1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 17:15
    http://news.yahoo.com/survey-health-insurance-costs-surged-2011-150718585.html

"A study by the Kaiser Family Foundation says annual premiums for family coverage climbed 9 percent compared to 2010, when they rose only 3 percent."

Hilarious. The first benefits of Obamacare -- higher health premiums.

As Milton Friedman always said -- more government regulation raises prices. Just incredible how right the man has been over the years.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 17:34
    I thought Obamacare has not taken effect yet?

Anyway, I'm sure you're aware that US health care is the most expensive in the world?
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 17:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Anyway, I'm sure you're aware that US health care is the most expensive in the world?
    The vast majority of Obama's health bill has not taken effect.

I don't have much faith that it will lower prices significantly, but I don't think that's necessarily a failure of too much regulation, it's just the bill didn't do the right things.
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 21:10
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/insurance/story/2011-09-27/health-insurance-premiums/50567634/1

The study does not delve into why rates jumped in 2011, but foundation CEO Drew Altman said a number of factors may have played a role. He noted that health care costs continue to rise. Insurer profits and the health care overhaul also have some impact. [...] Altman said initial provisions from the law, which was passed last year, added about 1.5 percent to this year's premiums, which is about what many insurance analysts and benefits experts expected.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 21:12
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    What about the fact that insurers can no longer deny coverage due to preexisting conditions?

What about the fact that young adults can stay covered on their parents' plans until they turn 26?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 21:16

"A study by the Kaiser Family Foundation says annual premiums for family coverage climbed 9 percent compared to 2010, when they rose only 3 percent."

As Milton Friedman always said -- more government regulation raises prices. Just incredible how right the man has been over the years.
    Just ask the Chileans how "right" Miltie was.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 21:17
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    What about the fact that insurers can no longer deny coverage due to preexisting conditions?

What about the fact that young adults can stay covered on their parents' plans until they turn 26?
    I pay the healthcare bills at work for the office. Our premium have gone up 16% each of the past two years. If you want more people covered premiums will increase. The promise that it would be otherwise is just a lie.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 21:181 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I pay the healthcare bills at work for the office. Our premium have gone up 16% each of the past two years. If you want more people covered premiums will increase. The promise that it would be otherwise is just a lie.
    Health care premiums were increased at double digit levels per year for the prior 10 years even though less people were being covered. Welcome to capitalism.

http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=1681
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 21:541 edit

But higher taxes will create jobs at the IRS and insane asylums and funeral homes and welfare agencies. It's all about jobs man!!
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 22:361 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Just look at it as another much needed stimulus package for health care workers and insurance companies. 😛
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 23:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Health care premiums were increased at double digit levels per year for the prior 10 years even though less people were being covered. Welcome to capitalism.

http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=1681
    Health care hasn't been free market or capitalistic in decades. The largest users of health care are the elderly, and the poor, those already covered by a third party payor government run system, Medicare and Medicaid.

Look at those systems and argue that the entire nation ought to run on the same fraud infested systems. Medicare in it's first year over spent the estimates by 10x.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 23:471 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Health care hasn't been free market or capitalistic in decades. The largest users of health care are the elderly, and the poor, those already covered by a third party payor government run system, Medicare and Medicaid.

Look at those systems and argue that the entire nation ought to run on the same fraud infested systems. Medicare in it's first year over spent the estimates by 10x.
    No it would be a lot better if sick people would just die and get it over with. And old people actually getting treated by doctors? Don't get me and norm started.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Sep '11 00:28
    Just ask the Chileans how "right" Miltie was.
    What has been so bad about Chile?

On what was Milton Friedman wrong?

Snarky commenst doen't prove anything.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Sep '11 00:31
    Originally posted by normbenign
    What has been so bad about Chile?

On what was Milton Friedman wrong?

Snarky commenst doen't prove anything.
    Neither does abysmal ignorance.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Sep '11 00:31
    No it would be a lot better if sick people would just die and get it over with. And old people actually getting treated by doctors? Don't get me and norm started.
    You have to be kidding. I said that the socialized and nationalized portion of American health care was in the most expensive sectors, and the system hasn't been market driven for decades

From that you conclude I advocate sick people dying??? The truth is that rationing and euthanasia are solutions of state run health care.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree