Insanity Is Taking Over Canada

Insanity Is Taking Over Canada

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
27 Jan 16

http://iwf.org/blog/2799131/Alberta,-Canada's-Progressive-New-Government-Bans-the-Words-%22Mother%22-and-%22Father%22-in-Schools

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FishHead111
http://iwf.org/blog/2799131/Alberta,-Canada's-Progressive-New-Government-Bans-the-Words-%22Mother%22-and-%22Father%22-in-Schools
So language must now be gender neutral. No him, her, mr. mrs, mother, father, daddy, mommy.

Hi my gender neutral parent, what gender ARE you anyway? For that matter, what gender am I? Oh, I forgot, you are not allowed to tell me. Got it, my loving parent.

w

Moves
27 Jan 16

May I also suggest giving people numbers instead of names.

After all, names often imply gender.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Jan 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
So language must now be gender neutral. No him, her, mr. mrs, mother, father, daddy, mommy.

Hi my gender neutral parent, what gender ARE you anyway? For that matter, what gender am I? Oh, I forgot, you are not allowed to tell me. Got it, my loving parent.
Maybe this is a sneaky way to conceal the transgender. 😏

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
27 Jan 16

It's like some kind of Orwellian 1984 thing going on glad I won't live to see the final outcome.
The Social Justice Warriors seem to be winning and are in power in Canuck land.
Oh jeez did I say Canuck holeee molee I gotta be silenced and sent to a re-education camp.
May as well put Pol Pot in charge.

w

Moves
27 Jan 16

It's like some kind of Orwellian 1984 thing going on glad I won't live to see the final outcome.
The Social Justice Warriors seem to be winning and are in power in Canuck land.
Oh jeez did I say Canuck holeee molee I gotta be silenced and sent to a re-education camp.
May as well put Pol Pot in charge.
No worries, Trump will negotiate and become friends with them.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
27 Jan 16

The Independent Woman's Forum is your "go to" site for Canadian Education Policy?

D

Moves
27 Jan 16
1 edit

Moves
28 Jan 16

And in their next breathe they'll insist they are for freedom of speech.
Insanity is the right word...

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
28 Jan 16

Looks like the Danes are nutty too:
http://news.yahoo.com/why-teen-who-fended-off-attacker-now-faces-charges-205439785.html

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 16

Originally posted by sonhouse

Why does it matter to you what gender I am or what gender your parent is? What conclusions do you draw from that knowledge? Surely the only possible outcome is sexism?

If you actually read the article linked in the OP, you would find that it is not about children asking their parents what gender they are (most children know this already and don't need the school to tell them), its about schools making sexist assumptions or assumptions with other bias. I generally agree with the guidelines suggested forward.

Society too often assumes that families are the supposedly traditional 'mother , father, daughter, son' pattern. The reality is that such families are not even in the majority. I am willing to bet that more than half of the children in my sons school do not live with both their biological parents.

I am a single parent and being a single male parent is unusual. I am often offended by the fact that schools and other organizations tend to assume that a child must have both parents, that they are the biological parents and that the mother has priority.

I believe you have in the past said that you have an adopted child. Do you not get offended if forms or schools assume that you must be the child's biological parent?

It seems perfectly reasonable for me for any school to put 'parent / guardian' where ever they would traditionally have put 'mother' or 'father'.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 16

Originally posted by stevemcc
And in their next breathe they'll insist they are for freedom of speech.
Insanity is the right word...
Insanity is posting an opinion accusing others of insanity without actually reading the article.

A school putting 'Boy's mother' on a form is not a case of exercising free speech and having a guideline that suggests putting 'Child's parent / guardian' is not a case of infringing on free speech.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 16
1 edit

I challenge anyone here to give a good reason why a School should distinguish on their form whether a given name or contact number is the Child's mother or father or step father or guardian.
If the child is injured should you call the mother first or the father? If so, why?
Which one do you call when the child has bad grades?

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
28 Jan 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Why does it matter to you what gender I am or what gender your parent is? What conclusions do you draw from that knowledge? Surely the only possible outcome is sexism?

If you actually read the article linked in the OP, you would find that it is not about children asking their parents what gender they are (most children know this already and don't need ...[text shortened]... ol to put 'parent / guardian' where ever they would traditionally have put 'mother' or 'father'.
Do you call you child ze or zir?

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jan 16
1 edit

Do you call you child ze or zir?
I call him by name. I would prefer his name on class lists also be un-prefixed.

I take it that you are not up for the challenge I posed.

You'll notice I have used 'his' and 'him' because English is a sexist language. If it was Mandarin I could have simply said ta, and you would not know whether I was talking about a boy or a girl and probably wouldn't care.