1. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 15:041 edit
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Largely thanks to fossil fuels, but if other sources come along, let their viability stand on their own un-subsidised, legs.
    Why should alternatives be unsubsidized while fossil fuels enjoy massive subsidies?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 15:10
    Frankly if there are alternatives and the goobermint regulated against them, free market resilience would see them grow.
    The problem is that the 'free market' not only doesn't really exist, but it doesn't take into account externalities.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 15:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why should alternatives be unsubsidized while fossil fuels enjoy massive subsidies?
    To be fair to Wajoma, he seems to also argue abolishing these subsidies.

However, he seems to have some difficulty coming to terms with the concept of externalities.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 15:36
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    uhuh, and may i ask who gets this newly "inhabitable land"? will it be a "first come, first served"? will the russians and canadians be cool with millions of displaced chinese settling at the north pole?

do you also believe it will be a sudden trade? 1 square kilometer gets flooded on Monday and 2 sq km of Artica gets prime real estate on wednesday? o ...[text shortened]... e a killing. all those scientists living paycheck to paycheck because they didn't become whores.
    🙄🙄🙄

A nasty temperament and lack of reading comprehension, combined with inadequate logical reasoning skills make for a poor, though amusing, combination.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 08:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    🙄🙄🙄

A nasty temperament and lack of reading comprehension, combined with inadequate logical reasoning skills make for a poor, though amusing, combination.
    this coming from the guy who said that it might be ok if millions of indians and chinese get displaced because we might get equal or more land in arctica (ie middle of the freakin ocean).

i think i will recover from this sick burn. somehow.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 09:02
    And I'll bring it back a 3rd time to the statement I was addressing i.e.

"Humans do not adapt well to change."

Humans far surpass any other being, insect or animal in adapting to live in any environment this world (or others) can throw at us. Largely thanks to fossil fuels, but if other sources come along, let their viability stand on their own un-sub ...[text shortened]... hem grow.

Edit: Please do not edit your post again, let your foot in mouth supremacy live on.
    if the environment is stable we can adapt to it. over hundreds of years. when a mini ice age displaced the eastern tribes, the roman empire collapsed and the dark ages came.

also, "humans" is different than "human civilization". humans will exist in some form for a while now despite global warming. human civilization will collapse long before our extinction.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 11:14
    I mentioned cockroaches because they are one of the insects that has proven capable of surviving almost anywhere on earth and have adapted well to human environments. Why you think this has anything to do with the 'left' is beyond me.

[b]Take a look around you twhitehead, everything has been shaped, transported, produced from, made possible by fossil f ...[text shortened]... s has nothing to do with the discussion doesn't win the argument, it just makes you look a fool.
    People need to open their eyes to the obvious. Everything that makes your life better has fossil fuel as an aspect of it, you appear to be arguing for less of it and that it should cost more. If you feel strongly about it by all means follow your principles, the problem is when you folk start talking about forcing your ideals on others. You could start by recycling your computer, and sparing us your whining, At every step of it's manufacture there is fossil fuel, whether as energy or as part of it's physical make up.

Yes we've all heard the cockroach stories, living without a head, legs still flailing after half a can of fly spray, supposedly being the only survivors of a nuclear holocaust etc. But your point about them finding a home in human environments has kind backfired, the only way a cockroach survives the arctic is by sheltering in an environment created by man. If anything you prove my point.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 11:26
    The problem is that the 'free market' not only doesn't really exist, but it doesn't take into account externalities.
    Yeah right 'externalities' That's where person 'X' owes person 'Y' 'Z' amount of dollars as determined by person 'W' who would like to clip the ticket as the money goes through. The who, what and wherefores of 'X' 'Y' and 'Z' is a matter of voodoo, but 'W' is the guy with a franchise on force and threats of force. Followers of this religion get all het up when other folk see through the sham same as extreme god-botherers do with other religions.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 12:04
    People need to open their eyes to the obvious.
    Which people do you believe have their eyes closed to the obvious.

Everything that makes your life better has fossil fuel as an aspect of it,
    I know.

you appear to be arguing for less of it and that it should cost more.
    I bet you can't quote me on that. You are imagining things.

If you feel strongly about it by all means follow your principles, the problem is when you folk start talking about forcing your ideals on others.
    Again, you clearly aren't talking about me. Take your gripe to whoever you feel is forcing ideas on you.

You could start by recycling your computer, and sparing us your whining,
    Whining? When did I whine?

At every step of it's manufacture there is fossil fuel, whether as energy or as part of it's physical make up.
    And?

It would appear you are having an argument with someone not here.

But your point about them finding a home in human environments has kind backfired, the only way a cockroach survives the arctic is by sheltering in an environment created by man.
    No, my point didn't back fire at all. You just didn't want to get it.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 12:06
    People need to open their eyes to the obvious. Everything that makes your life better has fossil fuel as an aspect of it, you appear to be arguing for less of it and that it should cost more. If you feel strongly about it by all means follow your principles, the problem is when you folk start talking about forcing your ideals on others. You could start by r ...[text shortened]... s the arctic is by sheltering in an environment created by man. If anything you prove my point.
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/changing-climate-10-years-after-inconvenient-truth

I love the true believers. In the story it says the claim of more hurricanes hasn't happened yet.

When the number goes up, and it will, they will say see we were right.

Look at all of this flooding from global warming, Louisiama never flooded due to hurricanes before global warming.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree