Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    31 May '15 22:49
    Originally posted by Phranny to Whodey
    Einstein was a philosopher and great humanitarian as well as a scientist.
    Einstein was not a philosopher. He wrote no book or article in academic philosophy.
    And I have no knowledge that Einstein ever claimed to be a philosopher.

    Note: I don't believe that a philosopher should be defined as 'someone who occasionally
    has a philosophical thought' because that definition would include almost everyone.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13074
    01 Jun '15 01:42
    Originally posted by vivify
    In your OP, you talked about "forcing beliefs" down students' throats. Conservatives are doing just that by forcing creationism down the throats of students. At least the students in your OP were college-age, and have more of an ability to make up their own minds; conservatives are shamelessly forcing their beliefs into a system that teaches young children- ...[text shortened]... reasons why you (or conservatives in general) aren't taken seriously: the monumental hypocrisy.
    Evolutionism is what is being forced, not creationism. 😏
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    01 Jun '15 14:48
    Fun exercise. Here's my list of just those people from most heroic to most evil.

    Martin Luther King
    Gandhi
    Nelson Mandela
    Albert Einstein
    Isaac Newton
    Margret Thatcher
    Bill Gates
    Bush Jr.
    Jesus
    Mother Theresa *
    Karl Marx
    Lenin
    Mao
    Stalin
    Saddam
    Osama Bin Laden
    Hitler



    * The great Hitch ruined Mother Theresa for me for all time.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10120
    01 Jun '15 17:522 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Fun exercise. Here's my list of just those people from most heroic to most evil.

    Martin Luther King
    Gandhi
    Nelson Mandela
    Albert Einstein
    Isaac Newton
    Margret Thatcher
    Bill Gates
    Bush Jr.
    Jesus
    Mother Theresa *
    Karl Marx
    Lenin
    Mao
    Stalin
    Saddam
    Osama Bin Laden
    Hitler



    * The great Hitch ruined Mother Theresa for me for all time.
    Jesus is #9? Why so low? You are really putting MLK above Jesus whom he followed?

    Htiler below Stalin? Why since Stalin killed millions upon millions more?

    Wait a second, you seriously put "W" above Jesus?!!?!?!?!?!

    That tears it! I'm reporting you to the mods! 😠
  5. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    01 Jun '15 18:26
    Since not much is known of the historical Jesus, I don't think anyone can make a sound judgement with respect to his character or deeds.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    01 Jun '15 18:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Jesus is #9? Why so low? You are really putting MLK above Jesus whom he followed?

    Htiler below Stalin? Why since Stalin killed millions upon millions more?

    Wait a second, you seriously put "W" above Jesus?!!?!?!?!?!

    That tears it! I'm reporting you to the mods! 😠
    I penalized Jesus because it's unclear exactly what he did and did not do. I do not take the New Testament as Gospel (yuk yuk). While Jesus probably had some good ideas about fighting corruption, I'd say the jury is very much out on exactly what his views were and how and whether he actually did much (aside from getting Crucified, of course).
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10120
    01 Jun '15 19:192 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    I penalized Jesus because it's unclear exactly what he did and did not do. I do not take the New Testament as Gospel (yuk yuk). While Jesus probably had some good ideas about fighting corruption, I'd say the jury is very much out on exactly what his views were and how and whether he actually did much (aside from getting Crucified, of course).
    If you took at face value what was said of him in the Bible how would you rate him?

    Incidentally, it is still no reason to rate him below "W". You are basically rating him on what you don't think you know, which means you should not rate him at all.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    02 Jun '15 00:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    I penalized Jesus because it's unclear exactly what he did and did not do. I do not take the New Testament as Gospel (yuk yuk). While Jesus probably had some good ideas about fighting corruption, I'd say the jury is very much out on exactly what his views were and how and whether he actually did much (aside from getting Crucified, of course).
    He brought your God to Rome and the rest of the world.

    Unless you prefer open worship of warfare - Mars...
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    02 Jun '15 01:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    If you took at face value what was said of him in the Bible how would you rate him?

    Incidentally, it is still no reason to rate him below "W". You are basically rating him on what you don't think you know, which means you should not rate him at all.
    If I took the NT at face value, then of course I'd rate him #1.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10120
    02 Jun '15 10:501 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    If I took the NT at face value, then of course I'd rate him #1.
    On what basis did you rate him so low then?

    Were you rating him merely on self perceived ignorance?

    You then rate one of his followers, MLK, #1?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    02 Jun '15 14:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    On what basis did you rate him so low then?

    Were you rating him merely on self perceived ignorance?

    You then rate one of his followers, MLK, #1?
    I rated him in the middle of the pack because there's little evidence of his exploits.

    At least I'm pretty certain that MLK was real. That's one point for him.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    02 Jun '15 14:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    I penalized Jesus because it's unclear exactly what he did and did not do. I do not take the New Testament as Gospel (yuk yuk). While Jesus probably had some good ideas about fighting corruption, I'd say the jury is very much out on exactly what his views were and how and whether he actually did much (aside from getting Crucified, of course).
    That would be an interesting debate for the spirituality section. I'm just thankful it's 2015. This time next year the political attack ad's will be nearing their peak...not something I'm looking forward to. 😞
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35902
    03 Jun '15 23:04
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Have you ever considered writing a novel, Whodey? Don't worry, spell checks have gotten really good.

    I mean, you're insane to the point of complete madness, but you have a wonderful imagination. You should totally use that.
    He could even call it "My Struggle". Oh, wait, that's been taken.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35902
    03 Jun '15 23:06
    Originally posted by C Hess
    If there is no god then there is no ultimate authority, silly.
    That's a mighty big "if", there.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35902
    03 Jun '15 23:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    * The great Hitch ruined Mother Theresa for me for all time.
    Must also be why you pushed W above Jesus.
Back to Top