Heroes and Villains

Heroes and Villains

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
31 May 15

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jun 15

Originally posted by vivify
In your OP, you talked about "forcing beliefs" down students' throats. Conservatives are doing just that by forcing creationism down the throats of students. At least the students in your OP were college-age, and have more of an ability to make up their own minds; conservatives are shamelessly forcing their beliefs into a system that teaches young children- ...[text shortened]... reasons why you (or conservatives in general) aren't taken seriously: the monumental hypocrisy.
Evolutionism is what is being forced, not creationism. 😏

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
01 Jun 15

Fun exercise. Here's my list of just those people from most heroic to most evil.

Martin Luther King
Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Margret Thatcher
Bill Gates
Bush Jr.
Jesus
Mother Theresa *
Karl Marx
Lenin
Mao
Stalin
Saddam
Osama Bin Laden
Hitler

* The great Hitch ruined Mother Theresa for me for all time.

w

Moves
01 Jun 15
2 edits

Originally posted by sh76
Fun exercise. Here's my list of just those people from most heroic to most evil.

Martin Luther King
Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Margret Thatcher
Bill Gates
Bush Jr.
Jesus
Mother Theresa *
Karl Marx
Lenin
Mao
Stalin
Saddam
Osama Bin Laden
Hitler

Jesus is #9? Why so low? You are really putting MLK above Jesus whom he followed?

Htiler below Stalin? Why since Stalin killed millions upon millions more?

Wait a second, you seriously put "W" above Jesus?!!?!?!?!?!

That tears it! I'm reporting you to the mods! 😠

K

Germany

Moves
01 Jun 15

Since not much is known of the historical Jesus, I don't think anyone can make a sound judgement with respect to his character or deeds.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
01 Jun 15

Originally posted by whodey
Jesus is #9? Why so low? You are really putting MLK above Jesus whom he followed?

Htiler below Stalin? Why since Stalin killed millions upon millions more?

Wait a second, you seriously put "W" above Jesus?!!?!?!?!?!

That tears it! I'm reporting you to the mods! 😠
I penalized Jesus because it's unclear exactly what he did and did not do. I do not take the New Testament as Gospel (yuk yuk). While Jesus probably had some good ideas about fighting corruption, I'd say the jury is very much out on exactly what his views were and how and whether he actually did much (aside from getting Crucified, of course).

w

Moves
01 Jun 15
2 edits

I penalized Jesus because it's unclear exactly what he did and did not do. I do not take the New Testament as Gospel (yuk yuk). While Jesus probably had some good ideas about fighting corruption, I'd say the jury is very much out on exactly what his views were and how and whether he actually did much (aside from getting Crucified, of course).
If you took at face value what was said of him in the Bible how would you rate him?

Incidentally, it is still no reason to rate him below "W". You are basically rating him on what you don't think you know, which means you should not rate him at all.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Jun 15

He brought your God to Rome and the rest of the world.

Unless you prefer open worship of warfare - Mars...

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
02 Jun 15

If you took at face value what was said of him in the Bible how would you rate him?

Incidentally, it is still no reason to rate him below "W". You are basically rating him on what you don't think you know, which means you should not rate him at all.
If I took the NT at face value, then of course I'd rate him #1.

w

Moves
02 Jun 15
1 edit

If I took the NT at face value, then of course I'd rate him #1.
On what basis did you rate him so low then?

Were you rating him merely on self perceived ignorance?

You then rate one of his followers, MLK, #1?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
02 Jun 15

On what basis did you rate him so low then?

Were you rating him merely on self perceived ignorance?

You then rate one of his followers, MLK, #1?
I rated him in the middle of the pack because there's little evidence of his exploits.

At least I'm pretty certain that MLK was real. That's one point for him.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
02 Jun 15

That would be an interesting debate for the spirituality section. I'm just thankful it's 2015. This time next year the political attack ad's will be nearing their peak...not something I'm looking forward to. 😞

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Jun 15

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Have you ever considered writing a novel, Whodey? Don't worry, spell checks have gotten really good.

I mean, you're insane to the point of complete madness, but you have a wonderful imagination. You should totally use that.
He could even call it "My Struggle". Oh, wait, that's been taken.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Jun 15

Originally posted by C Hess
If there is no god then there is no ultimate authority, silly.
That's a mighty big "if", there.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Jun 15

Must also be why you pushed W above Jesus.