1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 13:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    Conservatives may not agree with the law, but what they do not do is ignore the laws. The other side does that.
    NCAA regulations are not the same as the "law."
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 14:011 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Nevertheless everyone must abide by them. That means those that do not have an advantage over those that do. Just think of all the great players you could get to come play on your team if you began financing them like a professional athlete.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 14:11
    Nevertheless everyone must abide by them. That means those that do not have an advantage over those that do. Just think of all the great players you could get to come play on your team if you began financing them like a professional athlete.
    If anything, that's why USC should be punished, not Bush.

If you were a poor kid with no money in the family and enormous football talent and some booster offered to give you a car and your mother and family some money and maybe a nice vacation, you're telling me you'd say "Nah; I'll wait 3 years until I get my NFL payday; in the meantime, momma can keep struggling"?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 14:35
    If anything, that's why USC should be punished, not Bush.

If you were a poor kid with no money in the family and enormous football talent and some booster offered to give you a car and your mother and family some money and maybe a nice vacation, you're telling me you'd say "Nah; I'll wait 3 years until I get my NFL payday; in the meantime, momma can keep struggling"?
    It sounds as if you are advocating all players in college football to thumb their noses at the rules. What about Vince Youngs momma? I guess she can go without while Bush's parents are living high on the hog. Sounds fair to me.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 14:59
    It sounds as if you are advocating all players in college football to thumb their noses at the rules. What about Vince Youngs momma? I guess she can go without while Bush's parents are living high on the hog. Sounds fair to me.
    I am advocating that, while it makes sense to the NCAA to punish a program for violating its rules (no matter how stupid the rules may be), it's absurd to expect a player to decline a gift from a booster because of NCAA rules which, strictly speaking, have no jurisdiction over the player.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:01
    And teams that ignore the regulations are "liberal" teams or "left wing" teams as whodey suggests. I know a bit about U.S. sports but this is the first I have heard of this.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:08
    I don't understand the big deal, is this trophy important for something?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't understand the big deal, is this trophy important for something?
    Pretend this is the MVP of the World Cup or, if you're in Finland, maybe it's the like trophy for the guy who took the longest roll in the snow after a January sauna session.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:19
    Pretend this is the MVP of the World Cup or, if you're in Finland, maybe it's the like trophy for the guy who took the longest roll in the snow after a January sauna session.
    College football is that important?
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:21
    Depends on where in the US. In the NYC area, it's not that big a deal. But in some areas (e.g., the plains states and much of the South), college football is the biggest spectator sport.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:40
    I am advocating that, while it makes sense to the NCAA to punish a program for violating its rules (no matter how stupid the rules may be), it's absurd to expect a player to decline a gift from a booster because of NCAA rules which, strictly speaking, have no jurisdiction over the player.
    So blame the serpent and not those in the garden accepting hand outs, eh sh76? 😉
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:41
    Yes. 😠
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    And teams that ignore the regulations are "liberal" teams or "left wing" teams as whodey suggests. I know a bit about U.S. sports but this is the first I have heard of this.
    I was not suggesting that there were conservative verses liberal teams. I was referring to the fact that those on the left are suing Arizona for trying to enforce the already existing federal laws on immigration, among other things. I could talk about Reconcilation to pass Obamacare and a whole host of other rule breaking tactics but God forbid I sound like a broken record.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:45
    Depends on where in the US. In the NYC area, it's not that big a deal. But in some areas (e.g., the plains states and much of the South), college football is the biggest spectator sport.
    I've always found it rather silly, why would you have someone less talented replace someone in a college seat just because they can throw a ball quite well? Makes about as much sense as accountant's football.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 16:05
    I've always found it rather silly, why would you have someone less talented replace someone in a college seat just because they can throw a ball quite well? Makes about as much sense as accountant's football.
    The mercenary college athletes aren't replacing anyone.

They're generating enormous revenue for the school and, in essence, supporting the rest of the money losing sports programs the school operates. But because the NCAA has a monopoly and make these anachronistic idealistic rules based on concepts that exist only in Dreamland, they can't get compensated for the revenue they bring in.

If you're interested in a fictitious but realistic account of the life of a "student athlete" (Ha!), read 'I am Charlotte Simmons" by the great Tom Wolfe. True to form, it's social commentary and story telling mixed brilliantly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree