How confident are you?

How confident are you?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
11 Jan 19

@js357 said
I don’t get it. From community>player tables MB can see where he ranks compared to over 8,500 RHP players and easily calculate his percentile ranking, quartile ranking, etc. Just look at the tables like anyone else and use basic mathematics. Granted that the sample may not represent the global population, it does represent a chess-playing population including of course a few cheaters.
Then please calculate it for me if you would. I am curious as to how that works.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Jan 19

@metal-brain said
What is the average rating?
mmmmm ...

D

Moves
11 Jan 19
1 edit

MB

Moves
12 Jan 19

The post that was quoted here has been removed
You wrote this:
"If Metal Brain's that ignorant, then how, apart from sheer egotism, can he claim to be better than average?"

Because I have played chess most of my life. I noticed how much I win and how much I lose. Good opponents were hard to come by until I found this website.

I asked you if 1200 was not the average. Since you did not answer you must be equally ignorant.

Moves
12 Jan 19

@metal-brain said
In other words, it doesn't matter if natural causes are the main reason for global warming. You want to take action against that too. How the heck would we do that????

"the real issue of what, if anything, can and has to be done to ensure our well being on this planet."

Then you must be concerned about the next ice age.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/07/the_next_ice_age.html

After all, that is climate change.
WE are part of the natural world. If reducing the amount of greenhouse gas in the air is effective in slowing the rate of climate change, it doesn’t make any difference who is right about the cause.

Moves
12 Jan 19

@metal-brain said
Then please calculate it for me if you would. I am curious as to how that works.
You are ranked 4625th from the top, out of 8534 RHP players in the list. 4625/8534 = ~0.541... So about 54% of the players in the RHP list have ratings higher than yours.

MB

Moves
13 Jan 19

@js357 said
WE are part of the natural world. If reducing the amount of greenhouse gas in the air is effective in slowing the rate of climate change, it doesn’t make any difference who is right about the cause.
If global warming is from natural causes cutting carbon emissions is ineffective. That is the whole point. It does make a difference who is right about the cause. It means everything.

MB

Moves
13 Jan 19
1 edit

@js357 said
You are ranked 4625th from the top, out of 8534 RHP players in the list. 4625/8534 = ~0.541... So about 54% of the players in the RHP list have ratings higher than yours.
How did you conclude that?

From my experience players who do not accept timeouts less than 14 days are checking youtube for common traps to improve their game.

I challenge you to a game. I am confident I can beat you.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Jan 19

@metal-brain said
From my experience players who do not accept timeouts less than 14 days are checking youtube for common traps to improve their game.
How do you conclude that?

Moves
13 Jan 19
3 edits

@metal-brain said
How did you conclude that?

I challenge you to a game. I am confident I can beat you.
Simple math. You are more than halfway down the list of active players, ranked by RHP rating.

Based on our respective ratings I would have the edge on you, but sure, statistically you would win some games including possibly the first one we play. I stopped playing chess a while ago and do not appear in the active player table, because I was taking it too seriously, but I enjoy watching games. Under the circumstances, a game against you, win or lose, might have too much riding on it to be enjoyable. You are welcome to look at and critique my completed games and show me where my losses went wrong and what I should have done. Edit: I already know where most of them went wrong; but for a lot of them I don’t see what I should have done instead.