1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 06:421 edit
    From the link below:

"Dunning and Kruger’s results have been replicated in at least a dozen different domains: math skills, wine tasting, chess, medical knowledge among surgeons and firearm safety among hunters."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/01/07/whats-behind-confidence-incompetent-this-suddenly-popular-psychological-phenomenon/?utm_term=.c79de6d4b8bb

How well do you think you play chess and how well do you think you debate on scale of 1 to 10?

I think I play chess better than the average person, but that is a relative thing. I don't think I am all that good compared to a lot of people on here so I'd give myself a 6 or 7.
    I think my debating skills are better than that so I'll give myself a 9.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 07:00
    @metal-brain said
    From the link below:

"Dunning and Kruger’s results have been replicated in at least a dozen different domains: math skills, wine tasting, chess, medical knowledge among surgeons and firearm safety among hunters."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/01/07/whats-behind-confidence-incompetent-this-suddenly-popular-psychological-phenomenon/?utm_term=.c79de6d4b8b ...[text shortened]... ive myself a 6 or 7.
    I think my debating skills are better than that so I'll give myself an 8 or 9.
    I'd rate myself:

Chess: 6.5 - Could be an 8 or better, but occasional lack of motivation = inconsistent study and play

Debating: 6 - Could be in the 8-9 range, but don't always think things through before responding.

Overall, about average I guess.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 07:301 edit
    @mchill said
    I'd rate myself:

Chess: 6.5 - Could be an 8 or better, but occasional lack of motivation = inconsistent study and play

Debating: 6 - Could be in the 8-9 range, but don't always think things through before responding.

Overall, about average I guess.
    I could be a better chess player as well. I often do not analyze what my opponents next move should be so lack of motivation is my reason too. Maybe lack of competitiveness since I could do something about it. If there was incentive like money for a win I would be more competitive.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 07:47
    @Metal-Brain

That you first make mention of the Dunning-Keuger effect and then immediately go on to give your debating skills a 9, is a sort of unaware self-awareness rarely so nakedly exposed, even in these forums.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 20:33
    @suzianne said
    @Metal-Brain

That you first make mention of the Dunning-Keuger effect and then immediately go on to give your debating skills a 9, is a sort of unaware self-awareness rarely so nakedly exposed, even in these forums.
    Your lack of participation is noted.
  6. RSA
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 21:42
    @suzianne said
    @Metal-Brain

You made me laugh...

😆
  7. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 21:43
    @suzianne said
    @Metal-Brain

You could cut the irony with a knife.
  8. RSA
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 21:45
    @kazetnagorra said
    You could cut the irony with a knife.
    It's so ironic that I'm surprised MB didn't see it.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 21:56
    @metal-brain said
    From the link below:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/01/07/whats-behind-confidence-incompetent-this-suddenly-popular-psychological-phenomenon/?utm_term=.c79de6d4b8b ...[text shortened]... I'd give myself a 6 or 7.
    Your debating skills are inversely proportional to the red number to the right of the thumbs down sign on your posts. 😛
  10. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 22:01
    @ashiitaka said
    It's so ironic that I'm surprised MB didn't see it.
    You're surprised he didn't see it because of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and he didn't see it because of the Dunning-Kruger effect. I'd say that's obvious, but maybe that's just the Dunning-Kruger effect.
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 22:08
    @metal-brain said
    From the link below:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/01/07/whats-behind-confidence-incompetent-this-suddenly-popular-psychological-phenomenon/?utm_term=.c79de6d4b8b ...[text shortened]... I'd give myself a 6 or 7.
    My debating skills are superbly mediocre.
    My chess skills are sporadically adequate.
    But my acceptance of both actualizations are natural and first rate. 🙂
  12. RSA
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 22:09
    @kazetnagorra said
    You're surprised he didn't see it because of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and he didn't see it because of the Dunning-Kruger effect. I'd say that's obvious, but maybe that's just the Dunning-Kruger effect.
    Haha.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 22:42
    @metal-brain said
    Your lack of participation is noted.
    No sane person would participate in this thread.

Rate yourself highly and people place you on the left of the curve.

Rate yourself lowly and people think that you did it on purpose in order to be seen as more competent than you actually are.

By bringing up the Dunning-Kruger effect, you corrupted your own thread and distorted any potential data.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 23:35
    @ashiitaka said
    No sane person would participate in this thread.

Rate yourself highly and people place you on the left of the curve.

Rate yourself lowly and people think that you did it on purpose in order to be seen as more competent than you actually are.

By bringing up the Dunning-Kruger effect, you corrupted your own thread and distorted any potential data.
    In a nutshell, yes.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 00:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree