19 Jul '17 22:31
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

what a fantastical, logical and consistent system of units
    Indeed. EVERYONE should learn EVERY unitπŸ™‚
  2. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 15:08
    In Germany pipes for gas and plumbing are in inches.Loudspeakers,TV and computer screens still use inches.Car and cycle wheels are also measured in inches.
    πŸ™„
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 15:36
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    In Germany pipes for gas and plumbing are in inches.Loudspeakers,TV and computer screens still use inches.Car and cycle wheels are also measured in inches.
    πŸ™„
    But petrol is in liters, right?
  4. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 15:46
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    But petrol is in liters, right?
    NO, litres.πŸ˜‰
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 15:48
    FWIW, although Celsius makes (slightly) more sense scientifically, I like Fahrenheit much better for measuring temps. First, the fact that the degrees are smaller makes the temperature measurement more precise. More importantly, I happen to live in a climate where 0 F is just about the lowest temp we ever reach (I remember a temp as low as -7, but temps below 0 are extremely rare) and 100 F is just about the highest temp we ever reach (I remember a 102 once but 100, again, is just about the maximum we reach). Having the 0-100 scale being right about the extremes of realistic air temperature is quite a logical way of doing things. Dealing with negative numbers as air temperatures is a little more clunky.

According to some sources I've seen, Fahrenheit himself had similar thoughts in mind when he developed his scale.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 16:14
    Originally posted by @sh76
    FWIW, although Celsius makes (slightly) more sense scientifically, I like Fahrenheit much better for measuring temps. First, the fact that the degrees are smaller makes the temperature measurement more precise. More importantly, I happen to live in a climate where 0 F is just about the lowest temp we ever reach (I remember a temp as low as -7, but temps below ...[text shortened]... sources I've seen, Fahrenheit himself had similar thoughts in mind when he developed his scale.
    Both scales are completely arbitrary - when do you really need to know the freezing and boiling points of water? Remembering that negative temperatures correspond to freezing temperatures outside isn't significantly easier than remembering 32F.

This whole thread is silly. Ask a random American to draw a line of 4 inches and the average European to draw a line of 10cm and they'll not differ significantly in their error. Ask any of them to do an elementary unit conversion and most likely they'll screw it up.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 17:181 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Both scales are completely arbitrary - when do you really need to know the freezing and boiling points of water? Remembering that negative temperatures correspond to freezing temperatures outside isn't significantly easier than remembering 32F.

This whole thread is silly. Ask a random American to draw a line of 4 inches and the average European to d ...[text shortened]... error. Ask any of them to do an elementary unit conversion and most likely they'll screw it up.
    Yes, they're both arbitrary. But if you're going to create an arbitrary system, creating one where 100 and 0 are roughly the maximum and minimum air temps in your climate is a pretty good idea.
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 17:23
    ...This whole thread is silly. Ask a random American to draw a line of 4 inches and the average European to draw a line of 10cm and they'll not differ significantly in their error. Ask any of them to do an elementary unit conversion and most likely they'll screw it up.
    It makes sense if you live in the northern hemisphere to have farenheight, if 0 (-32°f) is as cold as it typically gets.
    But in the southern hemisphere, knowing that 0° Centigrade is the temperature above which ice melts makes for a good benchmark as to whether you want to go swimming. Or that at -4° C you'll be dead in the water within about 4 minutes. The number of days in any given year that the temp goes below zero I can usually count on a mangled left hand. (apart from the Australian Alps)

The funny things is because I grew up with SI units, and having held a 30cm rule for at least 10 yrs at school, small measurements always make sense in cm. Yet when you bend your thumb, from the tip to the joint, you get roughly an inch or 2.5 cm or 2.54 cm to be more precise. That was great to know, because back in the days before Google maps, if you wanted to gauge the distance between two suburbs/towns on a map, you held your thumb against the map scale and viola, you had a literal rule of thumb to estimate distance.

Yet, even though I did all my schooling using MKS, I still cant estimate height in anything but feet and inches. Dont tell me an actor a is 198 cm. I have to think about it, take away 183 cm (6ft) and divide the remainder by 2.5 to get the inches. But tell me she was 5'5", or he was 6'2", I get it instantly.

It's all just a little bit odd.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 17:39
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Yes, they're both arbitrary. But if you're going to create an arbitrary system, creating one where 100 and 0 are roughly the maximum and minimum air temps in your climate is a pretty good idea.
    Makes no difference. People get used to associating numbers with how the temperature feels like.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 02:56
    Makes no difference. People get used to associating numbers with how the temperature feels like.
    Except with Celsius, that feeling is connected to something absolute at sea level. 0°C water freezes, 100°C water boils. Boiling equals steam equals hazard is less arbitrary than a sense of the hottest or lowest air temperature you are likely to experience, which only really has an upper northern hemisphere application. Using Celsius, you are also immediately aware of snow/ice hazard as the temperature plummets towards and below zero into negative territory.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 03:14
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Except with Celsius, that feeling is connected to something absolute at sea level. 0°C water freezes, 100°C water boils. Boiling equals steam equals hazard is less arbitrary than a sense of the hottest or lowest air temperature you are likely to experience, which only really has an upper northern hemisphere application. Using Celsius, you are also immediatel ...[text shortened]... e of snow/ice hazard as the temperature plummets towards and below zero into negative territory.
    Base 12 for everything. Divides nicely by halves, thirds, quarters and sixths. We'd just need to come up with two new numerals and turn the world unside down.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 03:45
    Wheeeeeee!!

Wow, Imperial system is fun!

who knew it could be so much fun?
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 05:49
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Base 12 for everything. Divides nicely by halves, thirds, quarters and sixths. We'd just need to come up with two new numerals and turn the world unside down.
    Or base 16, which makes sense when you cut up a lot of pizza.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 07:33
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Or base 16, which makes sense when you cut up a lot of pizza.
    Pizzas are best cut in sixths. Then you can share the pizza fairly with one or two friends.
    Pizzas cut in eighths can only be shared with one or three friends, not with two.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 08:17
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    @ and * have been the "new" numerals for base 12 since the stone age.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree