Iceland let their banks fail

Iceland let their banks fail

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by normbenign
There is a tendency to ridicule what you find difficult to argue against.
There is a tendency to ridicule the ridiculous which is what your and MB's assertions regarding the economy and especially modern banking are.

K

Germany

Moves
23 Mar 13

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Then let's talk about the historical inaccuracies you claim exist. That is a start.

The Federal Reserve System is a 100% privately owned institution. That is a fact.

By all means, get the debate started. That is what we are all here for.
They mentioned Caesar and claimed that he had a monopoly on minting coins (he didn't) and then bizarrely claimed that after he died the Roman Empire went into decline even though it reached its largest extent long after Caesar's death in 117 AD, and lasted until 1453 AD.

The Fed cannot be regarded as a purely private instutition since the government wields considerable influence in appointing board members. You don't see the government appointing Apple's CEO, do you?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Mar 13

I have read Locke. Have you read Mises?
Some; he's a minor figure who added nothing of significance to economic theory. Austrian economic theory has been consigned to the dust heap of history except by right wingers who just can't accept the failings of laissez faire theory. Stiglitz has shown that markets cannot function in the perfect manner claimed by these primitive theories due to vast disparities in information and other inherent problems.

Wiki has this quote from Mises:

It cannot be denied that Fascism and similar movements aiming at the establishment of dictatorships are full of the best intentions and that their intervention has, for the moment, saved European civilization. The merit that Fascism has thereby won for itself will live on eternally in history.

Do you agree with Mises that Fascism "saved European civilization" and this "merit" will "live on eternally in history"?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
23 Mar 13

Middle part of an earlier post, originally posted by no1marauder on p.5
Yes there was NO economic growth before capitalism.
Do you really mean this statement? I assume it's irony, since if you do I can give some quite clear examples of pre-capitalist growth, for example the expansion of stone quarrying and tool making under Homo Habilis.

MB

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
They mentioned Caesar and claimed that he had a monopoly on minting coins (he didn't) and then bizarrely claimed that after he died the Roman Empire went into decline even though it reached its largest extent long after Caesar's death in 117 AD, and lasted until 1453 AD.

The Fed cannot be regarded as a purely private instutition since the government ...[text shortened]... ce in appointing board members. You don't see the government appointing Apple's CEO, do you?
You don't read well.

The FRS is a 100% privately owned institution. This is a fact. Key word "owned".
My statement is 100% accurate.

MB

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by no1marauder
Some; he's a minor figure who added nothing of significance to economic theory. Austrian economic theory has been consigned to the dust heap of history except by right wingers who just can't accept the failings of laissez faire theory. Stiglitz has shown that markets cannot function in the perfect manner claimed by these primitive theories due to vast di ...[text shortened]... cism "saved European civilization" and this "merit" will "live on eternally in history"?
When some economists claim that Austrian School Economics does not match up with the empirical data it is because the data is flawed. Of course Austrian School will appear incorrect, because governments lie about the data. Here is an example in recent history how the inflation rate is manipulated.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/19/1172060/-Understating-the-CPI-101-or-Starving-Grandma#

If you adjust the stock market to inflation by calculating before the Boskin/Greenspan adjustment to CPI it would have to be a lot higher to reach a true record high.

People who are invested in TIPS are losing money to the real inflation rate.
Treasury bonds are not worth buying.
Gold was a better investment than all 3 of the above.
Social Security checks have less buying power each year.
GDP is not accurate either.

Austrian school economics may add up well without these manipulations for all we know. Perhaps Peter Schiff and Ron Paul will be vindicated in the end.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Mar 13

When some economists claim that Austrian School Economics does not match up with the empirical data it is because the data is flawed. Of course Austrian School will appear incorrect, because governments lie about the data. Here is an example in recent history how the inflation rate is manipulated.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/19/1172060/-Und ...[text shortened]... manipulations for all we know. Perhaps Peter Schiff and Ron Paul will be vindicated in the end.
Maybe the Earth really is flat, too.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Mar 13

When some economists claim that Austrian School Economics does not match up with the empirical data it is because the data is flawed.
LOL! Yeah, I will try that in my next paper. "If there is any discrepancy between my theory and empirical data, it's because the empirical data is flawed."

MB

Moves
24 Mar 13

LOL! Yeah, I will try that in my next paper. "If there is any discrepancy between my theory and empirical data, it's because the empirical data is flawed."
You clearly did not read the link. Either that or you have a poor understanding of economics.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Mar 13

You clearly did not read the link. Either that or you have a poor understanding of economics.
The official inflation rate in 2012 according to US government statistics was 2.1%. Let's say the "real" figure was 4% (or whatever you think it is). How does that support Austrian economics exactly?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Mar 13

I have read Locke. Have you read Mises?
I found this passage in the "Austrian School" wiki article interesting:

Mises argued against the use of probabilities in economic models. Instead, his praxeological method is based on deductive arguments from what are considered undeniable, self-evident axioms, or irrefutable facts, about human existence. According to Mises, deductive economic thought experiment, if performed correctly, can yield conclusions that follow irrefutably from the underlying assumptions and could not be discovered by empirical observation or statistical inference.

This seems to be the method you adopt on pretty much every subject; you start with undeniable (to your mind) axioms and try to impose them on reality. When reality varies from what your axioms tell you should exist, you dismiss all empirical evidence and adopt your "hold your breath until you turn blue" strategy, insisting that A must lead to B even if it doesn't.

As Spock would say "Fascinating".

MB

Moves
24 Mar 13

The official inflation rate in 2012 according to US government statistics was 2.1%. Let's say the "real" figure was 4% (or whatever you think it is). How does that support Austrian economics exactly?
If the inflation rate is wrong so is GDP, for example. You can't manipulate one thing without it affecting others.
You can't prove Austrian Economics wrong if the data you are using is wrong to begin with. That is just common sense.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Mar 13

If the inflation rate is wrong so is GDP, for example. You can't manipulate one thing without it affecting others.
You can't prove Austrian Economics wrong if the data you are using is wrong to begin with. That is just common sense.
A theory that a priori discards empirical evidence, as Austrian School economics does, can be immediately placed in the category of pseudoscience. Empirical science should rely on empirical evidence.

MB

Moves
24 Mar 13

A theory that a priori discards empirical evidence, as Austrian School economics does, can be immediately placed in the category of pseudoscience. Empirical science should rely on empirical evidence.
You have discarded all of the evidence I have provided you that the CPI is flawed. Shameful for somebody who claims to be a man of science. If the CPI is flawed so is the "so called" empirical evidence.

You are clearly not interested in examining anything. I'll bet you didn't even read the link I provided. It is no mystery why you have accomplished little in the field of physics. You lack all the critical thinking skills that all great physicists have. You should read "The Trouble With Physics" by Lee Smolin. You could learn something from him.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Mar 13

You have discarded all of the evidence I have provided you that the CPI is flawed. Shameful for somebody who claims to be a man of science. If the CPI is flawed so is the "so called" empirical evidence.

You are clearly not interested in examining anything. I'll bet you didn't even read the link I provided. It is no mystery why you have accomplished l ...[text shortened]... should read "The Trouble With Physics" by Lee Smolin. You could learn something from him.
Your blog article doesn't really show that the CPI is "flawed"; it just argues that because there have been changes in its methodology that this "proves" some sort of government conspiracy. Actually it does nothing of the kind; there has been a longstanding debate in economics about the methodology of the CPI which is based on an unchanging basket of goods even though we know what consumers buy varies over time. There is a different measure of price inflation called the GNP deflator which is based on overall spending in the economy. You can use that if you want, but disappointingly for conspiracy theorists there isn't much difference in results over time between it and any version of the CPI.