1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 May '16 22:401 edit
    http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/

I found this interesting. Notice that the IQ doesn't drop below 100, so we are talking above average intelligence here.

Perhaps it isn't societies' gender beliefs that are creating the gender difference in areas like Physics and Engineering. Based on this link, the gender differences may simply be the result of IQ.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 May '16 23:12
    Haven't IQ measurements been largely discredited?
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 May '16 00:07
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/

I found this interesting. Notice that the IQ doesn't drop below 100, so we are talking above average intelligence here.

Perhaps it isn't societies' gender beliefs that are creating the gender difference in areas like Physics and Engineering. Based on this link, the gender differences may simply be the result of IQ.
    The IQ scores were estimated from SAT scores. There was no correlation between the tests on verbal reasoning and subject. However there was a correlation between quantitative reasoning and subject. Unsurprisingly, people with good quantitative skills tend to do subjects like maths, physics, and engineering. People with poorer quantitative skills tended to go for non-quantitative subjects. None of this should come as a surprise. However this effect is more pronounced with men than it is with women.

Now we get to the problematic part. They estimated the IQ from the SAT score. This is a dubious piece of methodology as it introduces a bias towards physicists (not that I'll complain too much about that). With verbal reasoning it is generally difficult to get either a very bad score or a very good one. In quantitative tests it is a lot easier to get full marks, and it's easier to score really badly. This means that students who are not interested in maths will tend to score relatively badly in the quantitative tests - and this is not necessarily related to IQ.

What you are not taking into account is that men with good quantitative skills tend to do a quantitative subject. The graphs do show that women, on the other hand, are more likely to do a qualitative subject, even if they have good quantitative skills. The method for estimating IQ is biased towards the quantitative subjects so that a gender difference in IQ appears as an artifact of the methodology.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '16 00:08
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    Haven't IQ measurements been largely discredited?
    NO
    Where did you get that idea from ?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '16 00:10
    I notice African Studies didn't make the list.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    04 May '16 01:47
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    NO
    Stephen Jay Gould.
    IQ measures what privileged citizens learn and do not measure native intelligence. In short, they are tests with a built in bias toward the status quo.
    Do you disagree?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 May '16 02:461 edit
    NO
    Do you think IQ is something real, like a nose? It's a goddamn number dreamed up by goddamn psychologists, and all it proves is that farmers aren't as smart as psychologists. If the farmers had enough time to waste to make up an IQ system, the psychologists would all come out morons and the farmers geniuses. Because they'd give big credit for being able to grab a cow's teat right, and nothing at all for counting the number of triangles in some goddamn meaningless diagram.

- Herman Wouk, Marjorie Morningstar
  8. Germany
    Moves
    04 May '16 06:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you think IQ is something real, like a nose? It's a goddamn number dreamed up by goddamn psychologists, and all it proves is that farmers aren't as smart as psychologists. If the farmers had enough time to waste to make up an IQ system, the psychologists would all come out morons and the farmers geniuses. Because they'd give big credit for being able ...[text shortened]... triangles in some goddamn meaningless diagram.

- Herman Wouk, Marjorie Morningstar
    An IQ test is very good at measuring how well someone does at that particular IQ test - and doesn't mean a whole lot aside from that. But I guess you need a sufficiently high IQ to realize this.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 May '16 08:12

iq measures exactly one thing: how good you are at taking iq tests. that's all i wanted to say, i am not going to engage you in another of your sexist/racist rants.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '16 09:50
    Based on this link, the gender differences may simply be the result of IQ.
    Based on your interpretation of that link, we can say something about your IQ. We should n not however make the conclusion you did (and the author didn't either).
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '16 10:19

So I'm glad to see I'm not part of his "norm".

And btw, your last sentence makes no sense. Even the author of the study doesn't agree with you.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '16 10:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    An IQ test is very good at measuring how well someone does at that particular IQ test - and doesn't mean a whole lot aside from that. But I guess you need a sufficiently high IQ to realize this.
    Spend an hour in a room full of people that score 120+ on an IQ test, then spend an hour with a group that score less than 80. Get back to us on how there's no difference between them.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 May '16 11:21
    Spend an hour in a room full of people that score 120+ on an IQ test, then spend an hour with a group that score less than 80. Get back to us on how there's no difference between them.
    great example. compare those that do quite well to those that are borderline retarded. that's helpful.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '16 12:35
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    great example. compare those that do quite well to those that are borderline retarded. that's helpful.
    It IS a great example for those that question the validity of IQ tests.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 May '16 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    It's common for people to commit the logical fallacy of assuming the conclusion they set out to prove.

It's much less common for someone to actually assume the conclusion they set out to disprove.

Well done! You've accomplished an uncommon feat.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree