Iceland let their banks fail

Iceland let their banks fail

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by Metal Brain
I am well aware that fractional reserve banking has been around since the goldsmiths. Bank panics still happened in the USA after the 2nd Bank of the US and before the FRS as well. no1 marauder seemed to be unaware of that though. He talked as if fractional reserve banking was some modern development.
He needed a history lesson, so I gave him a limited ...[text shortened]... to see where he would go with it. You ruined it for me. I wanted to show him how little he knew.
Sorry, to interfere with the lesson. Of course, in a limited sense he is right, and Keynsians are right to observe temporary benefits to intentional inflation, but the benefits are fool's gold, always temporary in nature. Pain, both actual, and economic are great teachers. When physical pain is eliminated, we may continue to injure ourselves, and when economic pain is removed, we are encouraged to continue bad policy.

The real lesson of the Great Depression is that attempting to artificially maintain high prices, especially of labor resulted in continued and lingering unemployment.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13

I am well aware that fractional reserve banking has been around since the goldsmiths. Bank panics still happened in the USA after the 2nd Bank of the US and before the FRS as well. no1 marauder seemed to be unaware of that though. He talked as if fractional reserve banking was some modern development.
He needed a history lesson, so I gave him a limited ...[text shortened]... to see where he would go with it. You ruined it for me. I wanted to show him how little he knew.
LMFAO! Arrogant idiots seem to be a never endangered species on these forums.

Thanks for the "history lesson"!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13

You two clowns talk to each other - it's always amusing to read the ravings of people who's understanding of economics is stuck in medieval concepts.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by normbenign
Sorry, to interfere with the lesson. Of course, in a limited sense he is right, and Keynsians are right to observe temporary benefits to intentional inflation, but the benefits are fool's gold, always temporary in nature. Pain, both actual, and economic are great teachers. When physical pain is eliminated, we may continue to injure ourselves, and when ...[text shortened]... lly maintain high prices, especially of labor resulted in continued and lingering unemployment.
The economy itself is an artificial creation, a man made tool. It is not meant to inflict pain or keep the great mass of people at subsistence level or lower.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by no1marauder
The economy itself is an artificial creation, a man made tool. It is not meant to inflict pain or keep the great mass of people at subsistence level or lower.
Nobody created an economy. Economics is really human actions relating with other humans based on what thinking humans do. It can be based on force or coercion of governments, planned or manipulated economy, or it can evolve out of the free choices of free men.

The pain inflicted, which I spoke of, is not to keep people at subsistence levels, but rather it is the punishment that markets deliver to producers who ignore what consumers want. That pain can be relieved by government, taking the consumer's money and forgiving delinquent or idiotic producers, because they are "too large to fail". If small or large producers can behave without regard to success, and are bailed out with money confiscated from the people, they will repeat the behaviors.

You argue for the masses, but defend producers from market responsibility. Funny to see a professed libertarian so in love with Statist controls.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
23 Mar 13

You continue to be proof of this.

MB

Moves
23 Mar 13

Insults are not a debate. Just admit you were being naive. Your knowledge of banking is very limited and you know it.

K

Germany

Moves
23 Mar 13

Insults are not a debate. Just admit you were being naive. Your knowledge of banking is very limited and you know it.
If only more people got their knowledge of banking from the Money Masters!

MB

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
If only more people got their knowledge of banking from the Money Masters!
Gee, if you can't have comfort in debating me on the facts I guess my source of info has some merit since making fun of it is all you can do while avoiding a debate with me.

Maybe you could learn something from it. Oh, that's right....you rely on sources of info that simply don't exist. How is that working out for you?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by normbenign
Nobody created an economy. Economics is really human actions relating with other humans based on what thinking humans do. It can be based on force or coercion of governments, planned or manipulated economy, or it can evolve out of the free choices of free men.

The pain inflicted, which I spoke of, is not to keep people at subsistence levels, but rath arket responsibility. Funny to see a professed libertarian so in love with Statist controls.
Again, the Big Lie technique. Of course, I strongly opposed the bailouts as everybody on this forum, including you, know. But it's hardly surprising that you have to blatantly and falsely claim otherwise as, like most reality, it makes your dogmatic, simple minded assertions look foolish.

Since you admit that an economy is simply human action, your claim that "nobody created it" is a paradox. When this man made tool isn't performing to an optimal level, common sense and sanity suggests that humans you should try to improve it. Laissez faire doesn't work even in theory and certainly doesn't in practice which is why no society ever has or ever will rely completely on it.

I don't expect a confused anarchist like yourself to understand my philosophy since you obviously haven't read or understood Locke.

EDIT: "Markets delivering punishment" is a revealing phrase. Bernard Brodie once wrote that the right wing mindset seems to be largely based on a psychological need to punish others who don't meet the high standards that such individuals like to impose. This largely explains their policy preferences which invariably favor elites or their own racial, ethnic or other group that they self-identity with.

K

Germany

Moves
23 Mar 13

Gee, if you can't have comfort in debating me on the facts I guess my source of info has some merit since making fun of it is all you can do while avoiding a debate with me.

Maybe you could learn something from it. Oh, that's right....you rely on sources of info that simply don't exist. How is that working out for you?
What sources are you referring to? When have I referred to nonexistant sources?

FYI, I was referring to the Money Masters because today I watched the first 30 minutes of it (hoping for a good laugh), then turned it off because we were so bored with it. It was mostly a bunch of platitudes, historical inaccuracies and constant emocutting about the Fed being a private bank (oh noes!) and the Rothschild family. There was less actual content than a Michael Moore movie, and that's saying something.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13

LMAO!

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
23 Mar 13

Again, the Big Lie technique. Of course, I strongly opposed the bailouts as everybody on this forum, including you, know. But it's hardly surprising that you have to blatantly and falsely claim otherwise as, like most reality, it makes your dogmatic, simple minded assertions look foolish.

Since you admit that an economy is simply human ac ...[text shortened]... urself to understand my philosophy since you obviously haven't read or understood Locke.
I have read Locke. Have you read Mises?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
23 Mar 13

FYI, I was referring to the Money Masters because today I watched the first 30 minutes of it (hoping for a good laugh), then turned it off because we were so bored with it. It was mostly a bunch of platitudes, historical inaccuracies and constant emocutting about the Fed ...[text shortened]... family. There was less actual content than a Michael Moore movie, and that's saying something.
There is a tendency to ridicule what you find difficult to argue against.

MB

Moves
23 Mar 13

FYI, I was referring to the Money Masters because today I watched the first 30 minutes of it (hoping for a good laugh), then turned it off because we were so bored with it. It was mostly a bunch of platitudes, historical inaccuracies and constant emocutting about the Fed ...[text shortened]... family. There was less actual content than a Michael Moore movie, and that's saying something.
Then let's talk about the historical inaccuracies you claim exist. That is a start.

The Federal Reserve System is a 100% privately owned institution. That is a fact.

By all means, get the debate started. That is what we are all here for.