How would convictions change the election?

How would convictions change the election?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
189d
5 edits

Donald Trump is facing nearly 100 criminal charges in four different jurisdictions. Despite his desperate attempts to delay these trials until after November of 2024, it's become clear at least 1 (possibly more) of them will conclude with multiple convictions before then. So, how would a convict - candidate change the 2024 election? Would his followers still vote for him? What are his chances of winning, given his status as a convicted criminal? How could he function as President from a jail cell or even home confinement? Would he be allowed to serve on a work release program, returning to jail after a day's work? Could he pardon himself? Many experts confess we would be in uncharted legal water.

Thoughts?

P.S. Trump supporters: This thread is NOT about the Bidens, so please stay on topic and restrain your urges to run off in different directions. 🙂

Über-Nerd

Moves
189d
2 edits

@mchill

If he were convicted of insurrection or attempting to invalidate a valid election result, he could be barred from holding office under the 14th amendment. This is already being tested in CO state court, where a case is being heard to prevent Trump even getting on the ballot.

If enough other states followed suit, he couldn’t garner enough EC votes to get elected, even if he ran in other states.

This is only one possible scenario.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
189d

@moonbus said
@mchill

If he were convicted of insurrection or attempting to invalidate a valid election result, he could be barred from holding office under the 14th amendment. This is already being tested in CO state court, where a case is being heard to prevent Trump even getting on the ballot.

If enough other states followed suit, he couldn’t garner enough EC votes to get elected, even if he ran in other states.

This is only one possible scenario.
If he does emerge as the GOP candidate the convictions might turn any swing voters and moderate ( old school ) republicans but the base will back him even more fervently, they wanted him to steal the election and disenfranchise their enemies and they’ll still hope he can steal the next one with their assistance.

Über-Nerd

Moves
189d

@kevcvs57 said
If he does emerge as the GOP candidate the convictions might turn any swing voters and moderate ( old school ) republicans but the base will back him even more fervently, they wanted him to steal the election and disenfranchise their enemies and they’ll still hope he can steal the next one with their assistance.
The GOP had better come up with a Plan B candidate, just in case Trump is behind bars by Nov. 2024. They're idiots if they don't.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
189d

@moonbus
The problem is the Trump cult is too strong, you saw how he got rid of a candidate speaker of the house before Johnson, he IS the republican party right now and it seems the more trouble he is in the more his base loves him.
Kind of like the adulation of Billy the Kid back in the 1800's.

Moves
188d

@mchill said
Donald Trump is facing nearly 100 criminal charges in four different jurisdictions. Despite his desperate attempts to delay these trials until after November of 2024, it's become clear at least 1 (possibly more) of them will conclude with multiple convictions before then. So, how would a convict - candidate change the 2024 election? Would his followers still vote for him? What ...[text shortened]... t the Bidens, so please stay on topic and restrain your urges to run off in different directions. 🙂
this post is about democrats turning this country into a banana republic.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
188d

@mott-the-hoople said
this post is about democrats turning this country into a banana republic.
Hahahahahahaha

God damn, you cracker.

Über-Nerd

Moves
188d
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@moonbus
The problem is the Trump cult is too strong, you saw how he got rid of a candidate speaker of the house before Johnson, he IS the republican party right now and it seems the more trouble he is in the more his base loves him.
Kind of like the adulation of Billy the Kid back in the 1800's.
However, the demographic reality is that he lost the public vote count twice in a row, and there is no reason to think he has gained ground in the intervening years. He has not expanded his voter appeal beyond his original base, and the GOP are idiots if they don’t recognize that. If Trump were to be convicted of even one felony charge, it would trigger law suits in multiple jurisdictions to prevent his candidacy. This of course would not phase his die-hard supporters, but would trigger a constitutional crisis, the likes of which have not been seen since Nixon.

No doubt Marauder will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but, to the best of my knowledge, a convicted felon may not own a firearm or, while serving a sentence, vote. It would be bizarre, to say the least, if a convicted felon could become POTUS and Commander in Chief.

Über-Nerd

Moves
188d

Day one of the trial in Colorado:

https://us.cnn.com/2023/10/30/politics/takeaways-trump-14th-amendment-trial-colorado/index.html

Trump’s lawyers argued it wasn’t an insurrection, despite the fact that a number of participants have have already been convicted of exactly that.

I doubt the prosecutor can prove that Trump was an insurrectionist, but might just prove “aiding and abetting.”

Gimme It! Free Stuf!

Lake Como

Moves
188d

@moonbus said
Day one of the trial in Colorado:

https://us.cnn.com/2023/10/30/politics/takeaways-trump-14th-amendment-trial-colorado/index.html

Trump’s lawyers argued it wasn’t an insurrection, despite the fact that a number of participants have have already been convicted of exactly that.

I doubt the prosecutor can prove that Trump was an insurrectionist, but might just prove “aiding and abetting.”
You can use 23 words in your middle sentence to justify the exact definition of insurrection as same applies to Jan 6.
Can you define white supremacy? You are really on a roll. How bout listing all of the Trump failures. We don't have to list those of Biden, we already know them. Are y'all letting people from all over the world come into Ameria so that the dems will get votes and keep the presidency.??? Why, is that playing fair?

Australia

Moves
188d
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
You can use 23 words in your middle sentence to justify the exact definition of insurrection as same applies to Jan 6.
Can you define white supremacy? You are really on a roll. How bout listing all of the Trump failures. We don't have to list those of Biden, we already know them. Are y'all letting people from all over the world come into Ameria so that the dems will get votes and keep the presidency.??? Why, is that playing fair?
Off-topic.

Trump refused to give up the Presidency even though he was no longer entitled to be President, according to a majority of voters. That of itself should be enough to prevent him from ever again being given the opportunity to hold the most respected position in the country. Republicans supporting his nomination are trying to make the US a real banana republic/dictatorship. There are plenty of these around the world, and it would be sad to see the United States democracy fall to such a level after such a promising start.

Über-Nerd

Moves
188d

@averagejoe1 said
“Stand back and stand by.” People already convicted of insurrection quoted his very words and stated that they understood them to be orders specifically directed at them by their Commander in Chief. That sounds a lot like “aiding and abetting“ insurrectionists. But, let’s just wait and see, shall we? I’ll be satisfied if Trump’s numerous legal cases ruin him financially so that he no longer has the wherewithal to run again. Of course, he would not be above misusing campaign funds to pay his private legal fees, but that too ought to disqualify any candidate from running for high office.

Über-Nerd

Moves
188d
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
I'd be happy to give you two capital failures.

1. Ten of thousands of Americans died unnecessarily due to his mishandling of the COVID pandemic and his lying to the American people about the severity of it. He's already admitted he knew it would serious and that he deliberately lied about it. "It'll be gone by Easter." He should have been impeached for gross negligence for that alone.

2. Anyone who cheats on his taxes for 15 years running has no business being entrusted with the world's soon-to-be-second-largest economy, if only because it sets a bad example for millions of honest taxpayers.

'Nuf said.

Gimme It! Free Stuf!

Lake Como

Moves
188d

@kewpie said
Off-topic.

Trump refused to give up the Presidency even though he was no longer entitled to be President, according to a majority of voters. That of itself should be enough to prevent him from ever again being given the opportunity to hold the most respected position in the country. Republicans supporting his nomination are trying to make the US a real banana republic/dic ...[text shortened]... t would be sad to see the United States democracy fall to such a level after such a promising start.
So who do you think should be our next President? And should he go ahead and just fully open the southern border of the United States? Yeah, we will have bananas all right.
If either Marauder or I want to cancel Halloween, which of us do you think it would be? I have so many questions.
The liberals just destroyed the Robert E Lee statue, but that was not enough. They MELTED it down. Reeking with rage, of course. Kev and Wgrass and Marauder want me to invite these people over for Thanksgiving. No, I don't think so, as I do not believe in mixing cultures. They are not content with melting statues, they want to melt me. The mob. They want to melt my individuality.
The site is now a homeless encampment, full of graffiti. History has stopped. Building names have been changed, tear down this and that. So if you are inventing Banana Repub stuff, what is this desecration called? Desecration, I guess. I can't see you in the Marauder,Kev,Wildgrass camp.

Über-Nerd

Moves
188d
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
So who do you think should be our next President? And should he go ahead and just fully open the southern border of the United States? Yeah, we will have bananas all right.
If either Marauder or I want to cancel Halloween, which of us do you think it would be? I have so many questions.
The liberals just destroyed the Robert E Lee statue, but that was not enough ...[text shortened]... his desecration called? Desecration, I guess. I can't see you in the Marauder,Kev,Wildgrass camp.
On the Island of Guadeloupe, in the Caribbean, there is a museum dedicated to chronicling the international slave trade. I've been there, I've seen it. It's an impressive display, covering the whole damnable enterprise, from Europe to Africa to the New World.

I'd have donated the Robt. E. Lee statue to that museum. It's a piece of history, after all.