1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:45
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I wonder if the courts would do the same regarding homeopathic treatments.

I think it's easy to think of more intermediate cases where things become very ambiguous. Leaving the decision relatively discretionary is always a possibility, of course, but never very satisfying.
    These are hard cases. I'm uncomfortable with the State overriding the treatment wishes of parents. I regard it as relevant that the child here is a teenager, not an infant - he has some capability to make rational decisions based on the information available to him. His decision not to have the chemo should be very relevant.

Overall, I lean to the State staying out of this. I also think that "neglect" statutes are so vaguely worded that virtually any decision of a parent could arguably be considered "neglect" by "experts" and that the inference in family matters by courts in the last several decades has reached epidemic proportions.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes or no, is the welfare of the childs the parents responsibility? If yes, who then should supercede it? If no, who then assumes this role? The state?
    If a pregnant minor wants to notify their parents, they will. The State should stay out of it.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:52
    Adults should be free to be retarded as long as they only harm themselves, but children need to be protected from retarded parents. So if a child is denied optimal medical care the government should step in. This includes protection against unnecessary circumcision.

Also, homeopathy, alternative medicine etc. should be heavily taxed to steer people in the right direction.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Adults should be free to be retarded as long as they only harm themselves, but children need to be protected from retarded parents. So if a child is denied optimal medical care the government should step in. This includes protection against unnecessary circumcision.

Also, homeopathy, alternative medicine etc. should be heavily taxed to steer people in the right direction.
    Why is the State better qualified to decide what is "optimal medical care" for a child than their parents?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why is the State better qualified to decide what is "optimal medical care" for a child than their parents?
    Not necessarily the state itself, an independant medical committee should decide and rule over this matter.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:021 edit
    Not necessarily the state itself, an independant medical committee should decide and rule over this matter.
    Perhaps an "independent" panel of experts could also be convened every time someone wants to cross the street with their child as well.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:10
    Perhaps an "independent" panel of experts could also be convened every time someone wants to cross the street with their child as well.
    Nice slippery slope fallacy there.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:16
    Nice slippery slope fallacy there.
    It's more ridicule than an argument so it can't be a fallacy of any kind.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:25
    This includes protection against unnecessary circumcision.
    You get carried away often, don't you?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:27
    You get carried away often, don't you?
    I believe that in one hundred years time, people will ridicule this practise.

I'm an optimist.
  11. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:27
    Not at all, but I wouldn't object to a policeman intervening if they saw a parent leading their child across a busy road wearing a blindfold and earplugs...
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:35
    I believe that in one hundred years time, people will ridicule this practise.

I'm an optimist.
    You just get carried away by your atheism, I guess. There are still papers being published about its benefits.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:391 edit
    You just get carried away by your atheism, I guess. There are still papers being published about its benefits.
    There may be some benefits concerning HIV infections, yes. But do they outweigh the 1% or so risk of severe and permanent injury, and the trauma inflicted upon the child?

In any case, if any adult wants to be circumcised to lower the risk of HIV infections (or other possible benefits) I'm not stopping them.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:44
    There may be some benefits concerning HIV infections, yes. But do they outweigh the 1% or so risk of severe and permanent injury, and the trauma inflicted upon the child?

In any case, if any adult wants to be circumcised to lower the risk of HIV infections I'm not stopping them.
    There are also other benefits, like reducing the risk of urinary tract infections in boys, for example.

It seems you're just too eager to attack religious practices but picked one which isn't a clear cut case at all.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:48
    There are also other benefits, like reducing the risk of urinary tract infections in boys, for example.

It seems you're just too eager to attack religious practices but picked one which isn't a clear cut case at all.
    I doubt the possible benefits outweigh the disadvantages. But if it's reasonably established that they do, I do not oppose circumcision.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree