1. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:23
    Originally posted by pete3246
    I agree...get the gov out of the student loan biz.

Too many people are in college now that really shouldn't be.
    Like smart people from poor backgrounds?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    The government determines how much can be borrowed to pay for school, so it's entirely within the government's power to determine how much debt the student racks up.

Moreover, colleges have an intense amount of competition. They charge exactly what the market will bear. If the government cut the amount you could take in a Stafford Loan, colleges would have t ...[text shortened]... ou blame the enabler that doesn't have to work within the limitations of the market economy.
    Why not cut out all student aid entirely, Ayn? Then the tuition will be cut so low that virtually everybody will be able to go to college just like they did in the 1930's.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Like smart people from poor backgrounds?
    If they were so smart they wouldn't have chosen to come from poor backgrounds. One shouldn't reward people for making the unwise choice of having low income parents; moral hazard and all.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why not cut out all student aid entirely, Ayn? Then the tuition will be cut so low that virtually everybody will be able to go to college just like they did in the 1930's.
    Oh, stop being ridiculous. First, you know perfectly well I'm not a Randian so stop painting with such a broad brush.

Second, I was merely pointing out that the federal government can help control the cost of tuition and that tuition rates are not entirely up to the schools. I was not advocating that the government stop giving out Stafford loans.

What an intemperate post.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:31
    Oh, stop being ridiculous. First, you know perfectly well I'm not a Randian so stop painting with such a broad brush.

Second, I was merely pointing out that the federal government can help control the cost of tuition and that tuition rates are not entirely up to the schools. I was not advocating that the government stop giving out Stafford loans.

The government can simply mandate that state schools ask no tuition.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The government can simply mandate that state schools ask no tuition.
    Actually, it can't. That would be unconstitutional.

The government can offer to pay for all state schooling with the same effect, of course. But I think the US budget deficit is high enough right now, thank you.
  7. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:351 edit
    People who really have an actual aptitude for college should go...lots of students now simply go to college because they are told they should.

Its sad we depend on the Government for so much in our lives. How free would it feel to know you had just yourself and your family to depend on.....it seems like that would save so much wasted energy and grief for people.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:40

I'd say that your post, where you tried to blame the federal government for increases in tuition was "intemperate" to the point of being BS. The most likely result of cuts in the amount of grants and aid would be less students getting to go to school, not decreases in tuition which would lead to less financial burden on students and their families.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:41
    People who really have an actual aptitude for college should go...lots of students now simply go to college because they are told they should.

Its sad we depend on the Government for so much in our lives. How free would it feel to know you had just yourself and your family to depend on.....it seems like that would save so much wasted energy and grief for people.
    Yeah it would be just like the good ole days of Dickensian England ................
  10. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:46
    It would be great if tuition could be based on a percentage of $ earned after graduation. It could be on a sliding scale... proffessions that tend to make less dollars would have a lower cost of education.... colleges would be invested in making sure that students actually learned skills that would yield better pay in their field
  11. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:48
    or it would be like the days of Americans greatest generation with the additional impact of having more people of different backgrounds being able to show their stuff
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 20:59
    or it would be like the days of Americans greatest generation with the additional impact of having more people of different backgrounds being able to show their stuff
    The "greatest generation" relied on the GI Bill for millions to get college educations who otherwise wouldn't have. And the government was conspicuously active fighting the Great Depression and WWII.
  13. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 21:461 edit
    Im all for something like the GI bill...... Im sure we have something like that going on now,,,,I would say the government is doing way more now than it was then...probably too much

as matter of fact college is available to many more people now... Im sure.... were over doing it
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 22:18
    Why isn't it up to the colleges to solve this loan problem? Its really only in the last decade that average student loans owed went from 17k to 27k.(careful not to get sucked into the huge numbers people are recently quoting). College tuition vs cost of living has been increasing at like a 500% rate over that period of time. Colleges are setting there co ...[text shortened]... the gov....its the colleges that are raking people over the coals....and raking the tax payer.
    Since 1999, I heard tuition has gone up some 500%!! Nothing grows that fast except the national debt. You might even say higher education has something in common with health care in that regard. You have government there ready to continue to pay large sums of money in loans and entitlements so the prices keep skyrocketing.

Of course, all those in higher education are a bunch of libs. After all, they are sooo educated and enlightened than the rest of us, we must pay more every year to have them endoctrinate us into their left winged philosphies. This is why government goes after oil companies and not universities in terms of increasing costs. The universities have become merely an endoctrination center for big government as where oil companies are simply cash cows with no propogandic value, hence, one is protected and the other is fair game.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 23:49
    When did I say that?

A person who makes $7,000/mo does pay federal income tax unless he really has enormous deductions.
    [i]If you were in the US earning $2,500/month, you would, by FAR, be a net recipient and not a net contributor. If you doubled that salary and had, for example, a wife and a couple of kids, you'd still be a net recipient. Triple it, and now you're starting to get into the range of a net contributor.

sh76

Thread 138686

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree