1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 17:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I lived in Thailand for several years up country and they say 'cop coon cop' (thank you) if you are male and cop coon crop if you are female as one example.

I really suck at languages, I now after years of study🙂 can count to ten in Thai, Hebrew AND Spanish🙂
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 19:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I lived in Thailand for several years up country and they say 'cop coon cop' (thank you) if you are male and cop coon crop if you are female as one example.
    And some European languages go all out out and assign gender to everything.

Have you read the article in the OP yet? Do you actually disagree with it or did you just get taken in by the attention seeking thread title?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 19:05
    I notice Fishhead has failed to articulate why he thinks the policies in the article suggest insanity.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 19:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead

Have you read the article in the OP yet? Do you actually disagree with it or did you just get taken in by the attention seeking thread title?
    That seems to be a complaint of the Jehovah's Witnesses against the Greek language because they believe the Holy Spirit should be an "it" or transgender. Ha. 😀
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 20:001 edit
    I call him by name. I would prefer his name on class lists also be un-prefixed.

I take it that you are not up for the challenge I posed.

You'll notice I have used 'his' and 'him' because English is a sexist language. If it was Mandarin I could have simply said ta, and you would not know whether I was talking about a boy or a girl and probably wouldn't care.
    Well hell, Spanish,French, other languages use masculine/feminine for every item you can name, why don't you go after them?
    Objecting to calling a little boy or girl he or she and claiming English is sexist is asinine, as is taking away Mr Mrs Miss and going with Mx or whatever.
    It's retarded. .
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:03
    Insanity is posting an opinion accusing others of insanity without actually reading the article.

A school putting 'Boy's mother' on a form is not a case of exercising free speech and having a guideline that suggests putting 'Child's parent / guardian' is not a case of infringing on free speech.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:08
    [b
    You'll notice I have used 'his' and 'him' because English is a sexist language. If it was Mandarin I could have simply said ta, and you would not know whether I was talking about a boy or a girl and probably wouldn't care.[/b]
    Don't think you're as familiar with Chinese as you claim:
    http://dictionary.hantrainerpro.com/chinese-english/translation-ta_he.htm
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:09
    Insanity is posting an opinion accusing others of insanity without actually reading the article.

A school putting 'Boy's mother' on a form is not a case of exercising free speech and having a guideline that suggests putting 'Child's parent / guardian' is not a case of infringing on free speech.
    Try to follow this. You don't make the rules.
    What in the world makes you think you have the slightest case for dictating anyone's speech to them? You don't get to tell anyone anything about speech. Neither do I. Maybe you don't understand the expression 'free speech'. Maybe you don't understand language. Maybe you're too easily offended. In any and all of the above cases, you don't get to tell us anything at all about speech. Its very simple.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:09

Last time I checked, there are in fact males and females. Seems like it is artificial to force gender neutrality. Sure there is La nina and Nino and so forth, is there some huge moral crisis with that? I don't hear the Thai's complaining they can't say Crop when they are male of Cop when they are female. It's part of the culture and it just seems more like human engineering for a government to try to change a culture by decree.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    May I also suggest giving people numbers instead of names.

After all, names often imply gender.
    Sounds a bit like Ayn Rands, Anthem.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 00:04
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    Try to follow this. You don't make the rules.
    What in the world makes you think you have the slightest case for dictating anyone's speech to them? You don't get to tell anyone anything about speech. Neither do I. Maybe you don't understand the expression 'free speech'. Maybe you don't understand language. Maybe you're too easily offended. In any and all of the above cases, you don't get to tell us anything at all about speech. Its very simple.
    Freedom of speech is more about expression of ideas or opinions rather than insulting or side-lining people.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 00:05
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Well hell, Spanish,French, other languages use masculine/feminine for every item you can name, why don't you go after them?
    Objecting to calling a little boy or girl he or she and claiming English is sexist is asinine, as is taking away Mr Mrs Miss and going with Mx or whatever.
    It's retarded. .
    Ms rather than Miss or Mrs has been in general usage for decades.
    Why do you think that is?
    Retarded?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 00:18
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Ms rather than Miss or Mrs has been in general usage for decades.
    Why do you think that is?
    Retarded?
    That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, it was meant as a general term that doesn't denote whether a woman is married or not, it doesn't hide her sex.
    Try to stay on topic.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 06:52
    That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, it was meant as a general term that doesn't denote whether a woman is married or not, it doesn't hide her sex.
    Try to stay on topic.
    Ms was introduced to counter sexism inherent in the language; there
    being no male equivalent of miss/mrs and no female equivalent of mr.

If you think that is irrelevant to the discussion then more fool you.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 07:37
    I do, and did. See my earlier post doing just that.

Objecting to calling a little boy or girl he or she and claiming English is sexist is asinine,
    No, its just factual.

as is taking away Mr Mrs Miss and going with Mx or whatever. It's retarded.
    I don't think we need Mx. I think we could just drop them altogether.
    But no, its not retarded.
    I notice that you don't give any reasoning for your conclusion you just state it as if stating it makes it so. Give some reasoning to back up your claims and I will listen and maybe even be persuaded. Continue declaring anyone who disagrees with you 'insane', 'retarded' 'asinine' etc and I will just conclude that you know that you are wrong and are really upset about it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree