1. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 19:42
    Originally posted by scherzo
    No democracy exists. I'm glad you've seen the light.

Iran's about as close as you can get though.
    You need to go there and be happy. Right now.
  2. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 20:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Agreed. The two party monopoly system has circumvented the "democratic" process. So is that suppose to make me feel any better? Sure you can vote for Joe Blow who is not from one of the two parties, that is, if you want to vote for a loser.
    the republican party was a 3rd party
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 21:10
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Some of it isn't, but the stories of guards shooting into crowds doesn't really help - there are better ways.

Like I said, it depends on what you mean by "crack down". Putting the leader of the opposition into house arrest is ridiculous and definitely a bad sign.
    Rioting crowds.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 21:10
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    You need to go there and be happy. Right now.
    Yes SIR!
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 21:38
    Rioting crowds.
    Vague response.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 22:193 edits
    No democracy exists. I'm glad you've seen the light.

Iran's about as close as you can get though.
    Saying Iran is as close to a democracy as you can get was an astonishingly stupid thing to say. I don't think the women of Iran would agree with you. The people who can't speak their mind freely certainly wouldn't think so either.
  7. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 22:33
    Saying Iran is as close to a democracy as you can get was an astonishingly stupid thing to say. I don't think the women of Iran would agree with you.
    I don't think the women of Iran have much to do with it. Women's suffrage is a pretty "new" concept in the scheme of things even in the "most" democratic countries -- it was only established completely in the U.S. in 1920, for instance, and recognized as a human right in 1948 by the U.N. Even the right of black men to vote was recognized in the U.S. before women's right.

Still, I agree, it was an astonishingly stupid thing to say.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 23:15
    Vague response.
    Would you like to be in the middle of the rioting crowd and call that vague?
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 23:16
    Saying Iran is as close to a democracy as you can get was an astonishingly stupid thing to say. I don't think the women of Iran would agree with you. The people who can't speak their mind freely certainly wouldn't think so either.
    Iran has universal suffrage, even for women.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 23:32
    Would you like to be in the middle of the rioting crowd and call that vague?
    Would you like to be in the ocean on a boat? Your question is equally as irrelevant.

First of all, not all the demonstrations have been violent from what I understand and it would take a very big deal for me to think shooting into the crowd would be justified - in fact I think it almost never is.

Even if some of the demonstrations have become violent, there is still the underlying issues that caused the demonstrations that would need to be dealt with.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 23:332 edits
    Iran has universal suffrage, even for women.
    Tell that to this 16 year old girl:

YouTube&feature=related

"EVEN" women can vote? Wow scherzo. You let a lot slip out with that wording.
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 00:58
    Tell that to this 16 year old girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOrrNY4Q-c&feature=related

"EVEN" women can vote? Wow scherzo. You let a lot slip out with that wording.
    Sorry, 18 and above. That's the only restriction. Same with men. It's like the US.
  13. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 00:59
    Would you like to be in the ocean on a boat? Your question is equally as irrelevant.

First of all, not all the demonstrations have been violent from what I understand and it would take a very big deal for me to think shooting into the crowd would be justified - in fact I think it almost never is.

Even if some of the demonstrations have become viol ...[text shortened]... is still the underlying issues that caused the demonstrations that would need to be dealt with.
    Like, why are they rioting for the results of a democratic election?
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 01:10
    Like, why are they rioting for the results of a democratic election?
    Well, yes. It sounds to me that they might have some reason to.
  15. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 01:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    All indications are that the elections in Iran were rigged, so what does the US have to say about that? What can they say about that? After all, Obama did not win the popular majority vote in his own party yet won the nomination and McCain won the nomination in the Republican party long before many in the party had a chance to even vote for or against him.

Are there really any democracies out there or is it just all smoke and mirrors?
    News flash.. We don't live in a perfect world! Elections get rigged sometimes. Grow up will ya, America is not here to police the entire world. I know you voted for McCain and LOST. Stop acting like a sore loser and let the president do his job....and have a nice day!😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree