Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    16 Jan '17 04:082 edits
    I would like to celebrate MLK day by talking about his close friend, Jackie Robinson.

    It has been said that Jackie Robinson had as much to do with the progress of civil rights as MLK himself. For you see, baseball had been a big influence of the culture during that time, and Jackie was the first black to be allowed to play in MLB. Before accepting the role, the owner of the Dodgers, Branch Rickie, took Robinson aside and made him understand what confronted him. He would be verbally and physically assaulted. He would receive death threats for himself and his family. He would be the focal point for every racist group in America and it would probably continue for the tenure of his MLB career. Branch Rickie then added, that he must take it and not fight back in any way, at least for the first few years or the project would have to come to an end.

    And that is exactly what happened, and exactly what he did. America saw his class, his dignity, and the fact that he was the best player on the team, if not in all of MLB, and it won over converts. More than one of the players on the team and around the team, including fans, said that Jackie Robinson made them better people as he helped them overcome racism.

    Interestingly, Jackie Robinson was also a Republican, for he thought that the doctrine of self help was exactly what the black community needed to hear. Of course, he was not a partisan shill. In fact, he did not like Barry Goldwater in the least.

    “I’m a black man first,” he once calmly stated, while appearing on a 1968 television program, “an American second, and then I will support a political party—third.”


    Like the vast majority of black Republicans in 1964, Robinson vehemently opposed Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater. That year, he chaired a chapter of “Republicans for Johnson” and likened black Goldwater supporters to racial sellouts and “Uncle Toms.” But his rejection of Goldwater did not affect his affiliation—in fact, he remained a Republican, and in July 1964 he helped found the National Negro Republican Assembly, a national black Republican protest organization that grew out of the nightmarish experience of black Republicans at the 1964 Republican National Convention at the Cow Palace in San Francisco

    So the next time someone tries to sell you the notion that all Republicans are racists via their mindless and toxic partisan drivil, tell them this. In fact, Hillary once referred to herself as a "Goldwater girl".

    Go figure.
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    281453
    16 Jan '17 04:43
    Screw mlk. He messed up my car radio tody. Was listening to a U2 song today and they superimposed a speech of his. Screw U2 also. Bunch o libtards anyway.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35846
    16 Jan '17 05:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would like to celebrate MLK day by talking about his close friend, Jackie Robinson.

    It has been said that Jackie Robinson had as much to do with the progress of civil rights as MLK himself. For you see, baseball had been a big influence of the culture during that time, and Jackie was the first black to be allowed to play in MLB. Before accepting the rol ...[text shortened]... , tell them this. In fact, Hillary once referred to herself as a "Goldwater girl".

    Go figure.
    More "equivalence" because you can't understand how some Republicans can be upset that Donald Trump insulted John Lewis.

    Even though Jackie Robinson said that he's a black man first, an American second and a member of a political party third, you still purport to hold him up in this mockery of a thread by claiming he was a Republican. Because who cares if he was a black American, right, whodey?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35846
    16 Jan '17 05:39
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    Screw mlk. He messed up my car radio tody. Was listening to a U2 song today and they superimposed a speech of his. Screw U2 also. Bunch o libtards anyway.
    Why don't you buy a sub, then we can care what you think, racist.
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    281453
    16 Jan '17 06:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why don't you buy a sub, then we can care what you think, racist.
    Racist. I voted for Obama. Boy, what a mistake. He's turned the whole country racist. FU.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    16 Jan '17 07:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    More "equivalence" because you can't understand how some Republicans can be upset that Donald Trump insulted John Lewis.

    Even though Jackie Robinson said that he's a black man first, an American second and a member of a political party third, you still purport to hold him up in this mockery of a thread by claiming he was a Republican. Because who cares if he was a black American, right, whodey?
    What a lilting, comely voice you must have in real life, since on here you remind of fingernails aggressively scraped down a chalkboard.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Jan '17 10:10
    Credit your copy/paste source, Whodey: http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/happy-mlk-day.563181/

    (minus the genius "Go figure" addition. That was your own.)
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    16 Jan '17 11:11
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Credit your copy/paste source, Whodey: http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/happy-mlk-day.563181/

    (minus the genius "Go figure" addition. That was your own.)
    Dolt.

    That was me.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    16 Jan '17 14:37
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Credit your copy/paste source, Whodey: http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/happy-mlk-day.563181/

    (minus the genius "Go figure" addition. That was your own.)
    http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/happy-mlk-day.563181/page-3#post-16318735
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Jan '17 14:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    Dolt.

    That was me.
    No "dolt".

    Considering your many previous shameless C/Ps without mentioning the source it's only common sense to google your posts and pointing out when it's another person's post. Except in this case it's your own post under a different name.... meh, mistakes happen.

    But yeah, I believe it's your account on that website based on some more posts. I recognize the rambling Obama rants.
  11. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    16 Jan '17 18:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    So the next time someone tries to sell you the notion that all Republicans are racists via their mindless and toxic partisan drivil, tell them this. In fact, Hillary once referred to herself as a "Goldwater girl".
    Given that the US political parties have changed considerably over the years, it seams unreasonable to claim that because the party had particular members decades ago, then current members are not racist.
    Of course I personally concede that there are republican party members who are not racist. I still think anyone that voted for Trump is an ignorant fool. I also think that much of the toxic partisan drivel we see from republicans has elements of racism. I realise however that many party members maintain membership for other political reasons and the two party system in the US essentially means you have to choose between two rather undesirable choices. The same issue exists in Zambia, so its nothing new to me.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    16 Jan '17 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Given that the US political parties have changed considerably over the years, it seams unreasonable to claim that because the party had particular members decades ago, then current members are not racist.
    Of course I personally concede that there are republican party members who are not racist. I still think anyone that voted for Trump is an ignorant foo ...[text shortened]... tween two rather undesirable choices. The same issue exists in Zambia, so its nothing new to me.
    I'm no Trump fan but to say the man is a racist I think is plain crazy.

    Trump was not ever referred to as a racist before he decided to run for President as the left pulls out their race card like they do for everyone who runs. They have race baited so much that now if a real racist comes along the wolf will finally devour them.

    Trump has always cared about one thing, money.

    I would say that Trump is just as much of a racist as Hilary in that respect.
  13. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    16 Jan '17 18:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm no Trump fan but to say the man is a racist I think is plain crazy.
    You will note that I didn't say it. I wonder why its on your mind?
    I don't see why it would be crazy, there may be good reasons to think he is racist.

    Trump was not ever referred to as a racist before he decided to run for President as the left pulls out their race card like they do for everyone who runs.
    Are you sure? You have on record, everything Trump was ever referred to as before running for president? That's nearly as stupid a claim as checkbaiter claiming to know every one of Obama's school mates and girlfriends.

    They have race baited so much that now if a real racist comes along the wolf will finally devour them.
    Whether Trump is racist or not, it remains the case that he has courted racists and has a significant number of racist supporters.
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    16 Jan '17 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm no Trump fan ....
    Just his most ardent supporter. Its hilarious how many posters start of by saying they don't support him and then do just that. Scared the stink will rub off?
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    80056
    16 Jan '17 18:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm no Trump fan but to say the man is a racist I think is plain crazy.

    Trump was not ever referred to as a racist before he decided to run for President as the left pulls out their race card like they do for everyone who runs. They have race baited so much that now if a real racist comes along the wolf will finally devour them.

    Trump has always cared ...[text shortened]... e thing, money.

    I would say that Trump is just as much of a racist as Hilary in that respect.
    Your last sentence seems to imply that Clinton is a racist, care to justify that?
Back to Top