1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 14:20
    Most people are likely to agree that the rise of Hitler and the consequent Second World War were the worst things that happened during the twentieth century (and possibly in all history). But what was the greatest disaster that happened in world history since the end of World War II? By "greatest disaster", I mean the event or set of events that had the most negative consequences overall for human life, welfare and happiness.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 14:24
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Most people are likely to agree that the rise of Hitler and the consequent Second World War were the worst things that happened during the twentieth century (and possibly in all history). But what was the greatest disaster that happened in world history since the end of World War II? By "greatest disaster", I mean the event or set of events that had the most negative consequences overall for human life, welfare and happiness.
    The election of Ronald Reagan.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 14:30
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Maybe the AIDS epidemic in Africa?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:00
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well. Possible thread ender, this.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well. Possible thread ender, this.
    Wrong!!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:41
    A politically correct answer to be sure.

However, consider the following. Just looking at the US, it appears that about half a million people die every year in the US from cancer. Compare that to a little over half a million deaths in the US that have been reported since the outbreak of the disease.

There is no comparison. In fact, it is estimated that about 1 in 3 people will have cancer at some point in their lives.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The election of Ronald Reagan.
    Hilarious!!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    However, consider the following. Just looking at the US, it appears that about half a million people die every year in the US from cancer. Compare that to a little over half a million deaths in the US that have been reported since the outbreak of the disease.
    Isn't this thread about "the world" rather than "the U.S."?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:51
    What definition of "politically correct" are you using when you apply it to the suggestion that the AIDS epidemic in Africa is perhaps the greatest disaster in the world since 1945?
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 15:54

There is no comparison. In fact, it is estimated that about 1 in 3 people will have cancer at some point in their lives.
    Politically correct? Whatever dude.

Cancer has been an ongoing affliction since long before the end of World War II, so I don't think you're keeping within the bounds of the OP.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 16:092 edits
    Politically correct? Whatever dude.

Cancer has been an ongoing affliction since long before the end of World War II, so I don't think you're keeping within the bounds of the OP.
    Has cancer always been 1 in 3 people?

From what I have read, cancer is most prevalent in well developed nations and almost absent in the third world. This can be attributed to several things. Perhaps it is because people in the well developed nations live longer, thus increasing their chances to obtain cancer. Or perhaps it is due to better medical coverage in the well developed nations who are able to diagnose this illness as where in the third world it does not get diagnosed. However, another way to see this is that in the name of consumerism, corporate America toys with our foods to the point of killing us. After all, shelf life and appearance when it comes to food is the name of the game. It's all about the money!! I think the 20th century has been the beginnning of this trend.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 16:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    What definition of "politically correct" are you using when you apply it to the suggestion that the AIDS epidemic in Africa is perhaps the greatest disaster in the world since 1945?
    Are you forgetting the murder of 1/3 of Cambodia's citizens by Pol Pot? He was just as evil or more so than Hitler. Also, the pogroms of the 1968 Chinese 'cultural' revolution, killing whole villages, killing anyone who wore glasses since they would have been considered an intellectual.

Then there is the central hypocrisy of the US where a half million people die each year for tobacco and they put people in jail for smoking pot which I can assure you has killed MAYBE 10 people in the last 20 years. So considering the last 20 years, that adds up to 10 million people who died as a result of smoking tobacco.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 16:13
    [b]Politically correct? Whatever dude.
    Like it or not, the AIDS epidemic is politically charged. You you political activist groups, mostly within the gay community, which elevate this illness above all else. In addition, it is a disease that is mostly attributed to behavior, unless you are getting a blood transfusion. And lets be honest here, the gay community accounts for well over half the AIDS cases even though they are only about 5% of the population.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 16:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are you forgetting the murder of 1/3 of Cambodia's citizens by Pol Pot? He was just as evil or more so than Hitler.
    No. If you want to propose that, fine. But I don't see the relevance of whether or not you think I am "forgetting" something.

I wouldn't vote for the hypocrisy of the U.S. pot laws as being the worst disaster in the world since 1945.
  15. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 16:191 edit
    And lets be honest here, the gay community accounts for well over half the AIDS cases even though they are only about 5% of the population.
    Regardless of the relevance of that statistic to the matter at hand, this is anyway not the case in Africa, where heterosexual transmission is the main route to infection.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree