlike a landline phone, a cell phone can be used in an emergency outside the home, and can make the unemployed much more accessible to a potential employer. With 90-percent of the population having at least one cell phone, subsidizing the cost of the needy's service isn't even about leveling the playing field; it's just about getting those folks on the field to begin with.

http://www.switched.com/2009/06/20/lifeline-program-providing-subsidized-cell-phones-for-the-poor/
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:14
    Thinking for themselves? Who else is saying what I'm saying? Perhaps I missed that story or thread.
    You know you're not the only one to accuse people of being Marxists right?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:15
    I take it that if you've got your panties in a wad because I used the term Marxist you really don't have much to say on the subject.

Nice to know that this is what was concerning you.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:24
    I take it that if you've got your panties in a wad because I used the term Marxist you really don't have much to say on the subject.

Nice to know that this is what was concerning you.
    Sure thing, you racist teabagger. Two can play this game 😉
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 17:25
    Well wait a minute. What's wrong with being a Marxist, anyway? In fact, what would be wrong with being a redneck Marxist?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree